Holiday Ice Candle

This candle is easy to make and makes a very attractive centerpiece. It looks like a candle inside of chunks of snow.

Materials:

• cardboard milk carton, half-gallon size

• 8 or 10 cakes of Gulf wax from the grocery store

• a thin white candle tall enough to go from bottom of milk carton to top of new candle, or candle wick

• enough ice cubes, broken in half, to more than fill the milk carton*

*The open work of the candle depends on the size of the broken ice used to make it. If the chunks of ice are too small, the candle will not have a lacy snowy appearance.

Directions:

Cut the top off the milk carton, wash thoroughly, let dry.

1. Melt the wax. I melt mine in an old 2 quart measuring cup set in a pan of boiling water. The measuring cup makes the wax easier to pour.
  2. Holding the thin candle or wick in the center, fill the milk carton with the broken ice cubes, and immediately pour the hot wax into the ice-filled container. As soon as it has cooled, pour the water off and remove the carton.
  3. Place the candle on a saucer and decorate by putting a wide ribbon and bow around the bottom of the candle. Flowers may be put around the base, if desired.

This is a particularly nice candle for Christmas because the clear/white wax looks like snow and you can place short pieces of pine branches around the base immediately below the ribbon.

Source: I don't remember where the idea came from as I have been making these candles since I was a kid, and I am now retired.

By Clynn from Inglis, FL

This sounds very nice. Do you have a picture of the finished candle? I would love to see it.

Thanks,

Lanaya

www.kreationz4kidz.com

I did this and put a small piece of broken crayola in wax for a slight aqua tint and it was beautiful. The solid white is really pretty too. You can use any color of crayola you want. Nice for center pieces for baby showers, weddings, Christmas and any occasion. I got this out of a magazine in the late 60's and have used it alot.

I remember making these candles with my mom. Oh the memories. I am 62 and I still miss my parents.

I first made this in Girl Scouts I am 55 yrs young :.) They are great for any kind of a gift. I was just thinking about doing them for gifts. I save all my candles that burn down and hope to use them for this. I haven't made these in yrs. Can make for any time of the year. My used candles are usually scented, so I don't know how the scents will work together. thunderheart54

Sounds fun and I have broken crayons to use for tints. I might try to do some soon for Christmas gifts.

Wow, we made these as kids too. There used to be instructions on the GulfWax packages.

Well Clyde, I'm about the same age and I remember making one of these when I was a teenager in the 1960s! It came out very well, too. I have no idea what became of my candle, but I've thought for years about making another one. Now that you've refreshed my mind on the directions, I just may make one this year! Thanks for posting this!

Santa gourds.
Homemade Christmas Decorations
Crafts Candle Making How ToAugust 12, 2009
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Recycled Wrapping Paper Christmas Lamps
Recycled Wrapping Paper Christmas Lamps
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Pine Cone Snowman
Making a Pine Cone Snowman
🎉
🎄