Browsing: Canning Homemade Soup

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Canning Homemade Soup

Canning your favorite homemade soups is a great alternative to buying commercial varieties. This is a guide about canning homemade soup.

Canning Homemade Soup
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 13, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about canning soup containing cabbage. Certain vegetables can well, while others do not.

Jar of soup

August 13, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about canning soups without a pressure canner. When canning you will want to determine the safest way to can certain foods, some require a pressure canner others a hot water bath.

Several jars of processed soups with lids covered in decorative burlap

July 31, 2016 Flag

Can you use mixed canned vegetables in pressure canning homemade vegetable soup?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 2, 2009 Flag

What kind of preservatives would I use when canning vegetable soup in jars? How long can I keep them before they spoil? I am using all natural straight from the ground vegetables for this soup.

By Lavoris from Little Rock, AR

Best Answer

As the other feedback says,you need a pressure cooker but you will also need to add a teaspoon of salt to each jar of soup. That is a preservative in its self. Look up Ball.com and ask for their blue book. It tells you what you need to know about canning. Be especially careful about sterilizing your jars and rings, for they can carry germs that will cause your soup etc to spoil. I've canned Moose meat with gravy and it's the best I've ever eaten.

You don't need to add preservatives to your soup. Process the jars in a canning pressure cooker and make sure they have a tight seal. I suggest that you do a Google search to find a canning website and read how long their shelf-life would be.

It is critical that vegetables - or vegetables and meat - be canned in a pressure cooker (not just boiling water). The CDC says "A pressure cooker must be used to can vegetables at home because it can reach temperatures above boiling, which is necessary to kill botulism spores. Instructions on safe home canning can be obtained from county extension services or from the US Department of Agriculture." http://extension.usu.edu/files/publ ... ion/FN_Food_Preservation_2009-04.pdf

Find Ball.com, they have a "Blue Book" with instructions for all sorts of canning! It is great. And you really need to use a pressure cooker. Have fun, good luck.

February 26, 2015 Flag

I'm single and made a large pot of soup. I wanted to save some. I put the hot soup in a jar with a tight lid. It cooled and the lid popped in good seal. How long can I keep in refrigerator or not and be safe?

By Ray

From your letter, it appears that you did not properly can the soup but, rather, just put it in a jar. Whether the lid "popped" or not, the soup is not safely canned. Depending upon the ingredients, the soup may last a few days to a week in your refridgerator. Why not just freeze?

July 17, 2010 Flag

I had heard when canning homemade soup you just need to cook it like you are going to serve it, then fill the jars and turn them upside down. Does this work to create a proper seal?

By Heather from West Liberty, KY

Heather,

I wouldn't do or trust it. Read the archived information below. I have a book about canning from Ball (Ball Blue Book of Preserving). It has very detailed information about how to can/preserve different things. You don't want to mess around with this, whoever consumes the food could get deathly ill!

Yes you need to cook your soups before canning better safe than sorry.

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have a pal, who cans her own homemade soups. She'll prepare a big batch of soups and home can them. You can walk in her pantry right now and see a whole shelf of her canned homemade soups. She said it really comes in handy when she's not feeling well or when she needs a meal to prepare in a hurry. None of those canned, overly salted soups for them!

To me, it seems to be an old time necessity gone awry, that not many folks do anymore. In my household, it's so easy to make a large pan of soup. I don't know that I could even make a small pan of homemade soup, it always turns out to be enough to feed the neighborhood. So instead of my usual freezing of soup, I'm going to start canning my own, too.

By Terri from NV

Answers:

Canning Your Homemade Soup

Please! Read a canning guide book from Kerr or Ball. Any food that is not highly acidic (and who at home can measure?) MUST be canned in a pressure cooker and only use regular canning jars for pressure cookers. (Pickle and mayonnaise jars will work okay for water bath canning of acidic foods or jams or jellies), but expect a broken jar now and then. They are designed for commercial canning. Plus any non acidic food that is home canned should be boiled at a rolling boil for 15 minutes. Botulism grows in an oxygen free environment and even though a food is home canned at the proper temperature and time it should be boiled. We aren't talking sick here, we are talking death. (08/12/2008)

By prairiehill2

Canning Your Homemade Soup

I currently make a large pot (6 quarts) of soup or stew and put it in Reynold's Handi Vac Bags. Yes, I know they are more expensive that standard Ziploc freezer bags, but my food stays fresher and doesn't get freezer burn. I can make enough soup to last for 2 weeks of lunches and it only cost around $10.00. Wow. (08/14/2008)

By crazyliblady

Canning Your Homemade Soup

One important thing to always remember is that anything that is mostly "tomato-based" holds the possibility of breaking its seal, once in storage. I always keep the rings on my jars for salsa, BBQ, sauce, stewed tomatoes, etc. It sure saves a huge mess. (08/25/2008)

By Becca

Canning Your Homemade Soup

I can vegetable beef stew for my daughter to take to college every fall. My mom did it with me. She taught me to look in the Ball Blue Book and look up the ingredient that required the greatest amount of time to process and that was the time to use. So, I process pint jars at 12# (because of our altitude) for 75 minutes. Don't ever can meat without pressuring it. The pressuring kills the spores, etc. lurking in there. (09/13/2008)

Canning Your Homemade Soup

Home canning soup is a great idea, but please do not take advice from unknown people on the internet. Well, except from me, perhaps, and my advice is to find a reliable source.

Go to uga.edu, or the Ball site freshpreserving.com or some other site with a .gov or .edu domain and take advice that is SAFE. Go to the library and find the Ball Blue Book, it's the Bible of home canners.

A jar will seal if you get it significantly hotter than room temperature and then cool it back down. This does NOT mean that the food is safe to keep. It just means that the jar has sealed. In order to ensure that the food is safe, it needs to be held at a temperature high enough to kill off organisms that might grow in the sealed jar.

The time and temperature needed will vary according to the type of food. For example, pickles or jellies may be safe to keep after being held at 212 degrees F. for 20 minutes or so, but meats and most vegetables cannot be canned at 212 (the temperature of a water bath canner). DON'T guess.

My grandma canned for many years, and she was smart enough to count on the county extension service to clue her in on safe methods. She knew that using safe methods was important.

It is true that you might follow unsafe practices several times and "no-one dies", but it is also true that you might be unlucky one day. Don't risk it when there are good, safe instructions available, and they are even easier than guessing.

Also, please plan to bring your home-canned goods to a boil and boil them for 15 minutes after opening. It is easy to do and will help ensure that your good food is actually good.

I started a web search for some specific information, and found good info at the .edu and .gov sites. Clicking on some other sites and seeing the bad advice that is out there actually scares me!

Canning is fun, and economical . Do it safely. I have 25 years experience with home canning, and I'd like you all to be able to say that too some day. (10/12/2008)

By Deb

Canning Your Homemade Soup

These are links to canning, recipes, proper methods, timing, and proper preparation of foods and jars and sealing them. Sterilization of canning jars and proper sealing of the jars is very important, if not properly sealed they will spoil no matter how long you cook them.
The jar top where the lid goes must be totally cleaned before placing the lid and band on. Then you process. Proper ways are explained very clearly and methods of canning and times as well as recipes.

Also included is freezing, drying methods of food preservation.

National Center for Home Food Preservation uga.edu

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Vegetables soups with meats uga.edu

Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs.

! Canning Recipes for Preserving Food canning-food-recipes.com

Good luck, you can save lots of money and time canning foods.

Darlene (02/22/2010)

By BDSNYD

August 11, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

September 10, 2007 Flag
Food and Recipes Canning SoupJune 12, 2013
Growing Quince, Canning Quince, Freezing Quince, Peeling Quince, Storing Quince. Selecting Good Quince. Holding Out a Ripe Quince
Canning Quince
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:49:19 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.