Free Coffee Grounds for Your Garden at Starbucks

Category Fertilizer
Starbucks and other coffee shops offer free grounds to their customers. These bags of coffee grounds are a good amendment for your garden soil. This is a guide about getting free coffee grounds for your garden at Starbucks.

Used coffee grounds are a great, free fertilizer in your garden. Roses and acid-loving plants love it. Starbucks will give them to you free!

By Linda L. from Vista, CA

Top Comment

If you are a coffee drinker, you might offer grounds to others freely on freecycle or local recycle in your area as well!

In the spring and summer, Starbuck's has their Grounds for Growth, where they bag and give away free used coffee grounds. Spread these around under roses and any other acid loving plants. Recycling at its best!

By Linda

Top Comment

One can probably find coffee grounds at several different places close to home--a nursing home, a hospital, a convenience store, a small cafe, a nearby restaurant. If you talk to the manager they may be willing to save some for you.

Starbucks is trying to reduce their footprints in the environment and is giving out free coffee grounds for the garden. Coffee grounds are great to add to your soil to add nutrition to your plants. This also keeps the coffee grounds out of the landfills. Stop by your local Starbucks and see if they participate.

By Beth P. from Illinois

Answers:

Hi Beth, I have heard that coffee grounds were good for plants, but aren't they just good for acid loving plants? Thanks, I've often thought about it when throwing coffee grounds out! (02/24/2010)

By Nancy

Starbucks gives away bags of used coffee grounds free for the asking. Dump some on the ground of roses and other acid-loving plants and water. The coffee breaks down and feeds the plants and my roses have never been more beautiful or prolific.

By Linda

For more information visit:
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp

Answers:

We do love Starbucks! For those of us that garden organically, this type of corporate gift, is the best ever. It's black gold. My roses, hibiscus, hydrangeas and camellias have never looked better. A little espresso in the AM and some grounds to mix in when I get home has made me a better gardener. And the more better gardeners we have the better, 'cause we sure do need more gardeners in the world! Wahoo! (06/13/2004)

By Jaide

Is there a proper time of year to put the coffee grounds around the plants? Is now okay? (01/04/2005)

By Tamara

I put mine out any time of year. I don't know if it is snowing now where you live but I've added them to my garden year round and haven't had any problem with it.

(01/04/2005)

Susan from ThriftyFun