Cat Has Gone to Live with a Neighbor

How do you get a cat back that has gone to live with a neighbor?

By Elaine from Taunton, Somerset

This reminds me of a cat at our old place. One of the neighbourhood cats randomly decided to adopt us one day. We never fed her, but she'd spend half the day lounging in our garden. She'd even come in the cat door and make herself at home until she decided it was time to leave. No idea why she did this, she was obviously someone's cat, but she'd practically taken to living at ours. I can only assume she just liked us!

Cats can be fickle at times. Is there any obvious reason he's gone to the neighbour's? Are they feeding him, or is there something else that's drawing him there? If they're feeding him you might ask them to stop. Otherwise bribe your kitty with the best things and hope he comes home again. :-)

Is this a cat that goes outdoors? If so perhaps he/she might simply be happier at the neighbors home and if you truly love the cat let it be where it's happy to be. If he/she is an indoor cat and accidently got out and maybe didn't know how to find its way home just go ask the neighbors, nicely, for them to return him/her to you.

If the neighbor took the cat go knock on the door and get it back. If the cat picked the neighbor to live with than you are out of luck. Some cats are a little strange so don't take it personal if you were not the right choice for him/her I had a cat who only like men so I gave him to my son who had 2 male roommates The cat was in heaven except when the girlfriends came over then he would hiss and spit and cry like a baby.

If the cat is truly happy at the neighbors then maybe you should get a new kitty. There are many that need good homes. I am sure there will one or two just right for you.

Pets CatsMay 13, 2011
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
An orange cat sitting on a window sill.
Leaving a Cat Alone While on Vacation
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Little Boy Dressed as Detective
Making a Detective Costume