Make Dog Treats out of Hot Dogs

Cheap dog treats! I was spending a fortune on dog treats training our puppy. I have since begun buying hot dogs and I slice them into thin discs. About half I cut again into 4ths. I use the smaller ones for training, when you need to use many in one sitting. I have done them in the dehydrator and in the oven on a rack. I cook until crisp. They not only store well, but one pack makes A LOT of treats. Our dog even prefers these over the expensive store bought treats.

The price is about $3.49 for 8 oz of store bought "real beef flavor treats vs. $1.00 lb (on sale of course!) 100% beef hot dog treats!

By Jen from Kennett Square, PA

We used dried cat food as treats for our dogs when we were training them. They're small, and the dogs just love them.

I don't think people food is good for dogs. Good idea, but not for my doggies.

I'd be afraid of the sodium content in these. How much salt can a dog have?

Hot dogs are full of nitrates and fake stuff, not good for animals. Use ground beef, at least you know what is in it (if you get the organic kind).

I've tried the hotdogs treats, as well. I've found they tend to stick in their throats and cause them to cough. I will use them if I run out of my other treats. I've used cat food, also. It works great and the dogs love it. But, what I mainly use is deer meat or beef. My husband hunts, so we have lots of deer meat. But, I've used beef as well. I buy the least expensive beef roast I can find and boil it. After it cools, I cut it into thin slices and then into tiny cubes about 1/4". I freeze them in small ziplock bags so I can pull them out as needed. They last a long time.

We give our dog the nubs of carrots for a treat. He loves them. Apple cores too.

My Mom was a Vet, she always said feeding dogs meat is bad?

I use vegetarian dog food.

Giving these very sparingly would be the way to go. The preservatives and fat aren't really good in the long run (then again, our vet says that ALL packaged treats are also a no-no, the canine equivalent of humans sucking down candy bars).

Our gal gets ice cubes and fresh veggies to munch on, but most of the time to her a real reward is another round of playing catch, as her ball drive overrides the food drive.

Good for you! Anyone who has been following the horror stories about arsenic, seizures and other problems with commercial dog food will use this article. Look at some of the dogs and see how fat they've become eating commercial dog treats that are loaded with fat & sugar. Want to extend your dogs life? Serve him cooked chicken, brown rice & vegetables as well.

I've done this, but I've only cut the hot dogs into rounds and dehydrated them. Never tried using the oven. AND I got the hot dogs on sale, too!

I wouldn't suggest hot dogs as dog treats, for several reasons. One is the nitrates and nitrites. Generally speaking these are bad for dogs. They're also bad for people. I just bought some uncured natural beef hot dogs, but they're expensive.

Secondly, the sodium levels are sky high in hot dogs. And hot dogs are often seasoned with things that are toxic to dogs, like onions and garlic.

On the other hand, actual dog treats themselves are pretty bad for dogs. They're basically junk food, with a lot of salt and fat.

I give in with my cat, but she only gets six Friskies hard treats per day, and they're not much bigger than her regular food pieces.

Use unseasoned cooked chicken or beef in little pieces. I just got a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.69 per pound (for me) and gave some to Mocha. She loved it, of course.

Two bone shaped dog biscuits
Saving Money on Dog Treats
Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesOctober 13, 2008
Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Making Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub