Protecting Plants in the Winter

Category Seasonal
Many outdoor plants need or can benefit from some level of winter protection. Depending on the plant and the winter weather typical for your area there are varying things you can do to protect your plants.

I bought a miniature rose bush this year and want to protect it from wind and snow. I put some burlap over it and put some rocks and bricks down to anchor it.

Is there a way to overwinter an Anemopsis plant and a Tulbaghia plant? I have had them around my pond this summer and would love to try and save them to grow again in the spring. I am in southern Manitoba, Canada. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 2b

By BJ from Brandon, Manitoba

Answers

Best Answer

Here's a few items from an HGTV article...

"Mulch after the first freeze to insulate plants against freezing temperatures, especially those that are marginally hardy.

* Pull mulch back from the base of young trees, particularly if mice are a problem in your area; they can chew on the bark.

* Spray trees that are prone to insect and disease problems with dormant oil, provided temperatures are above 40 degrees F."

Question:

How can I protect my asparagus ferns from the winter months so they don't die back. Would covering them with plastic where they are hanging help them or hurt them? Do they require water during the winter if covered?

Eletha from California

Amswer:

I'd advise against covering them with plastic. It may interfere with leaf respiration and won't keep them from prolonged exposure to winter temperatures.

It's normal for Asparagus Ferns to need a rest in the winter. If you have them hanging in baskets, I would suggest bringing them indoors. If possible, keep them in a bright room, but out of direct sunlight.

These ferns prefer temperatures between 55 and 70 degrees and will suffer when exposed to warmer or cooler temperatures for extended periods. Although they enjoy being kept moist in the summer, it's best to keep them on the drier side during the winter months.

If plants are large, you may want to cut them back a little to better manage them indoors. Expect some needle dropping-it's normal. However, if over-watered they will drop many of their needles.

Fertilize them at 1/2 normal strength every 2 weeks or so and resume growing them outdoors in summer.

Roses are a very hearty flower but might need some protection from harsh winters. This is a page about methods for protecting roses in winter.

Red Rose covered in snow.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about preparing container plants for winter. Containers provide less protection for your plants than if they were planted in the ground. The upside is that they are portable.

snow in flower pot

This page is about preventing damage to trees and shrubs in winter. During the winter snow and cold, it helps to give protection to some kinds of woody plants.

tree protected for winter

By ThriftyFun.com Staff

It's getting below freezing where I live. It normally does not. I want to protect some plants I have in my harden. What is the best way to this cheaply?

Tony

Answers:

Milk Jugs and Soda Bottles

Do you have lots of milk and soda bottles? Cut the top half off and use the bottom with 4 holes cut to let air in, use to protect plants outside from excessive rain and cold!

By Kim (06/02/2005)

Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalOctober 24, 2019
🍂
🎄