Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Category Beverages
If you want to make more than one pot of coffee from you ground coffee, it is best to do it within the same day or the grounds can get moldy very quickly. This is a guide about using coffee grounds more than once.

Money is tight, and we love our morning coffee. I found a way to save 50%. I find the brand name on sale, and buy the darkest roast (look for scale on tin). Brew a full batch of coffee, pour into pitcher. Then fill reservoir with water again. Using the same grounds, brew again. When finished, pour in with first batch. Mix. Now you have 20 cups of coffee for the cost of 10. Remember: dark roast and regular strength cost the same! I strongly suggest using brand name (there is a difference in this case), and you can also use coupons! Live Thrifty!

Top Comment

This month's Consumers' Reports magazine gave 8:00 coffee their 'Best Buy' rating. I buy it at the local grocery store, though different stores have different varieties...I like strong coffee and find the Italian Roast does well for a thrifty price. Try the regular blend and if it's not to your taste, move up to the French or Italian (darker/more bitter) roasts. They also make hazelnut and vanilla flavored coffees. Whole bean or ground.

To save money on coffee, I get three 12 oz. cups from one and one half scoops of grounds. I use a reusable conical shaped 4 coffee cup filter in a wide soup/coffee cup and slowly pour boiling water into the first cup with one scoop of grounds. I let that steep for five minutes, then enjoy the coffee. The filter is placed on a saucer.

For the second cup, I add a half scoop more of grounds and the coffee is allowed to steep for five minutes. After that cup, I pour in more boiling water for a third cup, and the grounds are allowed to steep for 5-10 minutes with me stirring the grounds to get the most from them. I don't feel deprived, I get all the caffeine from the grounds and the compost pile gets them next. My coffee cans last a long time.

By TGallagher from Live Oak, TX

Coffee grounds that are left in the maker day after day and reused can mold can make you ill. This is a guide about warning: don't reuse coffee grounds day after day.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is possible to to use coffee grounds more than once? How should they be stored? Do I need to add any extra fresh grounds to them when I use them a second time? Thank you for any help.

By yarnlady from PA

Answers:

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I tried that way back, when coffee went sky high and everyone was talking about doing it. None of the methods suggested gave anywhere near satisfactory results. I would rather drink less coffee and have it decent. (06/01/2009)

By Mary T

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

In a drip coffeemaker: We re-use the grounds on the same day/morning. Add about half the usual amount of fresh grounds to the used grounds to get a second full pot of coffee. Fill water to the normal amount and brew. It is satisfactory for us. Rumor has it some churches and other social gathering places do this also. (06/03/2009)

By kidsNclutter

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I agree with kidsNclutter but also a cone filter uses less grounds and makes stronger coffee, esp if you manually, very very slowly, pour the water in, a little at a time. We use a manual Melitta coffee pot/filter we buy at Amazon. We get good tasting coffee and use very little coffee, two small scoops per pot. The slower the water is poured, the better. Most coffee makers let the water through too quickly, so you need to use more coffee. (06/03/2009)

By karen608

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Around here we call that Irish Coffee : ) as my older relatives love to reuse the grounds. I am Irish too, but I have never developed the taste for reusing the grounds. I think a really good cup of coffee requires fresh coffee grounds. It is one of my few indulgences. I think I will go get a cup of hazlenut now! (06/04/2009)

By mulberry204

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I always use my coffee grinds more than once. The first pot is 2 scoops and for the next ones I add 1 scoop until the filter is full. I just don't like strong coffee. It taste ok to me. (06/04/2009)

By Joyce wis

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Unless you're a coffee snob, adding one half of the amount of coffee grounds for a second pot is just fine ;-) The taste difference is so minimal that it's worth the savings in money :-) (06/04/2009)

By Deeli

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I'm not sure about using grounds more than once, but I do know that you should grind your own beans (at home or at the store) and grind them much finer than pre-ground coffee and you'll need way less for a great, stronger cup of Joe. A Dutchman showed me that 20 years ago. (10/06/2009)

By Lisa M.

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I agree 100% with Lisa M. I grind my beans fresh every morning, and I give them an extra little push of the button to make them extra fine. You use less and the coffee is great, strong too like I like it! (10/25/2010)

By LuannD