Preparing Container Plants for Winter

snow in flower potI live in a townhome and have a porch and patio to display flowers. Each fall before it freezes I bring a bunch of my plants inside, pots and hanging baskets of geraniums, especially. I place them around a window in a spare room that gets pretty good light. They drop a lot of leaves at first, but gradually get accustomed to the indoor conditions.

In the spring I take them back out again. I save so much money by not having to replace these plants every year. This year I started nasturtium, zinnia, and vinca from seed in several pots and they turned out so pretty - the cost of the seeds is small. Every year I have a super nice display of flowers and it costs me hardly anything!

By Holly from Denver, CO

More Solutions

For most of us, the first hard frosts of fall mark the end of container gardening season. Here are some tips for tidying up your dead or dormant plants, moving your favorites indoors, and cleaning up and storing your containers for the winter.

Container planters on a porch.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

4 Questions

I want to grow mint in a container outdoors above ground, but I'm concerned about winter storage. There is no room in the apartment, will it winter in a shed with protection? If so, what steps can be taken?

By Susan from Winooski, VT

Answers

Possibly. Maybe nestle the pot in a bin of straw or rags for extra insulation?
Do you have room for a 4-inch pot on the windowsill this winter? Mint is very easy to root.

I'd suggest you hold a cutting over inside the first winter as backup till you know if the shed storage will be sufficient.

It's been my experience you can't kill mint. That's why I keep mine in a container too. It just takes on a life of it's own and look out!

Answer this Question

This page is about protecting pots and planters over the winter. You may want to keep some of your container plants and pots for next spring.

Protecting Pots and Planters Over Winter

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
In These Pages
Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalSeptember 16, 2014
👒
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Preparing-Container-Plants-for-Winter-1.html