Cold Drinks for Working Outside

Living in the southeast we get accustomed to working outside in the high heat and high humidity. Today isn't too awfully bad, 89 Degrees F and 53% humidity. But I thought I'd pass along a tidbit to help cope with the heat.

I found some plastic drinking jugs at Wal-Mart for $1.50 each. They come in different colors. They hold about 24 ounces of liquid, have a handle to grip, and a pop up spout. Each night I fill them no more than 1/3 full with drinks, and freeze them overnight. Right now I have one with water, one iced tea, and one lemonade.

Then the next day when I want a good cold drink to take outside with me (I have a very strict house rule; nothing glass goes outside!), I just take one, finish filling it up with whatever is in it, and take it with me. With the solid ice in the bottom it stays cold much longer than with ice cubes, plus the ice doesn't dilute the drink!

One jug will usually last me most if not all afternoon. And it stays icy cold the whole time!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I do this too and it works great! I live in W. TN

Great idea but would like to add that it might be better to have two jugs; one luke warm/room temp to drink during eating or while food is digesting in the stomach (3 to 5 hours) and one cold to cool the outer body whether by cloth, spray or splashing ;-)

As cold drinks pass through the system, they solidify the fats from the foods we have just eaten or are eating at present. This makes it harder for the body to digest and disperse the unwanted fats from our body. Warmer fluids ease the digestive system and help the fats pass through. Who of us want accumulated fat in our body, especially our arteries ;-)

For all of Deeli's good intentions, when we drink cold liquids, they are warmed to body temperature in the esophagus and stomach; and fat is digested further down in the digestive tract.

Cold liquids help cool the body, keeping our core temperature from rising as much.

Warm or cool--it's your preference. The important thing is to stay hydrated. If you wait until you're very thirsty, you've waited too long. Sip frequently as you work.

Make sure those drinking jugs are not made with #7 plastic. See the essay at the bottom of this page. I believe it takes some heat to release the BPA; however, there are many safe kinds of plastic, so no use taking a risk. Only the #7 kind are dangerous; all others are fine.

With all due respect to Jilson, the stomach begins the digestion by storing and 'mixing' and producing the first digestive juices from the food and fluid (3 to 5 hours) before sending it on to the small intestine for further digestion. First expelled from the stomach are carbohdrates and then proteins. The last to be expelled from the stomach are the fats. But Jilson is correct in keeping hydrated and my original post was simply 'food for thought' ;-)

The fat stays in the stomach longer regardless of whether or not one drinks cold fluids, that is just how digestion works. It is in there long enough that it is returned to core temperature long before it is released into the intestines, where it mixes with the digestive fluids to be broken down and absorbed or expelled. The stomach fluids do not digest the fat.

Unless the individual is in a severely hypothermic condition (at whch point digestion would be the least of the issues), the stomach contents are at core temperature. Also, if the "don't drink cold" theory was the case, would we not WANT to drink lots of ice water, so the fat we ingest would remain solid and not be digested?

Yes, I have read some of the theorist ideas regarding drinking hot water after meals preventing cancer, etc. However, as a health professional, I depend on solid research and evidence-based articles before I will buy in. I need data.

Cricket, I don't think you intended to start a discussion on fat digestion! Regarding your idea, I do the same thing! I lay the bottles down at an angle so that the ice forms along the side, not just at the bottom. And I might add, when it's very hot and you are working outside, you definitely don't want to drink hot fluids or you'd be tempting heat stroke.

Cricketnc, I wanted to say I am sorry that your tip turned in to a fat debate :-( I was simply throwing a bit of info out there to think about when it comes to combinations of anything so you and other readers could think about it and decide for yourselves.

I never expected a well intentioned comment would turn in to such a big deal :-( Personally, I've noticed that cultures who do stick to luke warm/room temperature beverages have better health overall.

I prefer cold water flavored with lemon juice when I'm warm, and I drink it slowly. Also, I remember being told in gym class that you should NOT drink cold water when overheated.

If these contain any BPA (which being so inexpensive I suspect they would) freezing liquids in them is very dangerous. You can get ice cube trays that make tube shaped cubes that would be safer. Ice cold water can cause stomach cramping in hot temps too. If you suffer from heat stroke they do not give you cold drinks to rehydrate. Maybe a better solution would be a small cooler with ice and water.

Thank you for your hint, Cricketnc! My parents do something similar (and it gets hot here in Oklahoma, too!). We saved the cups from some Italian Ice, because they're the perfect shape to make huge chunks of ice. They like the one big chunk in their cup, because it lasts longer, and the ice releases very easily from the Italian Ice cup. Thanks for sharing your idea!

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 29, 2009
Drink Stain on Carpet
Cleaning Drink Stains on Carpet
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Keeping Drinks Cold
Keeping Drinks Cold
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
🎄
🍂