Saving Money on Coffee

Category Beverages
A daily beverage for many people, getting the most out of your coffee purchase is important. This guide is about saving money on coffee.

My daughter taught me this tip about saving money on coffee costs. She worked in a fancy coffee shop and they taught her tons about coffee, even though she is not a coffee drinker.

Grind your coffee very fine (espresso grind) and it will go much further. Only use half your normal amount of scoops to get the same or even darker pot of coffee. You may need to use a double filter in your drip coffee maker so no grounds get through.

We have been doing this for awhile now and are very pleased with the results. And, our coffee costs are going down so we are even able to purchase socially responsible coffee also.

By Suzanne from Bainbridge Island WA

I love my coffee, but the prices continue to go up so I am sharing some things that have helped me save $$ on my coffee.

1. Make your coffee at home and take it with you. This is a huge savings over even the senior coffee price at McDonald's.
  2. Ad

3. Make a smaller pot of coffee instead of the whole pot. I find I actually drink less if I make a smaller pot of coffee. After coffee is gone, I start drinking water all day.
  4. Buy your coffee in bulk when possible. We belong to Costco, they often have coupons on Folgers. I have also purchased on line through Amazon when they have coffee sales.
  5. I have a friend who buys green coffee beans and roasts her own. She said it is fun to do and saves her money.
  6. I also use coupons when they are in the paper and grocery flyers. Walmart, if you shop there, will take another store's ad and match the price.

There really is never a reason to pay full price for coffee.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

I adore great coffee but with the economy going wacko on my wallet, I've had to get creative. When I want that great flavor coffee, but can't afford the high cost, I buy one jar of my favorite and one cheap jar on sale then mix them together. I swear after the first cup, I really can't tell the difference.

By Brenda Walker Hellstrand from Charlotte, NC

Bottled coffee drinks are better if the coffee is from home. Wash out any single-serving size plastic bottle and allow to dry upside down in a dish rack. I personally prefer 1-liter bottles but any size will do.

Meanwhile, brew a pot of coffee as strong or as weak as you generally make it. Once brewed, remove from heat and allow to cool completely. When cool, use a funnel to pour coffee from coffee pot into the plastic bottle, being sure to fill the bottle only 1/3 full. Repeat with as many bottles as you have or as much coffee as you have. Once the bottles are one third full of coffee, place in the freezer for 4-8 hours. I like to put the bottles in the freezer partially on their side, so the coffee is lining one side of the bottle but not all the way to the bottle neck.

Make another pot of coffee. To this pot of coffee, add a stick of cinnamon or a bit of cocoa powder or teaspoon of vanilla extract. When the pot is full, remove from heat and add the condiments you normally add to your coffee to include cream or sugar or peppermint. Allow to cool thoroughly, then pour into a (previously washed out) water jug or 2-liter bottle and store in the fridge.

Just before you are ready to go to work or elsewhere, remove the frozen coffee from the freezer and using the funnel, pour the coffee from the fridge into the bottle with the frozen coffee. Replace the lid and you're set to go. Iced coffee exactly the way you like it and it won't water down before you drink it all because the "ice" in your iced coffee is coffee.

This easily converts to hot coffee if you have access to a mug and microwave and it's already the way you like it.

If you are spending $3 for a cup of cappuccino every morning, this adds up to $21 a week or $1092.00 a year. Instead, you can choose to buy a three-pound can of French vanilla cappuccino for around $12.00. "This will give you 64 cups of coffee, which is less than 20 cents per cup." Multiply that for a week and you get $1.40 or a total savings of $19.40 for the whole week, or a whopping savings of $1,008.80 for the year.

Source: www.HassiesKitchenTable.com

By Faylee from Kingsport, TN

Good coffee is expensive, but cheap if you use it correctly. I purchase good quality ground coffee. When I make a 12 cup pot of coffee, I immediately pour the whole thing into a reused plastic juice bottle.

Fisher Swanson0 found this helpful

Do you purchase a latte every day on your way to work? Ordering a latte every weekday adds up to $650 over the course of a year.

Sometimes we don't realize how much money we spend on take out coffee. If you buy two cups a day, 5 days a week it can cost you approximately $60 a month. That's $720 a year on just coffee. Yikes! Here are a few solutions to cut down your Java costs.

I really like to drink coffee. I drink it any time of the day. My favorite homemade specialty coffee is so simple and so delicious! Just take a cup of coffee and add a instant packet of hot cocoa mix.

I drink a lot of coffee and hate to waste it. Sometimes (often), I will get busy and come back and it is cold. Instead of throwing it out, I pour it back in the pot. I come back in a few minutes and have a hot cup.

As coffee prices rose, I started using less, but it didn't taste as good. Now I have started to experiment with espresso. I added it a little at a time, until I got a great smelling, tasting, flavorful cup that is satisfying.

I enjoy gourmet, fresh roasted coffee but the price isn't so much fun. I find mixing the ground gourmet about half and half with less expensive coffee still gives me a fresh roasted flavor but costs much less. By Lynn

If you want to make more than one pot of coffee from you ground coffee, it is best to do it within the same day or the grounds can get moldy very quickly. This is a guide about using coffee grounds more than once.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using reusable Kuerig pods. Using a Kuerig coffee maker is a convenient way to make a single serving of your favorite coffee, but the small brewing cups are an expensive way to buy coffee.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

For those of you that like to frequent coffee shops, whether on your daily commute or just when you're out and about, think about purchasing a commuter mug. Some coffee shops will discount your beverage purchase.

The price of coffee has gone over the roof. I was drinking Folger's Black Silk before it went to nearly $11.00 at WalMart for a can weighing a little over 22 ounces. Then I discovered a brand of coffee by the name of Java something. I can't remember the second word. It is excellent coffee for $4.50 a bag about the same ounces as the Folger's can. The problem is Big Lots doesn't keep it in stock all the time.

I've tried Walmart's brand of coffee and do not like it. I like Kroger's brand of coffee that I drank at a friend's, but there is not a Kroger where I live. Though less expensive Folger's classic and breakfast blends are too weak for my taste and Maxwell House is no less expensive that Folger's.

Using coupons doesn't help as the only coupons I see for coffee are no more than 25 cents and no store here doubles. I'm hoping my ThriftyFun friends can come to my rescue again and recommend a less expensive coffee.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Answers

I would, if I were you, buy a really quality coffee, like Duncan Donuts French Vanilla coffee, it comes in a bag and it is like 7 dollars... (could be more or less).

Then I would mix half of that with a really cheap kind of coffee that you like. These are the kind of coffees that you put in a coffeemaker.

Also there was a tip on here where a lady made her own coffee bags. She would staple coffee filters together that had a little coffee in them. This saved her money and time, since she would just have to dunk them into the coffee cup. I did this, but I didn't use a staple, I just twisted the coffee filter after I put some coffee into it, about a couple of teaspoons maybe, more or less. I would dunk the coffee in the water until it was dark. Then I would put the bag on a little plate or saucer, and use it again later, if it still had enough in it.

When I did this I would have to hold the top of the coffee bag with tongs. because the twisted top of the coffee filter would get hot. But it was soo good! I did this a lot in the summer time because I don't use my coffeemaker as much in the summer as in the winter.

I have never ordered coffee online, but is that an option?

Blessings, Robyn

Now is a really great time of year to buy specialty coffee at discount prices - get the Christmas blends - available at Gordmans, TJ Max, etc.

Anonymous

If you have Safeway grocery stores in Texas you might really like their brand of ground French Roast that is about $9.00 or $10.00 for a two pound (33 ounce) can and they often have it on sale for a couple of dollars less than that. You can always try the smaller can first to make sure you like the flavor.

Chock Full O Nuts is a decent coffee though not very strong. It is inexpensive and I believe it is a national brand.

The Kroger Company owns lots of stores under different names so it is possible that there is a Kroger near you but called something else. Here is a link to company information. I hope this helps you. http://www.thekrogerco.com/

There is a coffee company called Boca Java that you can order coffee from online only also Eight O'Clock coffee is wonderful. They have coupons on their website also. I buy mine from Amazon when they have specials or Sam's Club and Walmart also carries it.

I buy more of the Big Lots coffee and freeze them; especially when they have their 20% off sales.

Tips for saving money on coffee.

I love the gourmet flavored coffees. They are so pricey, I refuse to buy a big bag of it. SO I get the little "single pot" bags and stretch it buy adding the same amount of regular coffee. I buy the decaf flavor and add it to regular caffeinated coffee. So I get half the caffeine and double the amount of coffee.

By Especielle from New Braunfels, Texas

Post your ideas below.

Answers:

Saving Money on Coffee

My husband and I love coffee, drinking two pots daily. I have found that I can brew a pot with the regular amount of ground coffee (4 scoops) and then for the second pot add just half the amount of fresh grounds (two scoops) to the grounds used in the first pot. I have noticed no change of taste and am saving each time I brew the second pot.
(06/15/2004)

By rbonneau

Saving Money on Coffee

Get an inexpensive coffee mill - regrind the preground a little to refresh it and extend it some.
(10/06/2004)

By melody_yesterday

Saving on Coffee

Invest in a good thermal travel mug and make your own coffee for your commute instead of stopping to pick it up. You'll pay for the mug the first week and save after.

By Cynthia Conley (03/23/2005)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel

Saving Money on Coffee

I was actually going to say basically the same thing that rbonneau said but I only make one pot a day ( I use 3 scoops one day and then 3 scoops the next on top of the prior days grounds) and just add to the grounds the night before (programmable coffee pot). I also found this saves on the filters as we have the cone shaped filters (thank you free Gevalia programmable coffee pot) which seem to be more expensive. Plus what melody_yesterday stated is helpful too. (03/23/2005)

By Jessie

Saving on Coffee

My husband works construction and with it being winter here he takes a thermos of coffee with him as well as a large cup to drink on the way. We were going through coffee pretty fast. One day I decided to put half of a scoop of coffee into the filter that was already used to make coffee for the thermos, added the water and watched how the coffee started to come out. The result was great! We could not tell the difference in the first pot and the second. This saves a half of a scoop every day and we no longer are buying coffee as often as we were.

By RoseMary B. (04/08/2005)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel

Saving Money on Coffee

I hardly perk or drip coffee anymore. I use instant,and once I get the right formula for my taste, I don't waste any coffee at all. Most of the cheap instants taste better with less then the recommended amount used.
It isn't Kona coffee by any means ,but it gets the job done as far as satisfaction on my part.

I usually drink two full cups a day. A 6oz jar last a little over a month this time of year but less in the winter. And no! I would never turn down a cup of anybody's fresh brewed coffee

Drink Up Folks

(04/08/2005)

By Michael Ruger

Saving Money on Coffee

We use 3 scoops the first pot, 2 scoops the second pot, 1 scoop the 3rd pot. Then if my hubby wants more, he washes the grounds with a half pot of water. el cheapo! (04/08/2005)

By tina

Saving Money on Coffee

You're not saving money if your coffee tastes terrible. And putting an extra scoop on already-brewed grounds makes coffee that tastes terrible! Plain terrible! I know because I've tried it. You would be better off to cut down on your coffee consumption and drink only the "good stuff" in smaller amounts. (04/10/2005)

By Mary

Mixing Coffees

Mix your expensive ground coffee with a less expensive brand. This stretches the expensive brand and gives the less expensive coffee a "premium" taste.
(04/20/2005)

By truerblue

Saving Money on Coffee

Buy the good stuff-the really good stuff FAIR TRADE ORGANIC- and limit yourself to one cup (or two) of it after that use the cheap stuff(or tea). Using a single cup drip cone or a french press makes you think about your intake too

REMEMBER If you get the coffee for cheap, there's a farmer out there who is getting near zero pay(and probably cancer too) Between my husband and I we use about 1 lb per month now. that works out to 25c each per day and I refuse to buy cheap coffee. (05/24/2005)

By amanda

Saving Money on Coffee

I have been buying my coffee for a while now at Wal-Mart. I buy a brick of reg and brick of decaf in the Great Value "house brand". One is Arabica and the other Columbian. I mix together in a large coffee can and keep in the frig. It doesn't cost a lot and tastes good. (08/08/2006)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Saving Money on Coffee

I buy green beans from Deansbeans.com and roast it myself. 5 lbs runs 15 bucks. Pretty cheap and by roasting it myself, it doesn't get any fresher (though you want to let it breath 12 to 24 hours before grinding).

If you really like coffee, the investment for a roaster is not that bad.
(12/18/2006)

By Carl

Editor's Note: We roast most of our own. It's a lot of fun!