Dishwasher Reviews

What are the ten best dishwashers by ratings of 1 to 10?

Ed from Monson, MA

You can get on line and find ratings...however, you can take this word of not buy a Maytag...ours is less than 6 yrs. old...expensive and immediately began to fall apart, the wheels broke off, the things holding the adjustable tines broke off..the stuff wore off the tines. the black gasket around the door seems to put black smudges on the inside of the washer. Last Jan. it stopped all together and we replaced the board, a month ago the electronics on the board evidently gave up again and now it will stop shortly into a cycle. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it just stops.

I am not certian of number order but Maytag/Jenn-air used to be considered top notch. Sadly, things are not made like they used to be and my MAYTAG REPAIR MAN suggested I buy a Kennmore when my MAYTAG finally dies!!! Hope this helps some.

I too have been hearing negative remarks about new or newer Maytag products. I really hate to hear that because all my big appliances, with the exception of my Kenmore refrigerator, are Maytags and have been absolutely trouble free for years. My dishwasher is especially wonderful, I can't believe some of the gunk this machine cleans off! I believe Kenmore is still considered reliable and many friends like Bosch. Fisher/Paykel (sp) is popular too but is too expensive in my opinion.

We have relied upon the Consumer Report Frequency of Repair/Best Buy books from the library.

They have served us so well that we KNOW they are real...AND they send us surveys about this thing and that to fill out and return to them to add to their

"Consumers'" list of reporting, along with their own individual unbiased professional testing results for the public to know about. They don't pull any punches if something is bad, believe me, and make VERY few mistakes. I'm so pleased with them that I have kept every book/mag. I've ever gotten since

1970. They're like CLASSICS and serve to help us make fewer bad purchases, WELL worth researching

any significant purchase with them PRIOR to buying

ANYTHING, almost. They S O M E TIMES make a mistake by reviewing a newest model of something BEFORE getting consumer's use results over a couple of years, so beware of this fact.

Also, I was dreadfully disappointed when I went looking for a new dishwasher a few years ago, learning quickly from past experience that most mfgrs. have "built in obsolescence" by a poor soap

part that broke FIRST in our dishwasher, and is STILL broken. However, I bought a stainless steel

TUB KitchenAid (bought out by some other company

now, I hear)which has lasted almost 30 years!!! The

wheels finally gave out and rather than buying a new washer, I Jerry-rigged new ones from wheels out of other dishwashers being tossed on the curbside, and

have gotten many more years of use out of it out of necessity. I got black glass fronts on all appliances back when it was first introduced, and they have been

just great until a friend accidentally broke them. Now

I'm stuck with several fronts broken, but the insides still work, hoping to find some being tossed that I might salvage curbside since I am now low income!

I, too, read in Consumers' Report that Maytag was NOT what it used to be in so many ways. I suppose

the need for greater profits finally got to them? Kenmore is just a Sears brand for some other brand

made, you know. Typically it has worked well, but I believe I read that Amana and Whirlpool are producing the greatest longest wearing appliances now. Good luck withthe library research/archives/micro-fisch? and God bless you. : )

P.S., I didn't keep the LIBRARY issues of Consumers Reports, only the ones we could afford through our own subscription years ago. Now I rely solely upon the library archives for any report I missed or have misplaced, and for anything newish, should I ever be able to afford it. Wanted to clear up any misunderstanding so I wouldn't look like a thief or goof ball. lol

We just had a man come to look at our Maytag Quiet Series 300 dishwasher today again for the 4th time to try to fix the problems. He has had over 25 years in the field and he says the dishwashers that give people the most problems are Maytag. It is gonna cost me over $400 to fix this lemon. We are off today to buy a Kenmore Elite. I will no longer buy Maytag. There company use to be quality, but no longer. They have cut corners and will no longer get business from me. I will stick to brands liek Kenmore, Bosch, or GE. He did tell me that the newer models of appliances they make these days with the exception of the refrigerators only last for 5-6 years at the most before having major problems. I guess it is like the Old model cars. They just don't make things to last like they use to in the old days.

Please don't invest in a maytag. We bought a top of the line model & it was wonderful. Cleaned everything spotless, however it only lasted 3 years. Waste of a thousand dollars. My husband still believed in maytag so I agreed to try again thinking maybe I had done something to wreck the old dishwasher. Bad move. This time we settled for a 750.00 dishwasher. The problems started right away. It didn't clean properly & a chunch of the door broke off. I went to open it one day & a big chunk came off in my hand. We ended up moving when it was less then 2 years old & left it at the house. I now own everything with a kenmore logo. I had a Kenmore fridge & stove at our other home for 11 years & the only problem I had was the elements on the stove burned out once. Sears stands behind their products & they are good.

I bought a Bosch SHX series 2 years ago and I run 1-2 loads a day and have had NO problems. I LOVE this dishwasher! It's so quiet that sometimes I'll open the door by mistake and realize it's running! I put all my stock pots, everything in this dishwasher & it magically comes out spotless! I think you could put an engine block in there & it would do the job.Hope this is helpful to someone. *My brother had a Maytag dishwasher & the bearings went out in a year!

BTW, I had a KitchenAid by Hobart that lasted for 32 years! And, it hardly cost anything in repairs! My dad bought a KitchenAid dishwasher when they were taken over by another company and it's constantly in need of repairs.His dishes are so dirty they have to be rewashed 2 or 3 times. So I wouldn't recommend KitchenAid. My friends have a Miele dishwasher and swear by it.They are a bit more costly initially.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and HomeJanuary 14, 2007
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher