Organizing Cookbooks

If you love to cook you probably have a small library of cookbooks, each with their own way of sorting the recipes they have. Keeping your cookbooks organized will make it that much easier to find the recipes you want. This is a guide about organizing cookbooks.

Organized Cookbooks on a Shelf

August 17, 2006 Flag

I had collected lots of recipe books, some with only one or two recipes that I liked to use. I was tired of these books taking up room in my kitchen so I bought a large photo album with see through pockets. I then went through all the recipe books and cut out the recipes I definitely wanted and placed them in the album.

If the recipe books were in good condition, I copied the recipes out on file cards and passed the books onto the charity shop. I sorted the recipes into sections for meat, poultry, fish, breads, sweets etc. Now I have only one book to look through and it is wipe-clean.

GREAT idea. Thanks. Now, could you find time for me to do it? lol? I still have photos that need inserting, and those cook books almost motivate me to keep working towards the day. If they are out of sight, they'll be out of my mind. lolololol...Afterall

they boost my morale too, giving me hope that one

day we will have money again and be able to afford the ingredients they call for. I keep mostly the ones with the best pictures because it takes so much time

to sit and search through each recipe. Do you have just a few favorite tried and trues I might also have, to save me even a little time? I have about 40 of them. I prefer the most nutritious, not just the tastiest. I also have "Better than Store Bought" which

I find intriguing. Have you got this one and have you

tried anything from it? I have a bad habit of opening one to what I want to make, then never getting to it, only to find the open book weeks later beneath important papers. I have hopes of making organic

homemade fat-free ice cream in blueberry/cranberry

if possible. We have major allergies and love organic

things when we can afford them...not often. Good luck and God Bless.

You bring up a very good point about cookbooks....usually we only make one or two recipes out of a whole cookbook. A cookbook has been written with someone else's favorites or what they figure are the best recipes but not necessarily our family's favorites. I find most of my favorite recipes online now and I print recipes on both sides of a piece of paper, insert in a clear sheet protector and in a binder it goes. I have one for beef, salads, soups, desserts, poultry, etc. As I try a recipe, if it's good it's kept and I add notations to the page in any changes I made or what changes I might like to make in the future. It's so much nicer having "cookbooks" that are truly mine that I know sound good to me and ones that I've tried and my family approves of! As for all the cookbooks that I collected over 30 years of marriage....well some I've weeded through already and I've got more to do. I will only keep a small portion of the ones I have. I do not really like to cut up books if someone else could use so any recipes I think I might use, I can photocopy or scan or even take the time and just type at the computer....ones that were not in the greatest shape I did cut out recipes I liked and then those got put in a folder till I can decide what to do with.

I don't think anyone needs tons of cookbooks....unless you just like them and think of them as a collection.

I also have a recipe box with many of our tried and true recipes on cards. Some are from family members and dear friends, written in their own hand.

Really with the internet you can find any recipe you want these days so probably no need to take up space storing bunches of cookbooks!

Excellent idea!! I've got alot of cookbooks. I've never went thru and torn any pages out before. Really I'd never thought about it. In my younger years, when my penmanship was readable, lol, I used to handwrite all my keepable recipes. Now, if I'm not on the web, I can't hardly read my own writing. So this would be a much better idea. Thanks for sharing!

when my grandmother passed away i was asked what i wanted, being that i was her oldest grandchild of the 2 she had, my sister and I. I wanted her cookbooks. One was a collection of recipes from the wives of the men my grandfather worked with and one was full of recipes from the women in my community. The first 2 things I learned to cook when I was younger came out of the first book I mentioned and the third came out of the other so I wanted the books. I now have started a collection of "community and club" type collaboration cookbooks, the fundraiser type. I was taught never to destroy a book, no matter the condition so I could never do this but what I have done is copy the recipe pages and put them in a binder. That way I have my personal cookbook and the others that mean so much to me. My mass published cookbooks went out many years ago.

December 26, 2004 Flag

Hi, does anyone have any ideas on how to organize spiral bound cookbooks, the kind that you can buy from churches, schools etc. I have dozens of these but it is very hard to look for a particular one that I need, plus just laying them on the shelf is not very attractive.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just stand mine up along with the rest of my HB books. However you might want to try labeling the spines with self adhesive labels. I have TONS of the cookbooks that you can buy off the register. They are about 5X8 or so and they are paperback. With those I have organising baskets that I put them in. "Spine" up and I just flip thru those when I need one. You may also want to stand your as you would any shelf of books and alphabetise them. You can make and index card or something to lay across the top, telling what order they are in, or number their spines and use the card to keep track of which # is which book. I have soooo many ideas, I hope these are clear! HTH & GL!

I don't know what these things are called but they're really big in the scrapbooking world right now. They are those tags that are round or rectangular and are rimmed with metal....You can get them on string and wind them through the spines so they'll hang where you can see them. Or at the hardware store they come on thin metal key rings which might be less likely to get tangled up.

You can get them in different colors, too, so maybe ones for desserts could be one color and ones for dinners, another, and cookbooks that have a bit of everything could be another...

I have alot of cookbooks also and I make them for special occasions as gifts. I find that liquor store boxes cut down to fit a shelf and then labeled works great I cut them down and then duct (duck tape)tape them back together this way I can quickly look through them when I need one. I make these so they look like the cardboard organizers for magazines. You can spray paint them or cover with fabric or paper. Hope this helps.

Use empty cereal boxes with the top 2/3 cut off diagonally like a magazine holder. This way the books will stand up and you'll be able to read the spines.

Organizing BooksNovember 16, 2011
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Delicious Looking Beef Dinner
Tips for Finding Great Recipes
Organizing Linens
Organizing Linens
garage sale cookbooks
Finding Thelma Allen's "Recipes from Sweet Yesterday" Cookbooks