Are Grounds From Flavored Coffee Good For Roses?

Question:

I've heard that used coffee grounds are good for rose bushes. Can the grounds from flavored coffees also be used?

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Answer:

Maryeileen,

This is a tough one. My initial response is no, it is not a good idea to use the grounds from flavored coffee on your rose bushes. However, it really just depends on the ingredients. The main problem is that many flavored coffees contain added sugars or powdered creams to create certain flavors. This is especially true of instant flavored coffees. When used grounds or leftover coffee containing these ingredients is added to the soil, it can create an imbalance in the soil's chemistry that encourages insects and mold. And as you know, roses can be somewhat susceptible to mold problems as it is.

I don't know of any specific tests or studies to point you to, and I don't drink flavored coffee, so I can't speak from personal experience. If you decide to try it, I would recommend using only small amounts of grounds, and digging them slightly into the soil. I have heard some gardeners say that one of the added benefits of using regular used coffee grounds around their roses (grounds void of creams or sugars) is that the grounds actually work to keep insects away.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

yes they can!! my mom has several varieties of rose bushes in her yard climbing tea mini and different types she uses grounds all the time and we go to strar bucks for the free bags they give out of them for your garden!!!! they are so tich and dark in color

Not sure about the coffee grounds, but I heard that there's some enzyme or mineral in banana peels and onions that when you bury them in the soil around your roses that the roses will have stronger smell.

ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
Home and Garden Gardening FertilizerJune 19, 2008
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate
🎄