Unclogging a Bathroom Drain

How do I unclog a drain?

By Laurie

A plumber once told me if you can't clear out a drain with a plunger you need a plumber.

A bathtub normally has a trap that collects gunk going through the drain. If you can access the trap you can clean it out and your problem is solved.

A sink clogs in the pipe that is shaped like a sideways S. Sometimes this pipe is connected with easily turnable tabs/nuts and you can clean out the clog after removing it and easily put it back. It usually makes a mess when you remove it so put down some towels.

Try pouring some baking soda in there. Then follow it with vinegar.

Just this week I had the kitchen sink/garbage disposal side, back up. I poured a cup of baking soda ( in both sides of the sink ) followed by about 3-4 cups of white vinegar( I just poured if from the gal. jug) in the water that was standing there and turned on the hot water and garbage disposal and that worked right away. I let the water run in the disposal and then poured a couple of tablespoonsful of liquid dish soap with it.

Worked and No Plummer bill. GG Vi

January 8, 2010 Flag

How do I unclog a bathroom drain?

Kathy from Fort Myers, FL

Unclogging Stubborn Bathroom Drain

thriftyfun.com (09/15/2008)

Unclogging Stubborn Bathroom Drain

Try pouring 1/4 cup of baking soda down the drain, then quickly pour 1 cup of vinegar and close the drain as fast as you can. Let sit for about ten minutes and flush with hot water. Sometimes bathroom sinks get plugged with hair that is just below the drain, you can't see it in the pipes. Try using a piece of wire to poke in the drain and pull up any hair that might be there.

Good luck. (09/16/2008)

Unclogging Stubborn Bathroom Drain

Maybe try using a drain snake.
Good luck. (09/19/2008)

By sewingseeker

Unclogging Bathroom Drain

I read an article in Readers Digest last week about a family who wants to stop spending so much money. He said he went to thriftyfun.com and was told to pour Dawn dishwashing liquid into the drain followed by a lot of boiling water. He said it worked like a charm. Good luck.

Editor's Note: I talked to the author on the phone and told him that had worked for me declogging a kitchen drain. It has been very effective in unclogging toilets, but I've found it does work for other drains as well.

If the drain is clogged with hair however, the hair should be removed with a hook on a coat hanger first, for bath and bathroom sink drains. (10/01/2008)

By Sherryann

Unclogging Bathroom Drain

I have lived in this apartment for 4 years, and always had a slow drain. The other night the handle thing that lowers and brings the drain up, stopped working. The maintenance man said that is what made it drain so slow. It works fine now, since he replaced the drain plug. (10/02/2008)

By jwrh626

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathroom Sink
Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomJanuary 8, 2010
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System