Saving Plants Through The Winter - Categories:

AdviceGardening

Saving Plants Through The Winter

Can I store away a hanging Strawberry plant in my basement for the winter and have it bloom the next year?

By Donna

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 11, 2009 Flag

Dear Ellen,

I just read a post that you responded to about Strawberry Plants in pots in the winter. I am hoping you can give a little clarification. You told the gentlemen that he could keep them in the garage, but he did not ask if he would need to water them during the winter.

Are the plants going to survive the winter without moisture? I will be doing the same type of thing, but don't know if I should provide regular watering or not. Thanks so much for your help.

Dina

By Dinamarie from Slatington, PA

Answers:

Saving Plants Through The Winter

I'm not Ellen so I hope you don't mind me sticking my 2 cents in here, but you must water plants occasionally if you overwinter them in a garage. You must keep the roots from freezing by putting them in a cold spot that doesn't freeze. The ideal temperature would be between 32 and 45 degrees F.

By Anonymous

May 10, 2009 Flag

I think we are moving in the spring. I want to take some of my plants with me to my new home. Does anybody know a good way to keep the plants over the winter and in what? I'm thinking this is the time to do this while I can still see what they are and decide if I want to take them. I'm in the Colorado mountains.

Thanks!
Laura

Answers:

Saving Plants Through The Winter

Laura, I am assuming that you have perennials that you want to take with you. The absolute best way of taking them with you I think:

Let us know what you decide to do. Thank goodness when I moved 10 years ago we moved in May and I was able to dig out in the Spring, place in pots and take most of my perennials with me to our new home here on the acreage. Now with over 800 different kinds in my landscaping I really would have to pick and choose carefully which ones to take.
(09/08/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 11, 2009
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
A glass of orange juice.
Saving Money on Juice
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:14:46 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.