Using Instant Potatoes

Using Instant Potatoes
Freeze dried potato flakes can make a quick side dish of mashed potatoes. This is a guide about using instant potatoes.

To make instant mashed potatoes taste better, add some salt free seasoning such as Mrs. Dash. The seasoning masks the artificial flavor some instant potatoes have.

By Lynn

I love to have single serve mashed potatoes on hand at our house. I use stock or broth for the liquid instead of water, because it adds more nutrition to the potatoes. Usually I buy the broth or stock, but sometimes I make it myself.

I wanted to share this tip, for those who are trying to add more nutrition to their meals, and for those who don't like the taste of instant potatoes made with water.

Have a blessed day!

How do you make instant potatoes without milk? Can you use evaporated milk?

Best Answer

Yes, you can make them with evaporated milk. Just reconstitute it with an equal part of water and stir (ex: 1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 cup water = 1 cup "milk").

Best Answer

I have a sister who has never been able to drink milk or eat anything made with it. So we all had to learn to cook without it. When I make instant potatoes and I know she is going to eat, I add the same amount of water that was needed for the milk, then I add anywhere from a half a stick to a whole stick of margarine. She can only have the type made with corn oil. I season it with salt, pepper and garlic.

It tastes just as good as instant potatoes can, you'd never know there wasn't any milk. We also use to make biscuits with water too until I learned how to make it with mayo/salad dressing (the white stuff). I still add water just not as much and the flavor is out of this world. I don't have a recipe, it's one of those things you do by touch. I hope this helps.

Best Answer

Use sour cream. It tastes great! Closer to taste of real homemade potatoes.

How can potato flakes be made to taste like homemade mashed potatoes? They do not taste well to me when made up according to the directions. Are there other ways to use the potato flakes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Momel from AR

If you are using them as a side dish, dice up one small potato, boil and mash. Make the potato flakes according to directions and add the mashed potato. The real potato will make the instant taste better.

Use cream, real butter, cream cheese or cottage cheese intead of the milk or water in the package directions.

Add garlic powder, chopped chives (dried or fresh), diced onion (dried or fresh), pepper, paprika, lemon pepper seasoning, etc.

Make "loaded baked potato" mashed potatoes. Add cheese, bacon bits, chives, sour cream.

Use potato flakes to make potato soup - heat chicken broth, add potato flakes, onion, parsley, chopped celery, pepper.

Use in chicken or fish breading. Season flour with salt, pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, etc. Dredge meat in that. Dip in egg wash. Then dip in mix of half flour and half potato flakes. Deep fry or shallow (pan) fry.

Use potato flakes to thicken gravy, casserole sauces and stews.

I think you've said it all!

My husband doesn't really like potato flakes. When I am in a hurry and don't have time for the real thing I have found a way to make them tastier. I follow the package directions as to how much water/butter/milk to use. When I am heating the liquids either in the microwave or on the stove I add 1 packet of dry onion soup mix and heat that along with the water. Then I add the potato flakes once heated. I also use cheese melted on the top of this to dress it up a little. I have actually had him ask for these potatoes. Warning the potatoes will have a funny color due to the soup but they taste great.

I use them to thicken soups and gravies and ocasionanlly use them for potatoes. I've found the easiest way (for me) to make mashed potatoes -- and within a few minutes.

Buy the potatoes in a can....they are 50 cents at the $1 and I've seen them for about 25cents at the discount grocery store. Simply heat up, mash and use them like like regular potatoes-- lumpy, smooth, cream cheese, cream, cheese etc. They work great and take about 4 minutes to put together.

I use these a lot for side dishes for my husband's lunch...you know when you need something else when the leftovers aren't enough :)

My kids, when they were young, prefered my instant mashed potatoes! (still do)

I use the butter (real) salt and pepper to taste and add, depending on the amount needed, cream cheese instead of milk or cream. You may need to experiment with the proportions, but, this is something you may really like.

Thanks for taking the time to share your awesome tips. I will be trying some of them right away. I love this website with its many and varied tips and recipes.

Momel

I use them to make potato bread. Much quicker and easier than boiling a potato for the juice.

Well you guys need to try Idahoan instant potatoes in the RED box or bag. They are hard to find but they are EXCELLENT! If you prepare them like the box says, I SWEAR, you can't tell they aren't the real thing! I PROMISE YOU!

I make some instant up ahead of time and make potato doughnuts with them. I also add sour cream and chives and a dash of garlic salt to them for meals.

I do think that mashed potatoes made from scratch are better....have a richer more potato-y taste; however I make the instant quite a bit because it's fast and easy. We just had some tonight in fact. The kids definitely do not see a difference and hubby and me are just fine with them. I have used various brands and they are all about the same in taste but there is a difference in price. There is one I get at Wal-Mart. I thought it was Idahoan but I could be wrong. It says on the box that Pepperidge Farm makes them. Now tonght we had Hungry Jack and I did think it tasted a bit better...a little more potato taste. You can use the potato flakes as a coating for fried chicken; however I haven't tried yet.

My mother in law cooks for a big crowd every Sun and if mashed potatoes are on the menu, it's instant. She has to make so much that it would be a real pain to do from scratch. She is a real good cook too but in this case it's just easier to make a big batch of the instant!

Here is my recipe for potato flakes. they taste really good for boxed potatoes.

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Using Instant Potatoes

The following are great when you dont want to peel potatoes. They freeze well in Ziploc bags too. My hubby couldnt tell them from the real thing. They really are tasty.

6  7 cups of instant mashed potatoes (according to package directions, but dont add butter)

(I use Betty Crocker Home-style mashed potatoes, I like their flavor best)

1  8 ounce cream cheese

1 - 8 ounce Sour cream

1/2 - 1 tsp. or more onion powder (to taste)

1/8  1/4 tsp. Pepper

Make potatoes according to box directions, but leave out butter. Add cream cheese, onion powder and pepper. Stir till incorporated. Add enough sour cream to make a nice consistency. If the potatoes seem too loose or not stiff enough, add a little more potato flakes and stir. If they are too thick add enough hot water and butter to make a good consistency.

Hint: I freeze instant potatoes in quart Ziploc bags. I lay them flat to store in freezer. When reheating them in the microwave after they have been frozen, they may seem like they are going to be thin and not nice when reheating, but stir and keep heating. The water will incorporate they will be nice. Just like fresh.

I have a recipe for make ahead mashed potatoes that are like fresh mashed that you make a couple days ahead like Thanksgiving. I will send it if anyone wants it.

Linda from PA

I just add some powdered coffee creamer to them. It really makes them taste creamier and more like regular mashed potatoes from scratch.

I use instant Potatoes all the time as they are fast and easy i put a bowl of water with pepper and butter in the microwave till butter has melted then i add the potato flakes i little at a time my grandkids love them as they have no lumps i make Potato salad out of them and everyone cannot tell the diffrence and i buy a big can of them at Wall-Mart and the name is Idahoan and they keep them on the bottom shelf there is so meny ways to fix them try them all or find new ideas