Neighbor Dumping Dirty Cat Litter

Dealing with a neighbor who improperly disposes of used cat litter in an alley or elsewhere can be tricky. You can try speaking with them directly, but that may not go well. The other common resolution to such problems is to contact the appropriate agency in you city or county and see if they can communicate or deal with your complaint anonymously. This is a guide about neighbor dumping dirty cat litter.

I just bought a home and have discovered a neighbor dumps dirty cat litter box in the alley way. We love animals and we walk our dogs and we drive in this alley. I am really concerned about health issues and hate to start trouble already with the neighbors. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Dawn from Hanover, PA

Answers

Best Answer

You can contact your environmental dept and they will keep your name anonymous and they will be first mailed a warning by that dept then if it continues they will see them in person about the complaint.

Anonymous

Being that you don't want to start off on a bad foot with the neighbors I suggest perhaps printing the following out and anonymously leaving on their front door:

"Used Kitty Litter: While we tend to focus on the picking up of dog waste, pathogens contained in cat waste can pose a serious health threat to humans and can also make their way into our waterways where they can cause a pollution problem. The preferable way to dispose of kitty litter is to throw it in the trash. Composting or spreading used kitty litter may seem like a good idea but according to experts, the pathogens and parasites within the waste are not properly treated or removed."

If this doesn't give them the hint then contact local authorities and see how to handle the problem. At the very least they can be cited for littering because it's against the law.

I used to use Feline Pine as a "litter" it breaks down into basically sawdust if you will, and it's completly biodegradable. Maybe leave an anonymous note about switching brands because you fear the ramifications of their current brand? Or maybe combine my suggestion with the letter posted by someone below, lol.

I agree with the post made by theseamstress (536). I have had to do that with my neighbour keeping a overgrown messy back yard. And yes, they do keep your name out of it and yes, they did have to clean it up.

It was a magnet for rodents and raccoons. Just call your local politicians office in you're riding and they will provide you with the number. It's that easy.