Asphalt or composite roof tiles can easily get moss growing between them. Getting rid of the moss will help extend the life of your roof tiles. This is a guide about removing moss from asphalt roof tiles.
Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".
For the past 30 years I have done the following:
Dilute plain laundry bleach with water, one part bleach and three parts water. Apply with a pump garden sprayer. Apply when the moss is reasonably dry and thirsty like several days after the last rain. Wet it all; any you miss will not be killed.
In a few days the moss will turn brown and can be swept/brushed away. I just leave the dead moss alone and eventually it will go away. Anyone concerned about the bleach on the roof understand that sunlight will neutralize the chlorine shortly.
By Caidok from Poulsbo, WA
Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!
Here are questions related to Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles.
How long do you allow the bleach solution to soak into the roof moss? Do you rinse with water afterwards?
By Bruce T from Victoria, BC
By Sandi/Poor But Proud 04/10/2015
I use dollar store (or any powder) laundry detergent. Seriously. If scattered on the moss, it turns it brown and kills the roots. You then simply brush it off with a brown.
As a former property manager, I used this method for my sidewalks. It's cheap and easy to do. I hope this helps. Here are some other things you can do.
http://www.loghouseplants.com/blogs ... sy-harmless-ways-to-get-rid-of-moss/
Can I use Dawn dish soap and water to get rid of moss on an asphalt roof?
By Sandi/Poor But Proud 09/25/2013
It will make so much slimy work it isn't worth it. I used dollar store laundry detergent, sprinkle it on and in four days it is brown and the roots are dead. Most of the time you can just brush it off with a broom. I hope that helps.
I am at the moment using a regular broom can I use a wire brush?
By Joan A from Courtenay, B.C.
You never want to use a wire brush on shingles of any kind especially asphalt shingles as it will begin to remove the little rocks that protect the shingle. Just a nylon scrub brush should do the trick.
Where can you find zinc sulphite? Is it readily available at any hardware store or a custom store/order item?
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove Moss from my asphalt roof tile. I remember hearing about a laundry detergent but I can't remember which one?
Laura From BC
By Michael, Vancouver B.C. Moss Capitol of the World
You can use Tide Laundry detergent or bleach to kill the moss.
If you use Tide, however, it will pull the oils out of composition shingles and cause the granules to drop. This kills the moss but destroys your roof.
You can use bleach, but I recommend zinc sulphate over bleach any day because it also prevents future moss from growing for at least a year if applied according to directions.
Mix for bleach water is 3 qts (1 bottle) of 6% bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) to 3.75 gallons of water. This yields 4.5 gallons of water, almost a full five gallon bucket.
Wet the roof from the bottom up. (So you don't get drip lines as the bleach water bleaches out mildew stains etc. (06/27/2007)
I am a single mom and was up on my roof cleaning moss off (with my shoe!) yesterday. It worked! I did not use any water. It was a dry day, and I did not slip because nothing was wet. I think I'll be getting some zinc sulfate or copper strips next, and shoving them up under the top row of shingles on my roof. Even these release minute particles of toxins, but better slow release of minute particles over years than all of us dumping gallons of Round Up or bleach off our roofs every year. Let's stay posted for even less toxic solutions in the future. (06/28/2009)
Wrong! Zinc sulfate. Used it anyway through Miracle Grow hose thing, sprayed on roof, got none on me, half hour. later my face, eyes and arms were burning for 4 hours. It hardened into cement in the spray thing and has not killed the moss. I am looking at PH now, I guess moss likes acidity, (oak trees) lime or ammonia might do it as a neutralizer to acid,and won't poison my dogs. Of course,I am not sure what lime will do to the roof, they say Calcite or Dolomite lime. Then I was thinking Dawn dish detergent. I will find something, eventually that won't kill us and the roof. It's too bad about bleach, I almost used it,. It would have worked. I will NEVER fool with that Moss Out again! Safe, no it isn't! I'm going to check out that Round UP also. (07/21/2009)
By Buster 23