Craft Ideas For Used T-shirts

I'm looking for some information. I recently learned to crochet and am practicing making rag rugs (all shapes) and tote bags with recycled t-shirts that I cut up into strips.

At first, my family was really excited about my rugs and I made lots. They gave me all their discarded t-shirts and stuff. I now have mountains of old t-shirts which aren't good to give away, but perfect to recycle into other things. The problem is, now my family is begging me not to make them any more rugs, place mats and bags because they have so many. I still have literally a mountain of old stuff which I would love to use, but I have no idea for what else to make with them.

Does anyone have any ideas please? I really hate to throw them away, but they are taking up so much storage space for nothing, at the moment. Any thoughts, please?

By cett from Malta, Europe

Check with some mechanics in your area. They could probably use them for grease rags, wiping their hands etc.

Saw some interesing ideas in this month's Family Fun magazine - for scarves & cutouts - also check with Martha Stewart's site & threadbanger.com on the net always has ideas, too.

You can do so many things with t-shirts!

Dolls: they make awesome fabric for making rag dolls!

Lacy women's & girls t's: you can cut the sleeves shorter & make them smaller then crochet around the neck & sleeves.

Sachet's: make tiny pillows from the fabric & stuff with dried lavender for sachets.

Hanging sachets: make hearts that hang from ribbons with dried lavender to hang in closets.

Ribbing: use t-shirts as ribbing on cuffs of other clothes (fold over fabric & iron to make ribbing)

Scarves: dye & cut strips for fringe scarves.

Pillow cases: they make the softest pillow cases!

Summertime couch & throw pillow covers: in the summer, cut off the top part to form a tube with bottom section then take this tube & cover couch cushions to keep sweat off & keep couch clean.

Hot pads & trivets: make hot pads: fill with cloves & cinnamon to make wonderful smelling trivets.

Heating pads: make tubes then fill with rice then microwave to make "hot pads".

Eyepads: make little tube or "sunglasses shape" then fill with buckwheat for eyepads to aid sleeping.

Drawstring bags: kids can keep toys in them or store anything in them.

Glasses case: keep you sunglasses from getting scratched in tiny drawstring bag.

Crochet bag: make a bag to store 1 skein of yarn & a crochet hook or knitting needles to take on-the-go projects.

Sleeping bag storage: make a drawstring bag to store sleeping bags.

Hammock: I've seen indoor hammocks made from crocheted strips of t-shirts.

Beanbag chair: sew wedges together then tie-dye & fill with shredded foam or pellets.

Little girls ruffled t-shirt: cut strips from a t-shirt then fold in half & iron. use this to make a ruffle for adding on to the

Bottom of kids t-shirt. Also sew a ruffle on the sleeves.

Applique: make kids t-shirt from adults t, adding zig-zag appliqué.

Thank you all so much. Loads of ideas here, and since I'm not too good at sewing. If they don't work out, at least I have plenty of fabric piled up, so I can try again!

I have several projects for crocheting with T-yarn (tee-shirt cut into yarn) at this link http://www.myre … irt-yarn-crafts/

I have curled it and it's really cool to crochet with it. You can also just crochet with it cut into strips like you do with rags. I have a few free patterns at my blog using the T-yarn if you'd like to try them.

Oh Cindy! What a gifted lady you are! I haven't been on your site for a while and had no idea you were using t-shirt yarn as well as plarn. I've made tons of stuff for myself from your site: video tape bags, plarn shopping bags, purses, etc. Now I can start on other things, and knowing how talented you are, I'm sure you will invent some more patterns for t-shirt yarn. I'll be visiting your site often to have a look. You are truly amazing! God bless you!

I dont know anything about crochet/knitting(it confuses me). But for reusing tees with sewing(hand or machine) I highly recommend "Generation T, 108 ways to transforn a t-shirt" by Megan Nicolay $10.37 on amazon.

Move closer to me and make me some rag rugs, I wont complain, lol. A realistic idea, make some more rag rugs and donate them. Nursing homes, pet shelters, etc.

Blankets, curtains, and yard sell your items. I know lots of women looking for ways to supplement an income and you have a perfect one.

Do a search on the internet for "uses for old t-shirts".

Anonymous

Can't remember where I found this idea a few months ago but I kept the picture as a future project reminder for a fun and goofy pillow :-) It's pretty self explanatory how to make one ;-) I too have a collection of t-shirts to recycle ;-)

I have my children's t-shirts from their little league, soccer, vacation spots and favorite TV shows for pillows, sewn together for quilts and curtains with backings. The memories will last a lifetime.

Several years ago, when my nephew graduated from high school, I went to a place that screen prints shirts, and bought a t-shirt, then had them put his football number on it, and the name of his school, along with his last name on the back. I couldn't afford to buy the actual jersey type shirt, so a t-shirt had to do. I then made it into a throw pillow for his graduation present.

Hey micksgirl! If you're interested in moving to a tiny island in the middle of the Mediterranean, then I would be happy to make you as many as you want! donating them to fund raising sales for charity would be an excellent idea! I don't have much income(cant go to work as I have an autistic child to care for alone) but I'm always happy to help those worse off than myself. Thanks, I'll start on a few now!

LOL I am there Cett be watching for me.

No I am not there, I wish, lol, that's all that meant. Nope I am in Kentucky, which I bet isn't near as nice as your little island.

If you get tired of them, there are always crafters on freecycle.org looking for free craft items!

Blessings,

Robyn

You could sew the bottom halves together to make a "quilt gut" - batting for a quilt. Or you could use the bottom halves as cloth diapers. Just cut straight across, under the sleeves, then turn the raw edges under & zigzag stitch all the way around the diaper. You would have to use regular large safety pins instead of diaper pins because the difference in fabric. I've never had a problem with them popping loose & sticking a baby.

All the items you've made for gifts, could also be sold at craft shows or do a "yard Boutique"; like a rummage sale, but no rummage, just hand made "gifts". I do them about once a month from May through Sept. Make some pocket change with your creativeness :0)