Craft Activities for an Elderly Blind Client

I work with an elderly lady who is legally blind and she wants to work with her hands to keep busy. Any suggestions?

By Mary from HI

Best Answer

Hello Mary. You are a good woman for searching out hobbies and crafts for your friend. Bless you!

Have you ever seen the old movie "A Patch of Blue" starring Sir Sidney Poitier (1965)? He meets and befriends a young blind woman that does bead work because she knows what beads (color & size) are in what bins of her bead container to make jewelry.

Knitting and crocheting are other activities that sight challenged people can do well, as they can "count" the stitches with their fingers to make lovely items for themselves or others.

Hook rugs or rag rugs also don't require perfect sight as long as someone can help the person organize the colors of yarns and fabrics in a well defined manner.

I'm sure there are dozens of other activities that others will suggest, but these were the first to come to mind for me. Good luck and happy projects ahead for your friend.

I suggest knitting its something. You can do it without your eye sight.

I suggest finding craft projects that involve other sensors. For example, if you can find scented play dough, it deals with touch and smell. I don't know if I would suggest teaching her how to knit. I think it is really frustrating to learn even with sight. Another project I would recommend is making silly putty which can be an enjoyable experience due to the squishy textures. You make it with little mess by measuring equal parts Elmer's glue and liquid starch into a plastic baggie and squishing it around to incorporate the ingredients. Then you can take it out knead it together and squish it around. Good luck, and have fun!

My husband is totally blind. I taught him to knit several years ago! Granted he can only do simple projects like scarves and afghans, but he loves it!

how about a fidget blanket with all different things on it.

Hands forming a bowl on a pottery wheel
Craft Activities for Blind People
Crafts AdviceApril 4, 2011
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Blind Dog
Caring for a Blind Dog
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
blind woman
Things to Do with a Blind Companion