Homemade Liquid Shoe Stretch

How do I make shoe stretcher spray?

By Joe from NY

I worked in the shoe business for over 30 years. You can make shoe stretch by combining equal parts rubbing alcohol and water, BUT the most important thing is the stretcher itself. You have to soak the leather until thoroughly wet then use a form inside of the wet leather to stretch where needed. We used an old wooden shoe form that would spread apart as we turned a screw. It had attachments for bunions areas and etc. Unless you have a good mechanical stretcher, no liquid will work. I've heard of people spraying the shoe and then trying to wear it to make it stretch- it will not work! It'll actually compress the leather (and your foot) and make the shoe smaller! (And hard to get off!) Hope this helps.

Anonymous

in the shoe shop did you still use the 50/50 liquid or did you use the stretcher with heat? if you suggest heat with a mens casual leather shoe about what temp and how long at temp? Thank you!!

Use body lotion. I have had good luck using body lotion or hand lotion to rub into the inside of the shoe where it needs to be stretched, then wearing it. Wearing thicker socks also helps. I have a two way shoe stretcher which works well for length and width but if the shoe is tight in the vamp/instep, the shoe stretcher doesn't work there. So I just work a liberal amount of lotion inside the shoe all around the whole area that is tight. The shoe stretcher does not widen the toe or raise the toe either, so I dampen a wad of tissue, wedge it in just right, and then force it with the shoe stretcher for a day or two to dry.

@ Tizzette,

You might want to position the stretcher at 90 degrees from the normal position, in the instep, and try opening the stretcher.

We used to use this method on boots purchased by customers who had a high insteps. We also would use a stretching solution, when doing this. Allow the boots to sit overnight, at least. If need be, do multiple times.

Also, make sure your leather has dried, before removing the stretcher, or the leather will want to shrink back to its original shape, and size!

The best way to stretch your leather boots is to mix 1/3 cup of rubbing alcohol with 2/3 cup hottest tolerable water a cap or two of fabric softener mix it all well then put 3/4 of the mixture into a spay bottle, sorry the mixture inside of your boot in the area/s you want to stretch, then with the 1/4 that is left over pour it onto your socks in the areas that you need the extra room put the boots on and wear them for the day. Top Tip.. DONT GO OVERBOARD WITH THE SPRAY. You can do it over a couple of days to get the best fit. I just stretched my new Doctor Martins using this exact method 2 days and they feel like they were custom made for my foot. OHH DONT SPREY THE OUT SIDE OF THE BOOTS. Good luck guys n girls. Seize 11/8/2017

I put plastic bags in the shoe, fill with water, seal tightly, and freeze. That will stretch the shoe.