Use Hot Dogs for Cat Treats

When cookout season is over you most likely will find condiments and hot dogs marked down so it is definitely time to stock up! My cat (Omen) LOVES me to slice her a hot dog into her dish for a snack ! The cost of kitty treats is near $3 for a small pouch vs. a pack of hot dogs for 79 cents!

By Veronica from Sedalia, Missouri

Good idea to check with Vet before feeding "hot dogs" to pets. The nitrites in hot dogs are not healthy for our 4 legged pals.

Make sure that the hotdogs DO NOT contain any kind of onion or onion powder. Onion is deadly to cats and can cause a rare form of anemia. Garlic should also NOT be fed to kitties!

In addition to what has been said, check the amount of fat in the hot dogs. We have an poodle with chronic pancreatitis and one of our cats has had a bout with it (with a $1400 vet bill) due to a fatty diet. It can also lead to diabetes - which is becoming increasingly common in our pets because we're "feeding them to death". My previous vet told me to keep my pets on a low fat diet, even if they weren't overweight, because too many of the pet foods have too much fat in them. He refused to recommend many of the common brands you see in PetSmart or Petco because of this.

While I know your kitty likes a treat, try dried Bonito Tuna flakes, or cooked chicken.

Nope, not a good idea. Onion and garlic are prolific in those things for flavor and full of nitrates.

Ditto to what everyone else is saying about the health dangers of hot dogs for pets. Hot dogs aren't even good for humans, much less our pets. On a different note...I used to know an old man who bought individually wrapped Oscar Meyer hot dogs for his little dog and those things aren't cheep!