Canning Homemade Soup

Canning your favorite homemade soups is a great alternative to buying commercial varieties. This is a guide about canning homemade soup.

Filter Sort

Question: Preservatives for Canning Soup

By Lavoris McGhee 3

What kind of preservatives would I use when canning vegetable soup in jars? How long can I keep them before they spoil? I am using all natural straight from the ground vegetables for this soup.

By Lavoris from Little Rock, AR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By LouiseCook 8 11 Flag

December 21, 2009Best Answer

As the other feedback says,you need a pressure cooker but you will also need to add a teaspoon of salt to each jar of soup. That is a preservative in its self. Look up Ball.com and ask for their blue book. It tells you what you need to know about canning. Be especially careful about sterilizing your jars and rings, for they can carry germs that will cause your soup etc to spoil. I've canned Moose meat with gravy and it's the best I've ever eaten.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Canning Soup Containing Cabbage

Can I can homemade soup with cabbage in it?

By Kathy S from PDC, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine D. 10 23 Flag

I always add cabbage to my veggie soup even when I make my WW version without any meat. It really adds a lot to it. If I don't have a head of cabbage I just buy a small bag of shredded cabbage (cole slaw) and add some of that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Why Did the Lids Pop on My Canned Soup?

By Linda Lee 1

I made bean soup and canned it. Later the lids started to pop. How can I keep this from happening?

By Linda from Maryland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia Hamm 4 153 Flag

If you have already canned them and they have sat on the shelf for a while then bacteria has formed. Dispose of the canned bean soup immediately. If you just canned them and the lids pop that means it is sealed. Test it by pushing down on the lid. If it moves something is wrong and do not eat it. If it is down and unmoveable it is ok. Be sure you have canned them properly since some foods require a pressure canner. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Stew and Soup Canning Recipes

By mindy 109 38

Does anyone have anyone have any canning recipes or site(s) that have canning recipes on them? When I do a search it's just too much to look through. I am specifically looking for stew and soup recipes.

Thank you,
Mindy from Oregon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Laurie 44 150 Flag

Hi Mindy,

I use the site the previous person posted.

http://www.homecanning.com/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Storing Homemade Soup

I'm single and made a large pot of soup. I wanted to save some. I put the hot soup in a jar with a tight lid. It cooled and the lid popped in good seal. How long can I keep in refrigerator or not and be safe?

By Ray

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

From your letter, it appears that you did not properly can the soup but, rather, just put it in a jar. Whether the lid "popped" or not, the soup is not safely canned. Depending upon the ingredients, the soup may last a few days to a week in your refridgerator. Why not just freeze?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Canning Soups Without a Pressure Canner

What kind of soup using tomatoes can be canned "without" using a pressure canner?

By Betsy from Waynesville, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Littleblessings F. 1 Flag

All soups require pressure canning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Canning Your Homemade Soup

By heather 1

I had heard when canning homemade soup you just need to cook it like you are going to serve it, then fill the jars and turn them upside down. Does this work to create a proper seal?

By Heather from West Liberty, KY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa 2 656 Flag

Heather,

I wouldn't do or trust it. Read the archived information below. I have a book about canning from Ball (Ball Blue Book of Preserving). It has very detailed information about how to can/preserve different things. You don't want to mess around with this, whoever consumes the food could get deathly ill!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pressure Canning Homemade Soup

How long and at what pressure should I can quarts of homemade tomato soup?

By Kathy M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Canning Homemade Soup

Can I use rice and barley in homemade chicken soup to can? Does anyone have a good recipe to try?

By Holly S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pressure Canning Soup

I live at just under 8000 ft in Colorado. I canned some chicken coconut curry soup and some tortilla chicken soup today. Yep Christmas day and I choose to can. Anyway, I pressure cooked the quart jar for 60 minutes with the weight for 15 pound. Then I read it should have been in for 90 minutes. My pressure cooker is a cheap one, no thermostat, so I trust the temp was high enough. Can I rerun the soup or will that work?

By Trampus

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Canning Homemade Soup
Food and Recipes Canning SoupJune 12, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Growing Quince, Canning Quince, Freezing Quince, Peeling Quince, Storing Quince. Selecting Good Quince. Holding Out a Ripe Quince
Canning Quince
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 10:45:54 PM on 10.0.2.65 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings