Dollhouse Furniture With Everyday Objects

Tips for making dollhouse furniture and decorations out of everyday items.

Pizza Box Support as a Table

If you have a Valentino's pizza near you, they used to put little white plastic things in the center of the pizza to keep the top of the box from getting stuck to the toppings. They look a lot like little tables and when I was younger, my grandma would save them for me and we'd use them as tables for my dollhouse. They worked especially well for the smaller Kelly dolls.

Photo of a dollhouse.

Sink and a Trash Can

The plastic protectors on roll up deodorant are clear and oval shaped. Could be used as a sink. Hairspray tops could be used as trash cans.

By Sue

Decorating a Room

Small school pictures work well as gigantic artwork on the walls. Also, the "after eight" mints have tiny ornate clocks on the front of their wrappers which dress up a room nicely. I used to use wrapping paper as wall paper in the room and scrap fabric for curtains. If your child has a Barbie play-set many times items can be used from it in the doll house. Also, a tiny drum set can be made with enough Dixie cups!

By Kelly

Hope this helps

By Debra in CO

Strawberry Container Table

When I was a little girl, we used the green plastic containers that strawberries come in. We turned them upside down, and placed a washrag or scrap fabric over the top. It could be a bed or a table, depending on the size of the doll.

By Jill Iannetti

Found Objects

I love making things for my dollhouse from found objects!

Have fun!

By Kristine

Doilies

I have found that small doilies work fantastically as rugs, tablecloths, bedspreads, etc.

By Alina

Popsicle Stick Furniture

You can make small (or large) furniture from craft sticks or Popsicle sticks by cutting them to the right length and gluing them together. Most public libraries also have books on this topic.

By Alina

Doll Lamp

I've covered those little medicine cups that come with NyQuil with pretty fabric. Hot glue a bead on top for a finial, attach a lollipop stick to the inside center, and a large heavy button to the bottom for a base. Makes a nice sized lamp for 11" dolls.

By Chris

Russell Stover Bed

Russell Stover candy boxes make an ideal sized bed. Glue wooden beads at the four corners for feet. Cover with fabric.

By Chris

Balsa Wood

My mom used the strawberry plastic containers for the shelves in the fridge and stove which she made from balsa wood, she made them many years ago and the are still in my proud dollhouse today! Balsa wood is great for carving things for your doll house!

By pakjc

Matchbox Drawers

When I was a kid, we had a book called "Things to Make and Do". It had instructions for a six-drawer desk in it made from matchboxes. You make two stacks of three matchboxes, with a matchbox-width space between them. Cover with a piece of cardboard long enough to fit up, over, and across the stacks. I didn't have the brass prong paper-fasteners for drawer-pulls, so I used thumbtacks. I think tiny buttons would also be cute. I covered mine in denim Contact paper (it was all I had), but I guess you could paint it. Contact paper also comes in woodgrain. Thanks for asking for tips; I'm warm and fuzzy remembering how I loved my creation!

By LizCar

Barbie Tub

Cut the bottom of a detergent bottle to make a tub for Barbie. Thick foam works well to make the sofa, just hot glue fabric on it.

By hibbardg

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

A small dining and living room in a doll house.
Making Doll Furniture
Crafts ToysAugust 30, 2006
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
An old fashioned kitchen in a dollhouse
Furnishing a Dollhouse
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 7:05:40 AM on 10.0.1.140 in 355 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.