VegetablesFreezing

Can I Freeze Potatoes?

I would like to know how to freeze potatoes?

By j from Villa Rica, GA

You can not freeze raw potatoes, they don't taste good, but when they are boiled, fried or mashed you can.

I don't happen to agree with Ute White. One summer my husband and I were offered a GREAT DEAL at a flea market. There was a farmer who wanted to get rid of a lot of seconds and he sold us a large carton of potatoes for about $2 or $3. When I got them home I knew that I had to do something with them so they wouldn't rot. My husband and I peeled all the potatoes and cut them into cubes. I then plunged them into boiling water for about 2 minutes for blanching. After they cooled, I put them in ziplock bags and stored them in my freezer. I made delicious potato salad all summer long.

Okay, I agree if you blanche them. But have you ever forgotten a bag of potatoes in your car in the winter and remember next day after a night of severe frost? I did....lol.

After blanching them (putting them in boiling water), freeze them in a single layer. After they are frozen, put them in the containers for freezing. This makes them not stick together so much and then you can easily remove the amount you need.

Mashed potatoes freezes very well.

Yes you can, but don't ever freeze potato salad. I learned that lesson years ago!

I slice raw potatoes into french fries, lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet, freeze them, then place them in a zip lock freezer bag. Makes great fries!

I would like to know how to freeze potatoes and whether or not it can be done?

By Marilyn from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Can I Freeze Potatoes?

You most certainly can, but not a good idea with whole raw potatoes. It's best to shred as hash browns (keep them in cold water until ready to freeze and be sure to squeeze as much as possible of the liquid out before freezing). You can also dice or cut into french fries and cook until just barely tender and then freeze.

What I like the most is completely cooking potatoes and then mash and freeze in individual containers (because there are so many awesome mashed tater recipes out there) or baking and then cut in half and freeze to use for potato skins or twice baked taters. (11/18/2009)

By Deeli

Can I Freeze Potatoes?

I find mashed freezes well, but once I made an incredible scalloped potatoes and ham and froze it. When I unfroze and reheated it the potatoes were nasty. I think the moisture in them ruins the texture. (11/18/2009)

By crazy Amy

Can I Freeze Potatoes?

Sure, you can! My family loves french fries, but I don't buy them; once a week, I slice into wedges (or fry-shape) enough Yukon Gold potatoes to spread evenly over a large cookie sheet; I toss these before setting on the sheet with a little olive oil and whatever seasoning hits me: garlic powder, onion powder, Everglades seasoning, Cajun, dill, whatever you'd like.

Do them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes; we generally only eat about half of these potatoes as a side dish; the rest, I let cool and pop into the freezer in small lidded containers.

The DH cooks weekend breakfasts around here. The day before the taters are needed for round two, we bring them down to defrost in the fridge and they can be reheated in the microwave as is or diced up for home fries, hash, or recycled again as a side for lunch or dinner.

I ran on here, but if they've been cooked through, there's no reason why you can't freeze them. The consistency, and color, after thawing is fine. (11/23/2009)

By PupperMom