Canning Homemade Soup

Canning your favorite homemade soups is a great alternative to buying commercial varieties. This is a guide about canning homemade soup.

September 28, 2016 Flag

Mason jar of canned soup

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about, "Why did the lids pop on my canned soup?". Depending on where you are in the canning process popping lids can mean different things.

August 13, 2016 Flag

Jar of soup

This is a guide about canning soup containing cabbage. Certain vegetables can well, while others do not.

August 13, 2016 Flag

Several jars of processed soups with lids covered in decorative burlap

This is a guide about canning soups without a pressure canner. When canning you will want to determine the safest way to can certain foods, some require a pressure canner others a hot water bath.

December 2, 2009 Flag

What kind of preservatives would I use when canning vegetable soup in jars? How long can I keep them before they spoil? I am using all natural straight from the ground vegetables for this soup.

By Lavoris from Little Rock, AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

As the other feedback says,you need a pressure cooker but you will also need to add a teaspoon of salt to each jar of soup. That is a preservative in its self. Look up Ball.com and ask for their blue book. It tells you what you need to know about canning. Be especially careful about sterilizing your jars and rings, for they can carry germs that will cause your soup etc to spoil. I've canned Moose meat with gravy and it's the best I've ever eaten.

You don't need to add preservatives to your soup. Process the jars in a canning pressure cooker and make sure they have a tight seal. I suggest that you do a Google search to find a canning website and read how long their shelf-life would be.

It is critical that vegetables - or vegetables and meat - be canned in a pressure cooker (not just boiling water). The CDC says "A pressure cooker must be used to can vegetables at home because it can reach temperatures above boiling, which is necessary to kill botulism spores. Instructions on safe home canning can be obtained from county extension services or from the US Department of Agriculture." http://extensio  tion_2009-04.pdf

July 31, 2016 Flag

Can you use mixed canned vegetables in pressure canning homemade vegetable soup?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 26, 2015 Flag

I'm single and made a large pot of soup. I wanted to save some. I put the hot soup in a jar with a tight lid. It cooled and the lid popped in good seal. How long can I keep in refrigerator or not and be safe?

By Ray

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

From your letter, it appears that you did not properly can the soup but, rather, just put it in a jar. Whether the lid "popped" or not, the soup is not safely canned. Depending upon the ingredients, the soup may last a few days to a week in your refridgerator. Why not just freeze?

July 17, 2010 Flag

I had heard when canning homemade soup you just need to cook it like you are going to serve it, then fill the jars and turn them upside down. Does this work to create a proper seal?

By Heather from West Liberty, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Heather,

I wouldn't do or trust it. Read the archived information below. I have a book about canning from Ball (Ball Blue Book of Preserving). It has very detailed information about how to can/preserve different things. You don't want to mess around with this, whoever consumes the food could get deathly ill!

Yes you need to cook your soups before canning better safe than sorry.

September 21, 2013 Flag

How long and at what pressure should I can quarts of homemade tomato soup?

By Kathy M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 21, 2013 Flag

Can I use rice and barley in homemade chicken soup to can? Does anyone have a good recipe to try?

By Holly S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 25, 2012 Flag

I live at just under 8000 ft in Colorado. I canned some chicken coconut curry soup and some tortilla chicken soup today. Yep Christmas day and I choose to can. Anyway, I pressure cooked the quart jar for 60 minutes with the weight for 15 pound. Then I read it should have been in for 90 minutes. My pressure cooker is a cheap one, no thermostat, so I trust the temp was high enough. Can I rerun the soup or will that work?

By Trampus

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have a pal, who cans her own homemade soups. She'll prepare a big batch of soups and home can them. You can walk in her pantry right now and see a whole shelf of her canned homemade soups. She said it really comes in handy when she's not feeling well or when she needs a meal to prepare in a hurry. None of those canned, overly salted soups for them!

To me, it seems to be an old time necessity gone awry, that not many folks do anymore. In my household, it's so easy to make a large pan of soup. I don't know that I could even make a small pan of homemade soup, it always turns out to be enough to feed the neighborhood. So instead of my usual freezing of soup, I'm going to start canning my own, too.

By Terri from NV

Answers:

Canning Your Homemade Soup

Please! Read a canning guide book from Kerr or Ball. Any food that is not highly acidic (and who at home can measure?) MUST be canned in a pressure cooker and only use regular canning jars for pressure cookers. (Pickle and mayonnaise jars will work okay for water bath canning of acidic foods or jams or jellies), but expect a broken jar now and then. They are designed for commercial canning. Plus any non acidic food that is home canned should be boiled at a rolling boil for 15 minutes. Botulism grows in an oxygen free environment and even though a food is home canned at the proper temperature and time it should be boiled. We aren't talking sick here, we are talking death. (08/12/2008)

By prairiehill2

Canning Your Homemade Soup

I currently make a large pot (6 quarts) of soup or stew and put it in Reynold's Handi Vac Bags. Yes, I know they are more expensive that standard Ziploc freezer bags, but my food stays fresher and doesn't get freezer burn. I can make enough soup to last for 2 weeks of lunches and it only cost around $10.00. Wow. (08/14/2008)

By crazyliblady

Canning Your Homemade Soup

One important thing to always remember is that anything that is mostly "tomato-based" holds the possibility of breaking its seal, once in storage. I always keep the rings on my jars for salsa, BBQ, sauce, stewed tomatoes, etc. It sure saves a huge mess. (08/25/2008)

By Becca

Canning Your Homemade Soup

I can vegetable beef stew for my daughter to take to college every fall. My mom did it with me. She taught me to look in the Ball Blue Book and look up the ingredient that required the greatest amount of time to process and that was the time to use. So, I process pint jars at 12# (because of our altitude) for 75 minutes. Don't ever can meat without pressuring it. The pressuring kills the spores, etc. lurking in there. (09/13/2008)

Canning Your Homemade Soup

Home canning soup is a great idea, but please do not take advice from unknown people on the internet. Well, except from me, perhaps, and my advice is to find a reliable source.

Go to uga.edu, or the Ball site freshpreserving.com or some other site with a .gov or .edu domain and take advice that is SAFE. Go to the library and find the Ball Blue Book, it's the Bible of home canners.

A jar will seal if you get it significantly hotter than room temperature and then cool it back down. This does NOT mean that the food is safe to keep. It just means that the jar has sealed. In order to ensure that the food is safe, it needs to be held at a temperature high enough to kill off organisms that might grow in the sealed jar.

The time and temperature needed will vary according to the type of food. For example, pickles or jellies may be safe to keep after being held at 212 degrees F. for 20 minutes or so, but meats and most vegetables cannot be canned at 212 (the temperature of a water bath canner). DON'T guess.

My grandma canned for many years, and she was smart enough to count on the county extension service to clue her in on safe methods. She knew that using safe methods was important.

It is true that you might follow unsafe practices several times and "no-one dies", but it is also true that you might be unlucky one day. Don't risk it when there are good, safe instructions available, and they are even easier than guessing.

Also, please plan to bring your home-canned goods to a boil and boil them for 15 minutes after opening. It is easy to do and will help ensure that your good food is actually good.

I started a web search for some specific information, and found good info at the .edu and .gov sites. Clicking on some other sites and seeing the bad advice that is out there actually scares me!

Canning is fun, and economical . Do it safely. I have 25 years experience with home canning, and I'd like you all to be able to say that too some day. (10/12/2008)

By Deb

Canning Your Homemade Soup

These are links to canning, recipes, proper methods, timing, and proper preparation of foods and jars and sealing them. Sterilization of canning jars and proper sealing of the jars is very important, if not properly sealed they will spoil no matter how long you cook them.
The jar top where the lid goes must be totally cleaned before placing the lid and band on. Then you process. Proper ways are explained very clearly and methods of canning and times as well as recipes.

Also included is freezing, drying methods of food preservation.

National Center for Home Food Preservation uga.edu

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Vegetables soups with meats uga.edu

Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs.

! Canning Recipes for Preserving Food canning-food-recipes.com

Good luck, you can save lots of money and time canning foods.

Darlene (02/22/2010)

By BDSNYD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 11, 2008 Flag

Do you have the proper method for canning leftover soups?

Carolyn from Hampstead, NC

Answers:

Canning Your Leftover Soup

Putting your soups in fruit jars and leaving a ample space in the neck area , then you can go ahead and freeze . It's cheaper than using freezer bags. Saving cottage cheese containers and re-using them for freezing is cost effective too. The ideas on canning is great, as it's so easy to just open , pour into a bowl and heat in the microwave. (09/10/2007)

By czechlady

Canning Your Leftover Soup

Definitely don't can soup without properly sealing it. You could get sick with botulism! Canning is relatively easy. Just make sure to sterilize your jars, get some inexpensive canning lids from the store, and heat them in hot (but not boiling) water on the stove. Fill up the jars, leaving enough head space, then put the canning lids on with rings. I would put them in either a canner, or a pot large enough to have at least an inch or two of water above the bottles when placed in the boiling water. Boil the jars for about 10 minutes. Good luck! (09/10/2007)

By thriftymomof2

Canning Your Leftover Soup

I can my home made soups all the time, I put them in sterized jars up to one inch from top, then I can them in a water bath canner for 25 minutes. ( canner has a tray in bottom ) and make sure you cover jars with water . when done lift out of canner and cool completely (09/10/2007)

By WRogers52

Canning Your Leftover Soup

According to the Ball Blue Book all soups they listed (some w/ meat, some without), must be processed in a pressure cooker at 10 pounds for up to 1.5 hours. Water bath canning isn't enough to kill all the bacteria etc. that could not only make you sick, but actually cause death. Lids sealing doesn't necessarily indicate a safe canned product. Canning guidelines are safety issues. Please visit w/ your Extension Office and/or check a Ball Blue Book to be safe. (09/12/2007)

By

Canning Your Leftover Soup

I would definitely only pressure can homemade soup. Canning in a water bath canner is not sufficient enough to kill all the bacteria especially if you use any root vegetables like carrots, onions or garlic. Do check with your county extension agent or google home canning on the web. It is best to be safe than sick. (09/14/2007)

By viki

Canning Your Leftover Soup

Hello, I am completely new to canning and from reading the above it sounds as if there are mixed opinions on how to properly can soups. I had thought about freezing the soups but I have an old fashioned fridge with a tiny little freezer. What would be the best way for canning soups w/o poisoning myself? Thanks (06/01/2008)

By Felecia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 10, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Canning SoupJune 12, 2013
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Jar of soup
Canning Soup Containing Cabbage
Mason jar of canned soup
Why Did the Lids Pop on My Canned Soup?
Canning Soups Without a Pressure Canner
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 8:14:42 PM on 10.0.2.71 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.