Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Restoring Whites Washed With Red Clothing

I accidentally washed two of my husband's white shirts with a red sheet, and of course they turned pink. Somebody told me to use Rit dye remover, but the store was out. So I bought Carbona. I followed the directions on the box and like magic the shirts are now white again. It works wonders!

By Dana from Shepherdsville, KY

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Reds Washed With Whites

Can anyone give me an idea as to how to get red out of a load of whites that got washed with a red item? I used bleach, but that didn't work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jacquelyn from Walker, LA

RE: Reds Washed With Whites

I did the same thing, haven't we all? You can get a whitener in the Rit dye section of your store that will take it out. Joyce (10/25/2006)

By Grandma Bess

RE: Reds Washed With Whites

I did this. What I did was wash with bleach, re-wash with bleach and re-wash with bleach. About 3 times should do it. Now I really watch what goes in my whites. Might take 4 times but got the job done. (10/25/2006)

By maggie3956

RE: Reds Washed With Whites

You can also get something by shout or Spray and Wash that will take the dye out. Never tried it, so I don't know how well it will work (10/27/2006)

By Tricia

Archive: Reds Washed With Whites

A red sock snuck in with my whites that were supposed to be washed in cold. The water was set for warm. How can I get my whites back to white?

By rustyboras from Flint, MI

RE: Reds Washed With Whites

If it's a solid white garment, soak it in Murphy's Oil Soap. Don't know where I got the idea from but I have used it to get my whites white again. (06/03/2009)

By LAKELL

RE: Reds Washed With Whites

There is a product by Rit called Color Remover. It is found in the laundry aisle. I used it a few years ago and it worked great. Good luck! (06/03/2009)

By Happy05