Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

Some of you have posted that you use vinegar in the dishwasher as a rinse agent (rather than products like Jet Dry). I'd like to do that too, but I need more information. With Jet Dry, you just put the product in the dishwasher once a month or something like that. Is that what you do with the vinegar - just put some in the dishwasher's little dispensing well once a month? Or do you do it more often? Thanks.

Tina from Ashland, OR

I'll have to be a dissenting vote here--I tried it a couple of years ago and it didn't do a thing for me. I had just as many spots as I did with nothing in the rinse dispenser. I hope it works for you, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Whether or not vinegar works for you depends on the type of water that you have. When it worked for me, I opened the door on the rinse cycle and tossed in about a cup of vinegar. Worked like a charm. Since I used a lot of vinegar, I didn't use the little dispenser. Now that I have a water softener, I don't need to use either a rinse agent or vinegar.

As the jet dry well needs it.

I use vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. I just fill it up when it indicates it's empty.

I've been filling the JetDri rinse reservoir with vinegar lately, and the glasses and plates are defintely clearer.

I use vinegar in the dishwasher not for spot removal but to keep the lines clear because we have a lot of calcium in our water. I also use it in the coffee maker, then run a pot of water through after, and I use it in my wash machine to keep those lines clean too. I have to use about a 1/2 c because of the condition of our water.

I use vinegar as a rinse aid. I use about a 1/4 cup I throw in when the dishes start to wash, I don't put it in the well and it works good for me.

I set a small bowl that holds about 1/2 cup of vinegar on the top rack just before I turn the machine on. It has made a huge difference. I don't want to use JetDry any longer, was looking for something more natural.

This vinegar disperses as the water is tossed around in the machine.

I have read that you should not put vinegar in the dispenser because it might be too caustic for the parts.

I believe the word you meant to use was corrosive, not caustic. Caustic is actually the opposite of an acid...

Dishwasher full of dishes.
Homemade Rinse Agent Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes DishesOctober 7, 2008
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher full of dishes.
Saving Money on Rinse Agent
Open dishwasher.
Cleaning Dishwasher Rinse Agent Dispenser
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
🎄
🍂