Plant InfoGardening

Can a Spider Plant Survive Winter Outdoors?

Will a spider plant survive outside in a flower garden in the winter and come back in the summer?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

I had a Spider Plant that was left outside all winter. I did not take care of it as you can guess. I left it alone and it came back on its own.

I live in South Texas and have left my spider plants out. They seem to freeze back a little but give them water and a little fertilizer stick after frost or freeze and they come right on out....just a pretty and green as before. I don't cut the old off until green appears.

Not sure if this applies because I live in Australia. However my area is zoned cool/temperate. Winter here now, and my spider plant is in it's pot on the (uncovered) balcony, and is doing beautifully.

I live in WA and I put my houseplants out in May and bring them in late August. They seem to love it out there and turn very lush.

I now live in Montana, zone 5 also. My spider plant didn't make it through the winter. Thankfully I have several others.

My backyard patio is lined with spider plants. Here in Florida I cover the spider plants with sheets in the winter when we are due for a hard freeze or frost. They always survive with the covers. Of course I remove the covers as soon as the temperatures are above freezing. They are hardly little plants.

No, houseplants do not survive the winter in the midwest. Bring it inside.

No, they can't. I live in your area.

p.s.
Extra info:
Tip burn in spider plants is usually caused by chemicals in the water. If you are using city water for your plants, undoubtedly, it has been chlorinated and very likely has been treated with fluoride, either of which will cause the burn. Using rainwater or distilled water will take care of this problem.

Another tip is to water your plants with the old aquarium water when you do a water change, you have to put dechlorinator in the water to make it safe for your fish anyways and the old water will be much better for your plants and its better than just dumping old aquarium water out anyways

Winter in Akron, OH? NO.

Hello!
I live in Varna, Bulgaria (zone7b) on the black sea coast. Spider plants just LOVE it in the summer. Could I keep them outside during the winter in the containers?

My spider plant has never been inside. It lives in a long plastic planter on Californias central coast. Its has gone past root bound, has been divided, and flowers regularly. I am now trying to determine where to plant it in the garden- because the spiderttes keep trying to root in the leach field.. This plant turned almost translucent when we had several hard freezes last winter but came back even stronger.

It will not survive in Ohio, I leave mine hanging on the back porch all winter, but then I LIVE in South Fla. and we never even get frost. jjs

I live in South Carolina. Will my spider plant make it threw the winter outside? I live about 40 miles from the coast.

My spiders are loving it outside this summer. We'll see if they survive the winter. I'll cover them from the Pennsylvania snow.

Does my spider plants on the back porch have to be brought indoors when it gets cold?Massachusetts.

I know that the experts say spider plants cannot survive winter in a flower garden. I am in zone 7 and I have spider plants that have survived some harsh winters in my garden for at least five years. I even dug them up and brought them inside last winter and still some roots left behind produced new plants (with zero protection). I used to protect them by covering them when the weather was extreme, like temperatures in the teens and below. I am not sure that is even necessary. If you try this, be sure the roots are very deep. The depth, I think, helps protect those roots. You may lose everything above ground, but it will come back and look as full and beautiful as ever. For protection, I used a tent like plant cover I got at Ace hardware with canvas drop cloths on top of that. That gives it breathing room beneath the cover in case it gets hot under there during the day. That way, you can leave it on until the weather returns to normal cold. I plan on being brave this winter and trying it with no protection. By the way, my spider plant is not variagated color, just solid green. Because of that, it has increased hardiness, according to something I read online by the experts. Watch out for it taking over a garden with its babies.