Craft Ideas For Mission Trip

In July I will be going on a mission trip to the Ensenada area of Mexico with Azusa Pacific U on a Family Mission trip. The groups are split up and do construction work for the church they are assigned to and a VBS for children. They also do crafts with the ladies.

I am trying to figure out useful crafts for the ladies that they would be able to really use and enjoy. They have to be relatively short in length. So far I have only come up with a pot scrubber made of nylon netting. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Harriet from Lakewood, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

How about flower pens? Take the silk flowers and about a 1-inch stem from silk bouquets. Hold flower at top of pen and wrap stem and pen together with green floral tape.

How about a sugar scrub for their hands and feet?

If it was me, I'd take glass beads (must be larger than seed beads or it's too hard to work with) , plastic streach string (made for beading) 1 bottle of clear nail polish(to put on the finishing knots) and make streachy bead bracelets. If you want to get fancy, buy charms that symbolize what your mission is about--friendship, hope, love--and add one to each bracelet.

They would be innexpensive, take up a small amount of luggange space, be quick to make, and produce something that I myself would really want to have. I wear several every day to the office.

Have a wonderful time.

Londa

how about some of the thrifty crafts on this site. there is one on this very newsletter. coffee cans, beads and some other containers and paper could make a storage something

I googled the web with the same question and stumbled across this page! I haven't tried this yet but heard it is good - embroidering purses - can get cheap ones from Michaels, etc. The ladies love it because they are already skilled at it and they have a chance to show US how to do it.

Ok - I am back from my own trip with some great results.

Note: we didn't have hot glue guns or electricity

With the ladies, we crafted:

1) Journals - 1/2 sheets of paper (about 20) with manila folder material on the front/back. Punched holes and bound with ribbon. Decorated front with homemade stamps. (How to make stamps: take styrofoam like from a meat package, cut into a square, indent with pencil with desired shaps and wham-o: custom stamp)

2) small bags - they loved gluing and sweing ribbons and such on these

3) headbands - bought plain plastic ones from Oriental Trading company and wrapped them with ribbon and/or fabric in varous methods. Glue to adhere. Loved it.

Answer

Crafts AdviceMay 7, 2008
Visiting the San Juan Capistrano Mission
Visiting San Juan Capistrano (CA)
Native Wildflowers
Native Wildflower Rescue Groups
Stacks of colorful boxes used for organizing.
Name Ideas for an Organizing Business
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 30, 2016 at 11:46:56 AM on 10.0.1.14 in 295 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.