Keeping My Neighbor's Pets Out of My Yard

In neighborhoods without fences, your neighbor's pets may freely wander into your yard and become a nuisance. This is a page about keeping my neighbor's pets out of my yard.

Our neighbor's dog is getting our newspaper out of the paper box. What household products can I use to keep him away from the box?

By CT3434

Answers

Best Answer

Make some sort of latch and wire it shut with bread wrapper wire until dog discovers it can't get in a few times. Then you probably won't have to do it anymore.

What to do with a neighbor who brings dogs to my yard to poop and pee when they are friends with PD. They've sabotaged thousands of dollars of our things and threatened to kill us. The police said it's OK. They've made a sweet friendly goat suffer over 2 years with a rotting leg. I contacted many authorities, but no response. They have for many years made dogs both starve and freeze to death. But the law allows it. I have also been told to stop taking pictures while I'm on my own land.

Answers

Your local MEDIA!

I notified animal control when a neighbor left his dog outside all day during a heat wave with no food or water. It worked.

OMG - where do you live that this sort of thing is allowed to continue? Call the local humane society or ASPCA immediately!

There is a lot going on here and I hesitate to offer you any advice if you say these people are threatening you, hurting animals and friends with the police. That all spells SCARY to me and I am of the mind you need safety first.

You may benefit from some legal advice or if you talk to your local State Representative he/she may be able to help you with this situation in a way that keeps you safe and gets these animals the help they need.

Maybe start with your state rep--you can find them on Google by putting your town name in and the phrase state Representative.

Take photos and written information on everything that is going on and show it to them. If they suggest a lawyer and you can't afford one, they should be able to point you to legal aide.

In today's world you need to be so careful. Please be safe. Post back with an update.

You might want to contact PETA and SPCA and see if they can offer some helpful advice.

First, you need to familiarize yourself with all the local city and county codes regarding the treatment of kept animals. For example: If you live in the city, I would be surprised if there isn't an ordinance against keeping goats. However, if there is no such ordinance, there is little you can do about the goat. That is, unless there are ordinances against depriving an animal of much needed veterinary care or denying them needed food. Reasons such as this is why you need to familiarize your self with as much of the local law as you can.

I am pretty sure to deny you the right to take pictures from your own property would be in violation of your constitutional rights and your right to do so would supersede any local laws.

I think the very best advice I can offer is: Keep records. If you live in a city with a corrupt law enforcement and/or judicial system, your word means nothing. If you tell the truth before a judge or county animal official, it can be denied by police or county officials. I don't need to say which account the judge will favor.

When I say 'keep records', here's what I mean. When reporting actions by your neighbors that you believe to be illegal, never do it by phone unless absolutely necessary. In court, it will be a case of your word against that of the official to whom you reported the incident. Again, we pretty much know which party the judge will favor.

Instead, report as many of the violations as you can by email. By doing so, you will have proof you alerted officials of the illegalities. Keep all copies, sent and replies. Even keep those you send for which you do not received a reply. A 'no response' can be just as important as a reply.

This is the first Summer in 10 years I haven't lost a lot of sleep due to dogs barking all night long. Why is this Summer different? Because I did things differently last year. Instead of just calling the police or county animal control, I did otherwise.

I made recordings of the dogs barking, including the date and time of night. These were sent to the director of Animal Control and to the police captian for the precinct in which I live. Whether I got a reply or not, I kept sending the recordings as I got them. I've even sent complaints to the chief of police. Naturally, I got no response, but the chief did assign someone else to handle the complaint (fortunately, in my favor).

I reported an illegally tethered dog to Animal control. For 3 months, nothing was done about it. The last time I reported it, I included a 30 second video clip of the tethered dog. Soon, the dog was gone.

This past Winter, a neighbor let a dog freeze to death. I reported the incident by email. I did not receive a reply. To my knowledge, nothing was done about it. Not even a citation to the neighbor.

If the neighbor ever gets another dog, I will send a reminder email to Animal Control about how he let the first dog freeze. If he in any way mistreats the dog, I will inform Animal Control of this as well.

Ana suggests the local media as a source of help. This may or may not be a good idea in your case. If cameramen from the local televison station came and filmed these animals and aired the video on the six o'clock news, it could mean a world of difference in your favor.

But, if you live in a city where the police department and the judicial system is as corrupt as in a city where I lived years ago, the local media, out of fear of retaliation, would do nothing to in any way upset the police department or sheriff department. You might want to call the TV station and see how they feel about taking footage and airing it on the news.

If you have to report an incident by phone, you can record the call both ways, or if you recieve a call from city or county officials, you can record that both ways, as well. If you don't have the equipment to make phone recordings, there are companies listed on the Internet that will do it for you at a very low cost. The party on the other end will never know until you present the recording as evidence in court. If you are interested, message me and I will tell you the one I use.

In my state, it is not illegal to make such recordings, provided at least one party is aware the recording is being made. Before making such recordings, check with your state laws.

Document as much as you can. It will be to your advantage. You wont even have to tell officials you are doing so. They will know and they wont like it. And they will be more likely to do the right thing if they know records are being kept of their actions or lack of actions, as well.

Hope you and the animals get help soon.

This sounds like a very scary situation you are in and your neighbors sound like very abusive people. it is sad when you have to watch an animal suffer right in front of your eyes. If the police are not helping out you need to contact animal control and animal abuse and stop calling the police. The only other thing I would suggest to help this situation out is to offer help to these people and try to help the animals by giving them soom food or water. It sounds like the police in your area are horrible and do not care if these people destroy your property or cause you harm.

Have sent pictures to local news, sheriff and animal control. But they are friend with police and animal control. Even sent pictures to ASPCA and a sight for goat breeders

The wife would take dog on leash to road waiting for a vehicle to hit it. I called animal control they said it's ok that they sold them the dog. Then I called back stating that she finally did it. She's caused they poor dog to get hit and killed. Animal control said it's ok. Then she got another same type little schnauzer and she takes it to the to road. Leaves it out in freezing weather and heat without water. It's like a cult with animal control and them.

I have done all that you mentioned. Plus more. Even messaged Dr. Jeff Rocky Mountain Vet. These are heartless rednecks. They believe their god made animals for cruelty and killing for fun. When the run over a animal no matter what type they leave it in road and others keep running over it. Today I moved a puppy out of road after it had been run over and over. Also they shoot Hawks.

Sent pictures and info to governor. No reply.

Thank you. I just worry so much for animals. The goats cry for me. I feed them when I can. Hell the wife poured a cup of water in trough. Idiocy. Also they got 3 of my mom's and step dad 5 acres. But when he sees me working on my yard he runs over threatening me not to put on his land. Yet half of my yard he has his rental trailer on. Law says it's ok. So for years I put up with meth cooker with his threats to us and sabotage for landlord (mom's stepson). Police were not allowed in meth trailer by meth head. They would say hey Chris how's it going. He would cuss and tell them it's his land. They would just say it's cool then come into my place unannounced and take down my tag number.
They allowed him to put his meth generator in my yard late at night because his landlord said don't put on his end and keep him awake. I said it's my yard and keeping me awake. Police said he can do that.

T he e meth cooker would turn porch light on and off to let landlord know he was about to make a deal. Landlord and wife would leave them come back after sale. Meth cooker beat his girlfriend bloody yet police said it's ok Chris. Never went in his place and stood there laughing with him.

Thank you for your intake. I hope you get justice for all the animals

Bypass your LOCAL police that your bad neighbor "owns" and report all your info to your STATE POLICE. If they are in cahoots with the neighbor too, and all other reports you've made with animal societies, etc, don't get any action, the media(news, radio, newspapers) may be the only way...and you should be able to request they keep your identity out of it. Good luck and post back any actions taken.

Every time my neighbor gets a new dog, it seems to like doing number 1 and 2 near my door. The pet repellant was so awful smelling I couldn't tolerate it. Ammonia doesn't seem to do anything either.

Answers

You can try vinegar soaked cotton balls in the area they are coming in.

Someone said there was a spray that smelled like skunk to help keep neighbor's pets out of your yard? I could not find it at Wal-mart as suggested. Any ideas of what it's called?

I cannot even enjoy play time with my pets for the neighbor's lab puppy. I've asked nicely, but I got "threats" in return. Help.

Brenda from Stanfield, NC

Answers:

Do you have a leash law in your town? Most places state that animals must be kept on a restraint. Try calling the Dog Pound for the laws in your area.
Owners can be fined or sit in jail for a few days for not restraining their animals. (04/02/2007)

By Marty

Below are 3 possible solutions for you, but your best bet would be to fence them out. Than is, if it's practical and if you have the money. I have a cheap chain-link fence in my back yard and it works wonderfully. My front yard is different thing altogether. Boy, Oh Boy! There's nothing like trying to mow your front yard and stepping in the neighbors' dog's mess. I suppose I'm going to have to fence the front yard in, too.

Dog owners, please watch your dogs. And when you take them out for walks, please remember, this is our yard, not your's and we don't appreciate your dogs going to the "bathroom" on it. Yes, I've sat on the front porch and watched as the dog owner walking their dog on a leash, has steered their dog to my lawn. Of course the dog owner acts like they don't understand anything's wrong, when I've told them to stop. Please be responsible for your animals. Buy a fence before you get a dog.

Here's some suggestions for you:

1. The "ScareCrow Sprinkler" Here's a quote from their web site:

"Protect your garden or pond from unwanted animal intruders. The Scarecrow motion activated sprinkler instantly releases a short, but startling burst of water when it detects animals. The sudden water, movement and noise scare animals away, and help teach them to avoid the area in the future. Simply and effectively chases animals out of your pond or garden with water.

Humane, safe and environmentally friendly; uses only a small amount of water each time

• Highly sensitive motion detector senses large and small animals
    • No chemicals, shocks or unsightly, costly fences or barriers
    • Smart circuitry automatically dampens sensitivity in windy conditions to reduce false triggering
    • Works day and night for up to 4 months on a single battery
    • Each unit covers approx 1200 square feet (112m2)"

getridofmoles.com

2. "Liquid Fence": This is something to spray around your yard. A quote from their web site:

"Keep dogs and cats away with Liquid Fence Dog and Cat Repellent. Our all natural spray is a great way to keep them at bay. Just spray the Cat and Dog Repellent on the areas where your pets, your neighbor's pets and strays don't belong, lawns, flowerbeds, garden beds, trees, shrubs, and trash containers. Their favorite spots become areas to avoid, not visit. And don't worry, the spray is made from all natural plant oils, so it's biodegradable and earth friendly. You can safely use it around your family and it won't harm animals or your plants."

How Liquid Fence Dog and Cat Repellent works:

"Pets and strays will habitually visit the same areas 'seeking familiar animal scents' to perform their 'duties'. When Liquid Fence Dog and Cat Repellent is sprayed in areas that contain these familiar animal odors, it will mask the odors, causing the animals to become uneasy, thus repelling them."

liquidfence.com

3. "DirectStop animal deterrent spray", This one is something safe to spray at the dog:

A quote from their web site:

"If your own pets frequently visit your yard, a handheld deterrent will be a better solution, since you'll want to determine for yourself which animals need to be discouraged from entering your property. DirectStop Animal Deterrent Spray sends out a strong, 10-foot stream with the odor of citronella to surprise the offending animal. DirectStop does not cause pain, and it will not increase aggression, but since animals are not used to the scent, it is an effective deterrent. In addition, it won't injure the user or onlookers if the spray is accidentally blown back into the eyes.

smarthome.com (04/13/2007)

By Cyinda

Pets AdviceJuly 12, 2017
🌻
🎃