Canning Soups That Contain Milk

I want to can cream of broccoli and corn chowder soup and want to know if I make it with milk and and thicken with butter and flour will this be okay? How long and do I hot bath or pressure can it?

By Lucy from Madison, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have been thinking about this for a while. I think hot bath, and eat it within 2 weeks. I am going to work on this myself, also so will write back. I have 26 years experience in restaurants, and am trying to start my own business.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

May 19, 2011 Flag

My sister-in-law made some potato soup and put it in canning jars. She asked me if they would have to be put in the refrigerator or not. I did not know that answer. Can you help?

By Debbie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When making glass jars full of potato or other soups, you need to sterilize everything and even use a hot water bath seal method. Adding salt and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) getting it up to the right temperature all help to keep it healthy. Making sure seals are still tight and the dent lid has not popped up or loose. Keep stored in a cool dry place where metal rings will not rust, or altered by sunlight.

Some recipes with cornstarch or flour in it have a stability problem when canning as finished soup, but you could probably make a base of potatoes with the salt and herbs. Leave the dry ingredients and butter out till its time to make for eating. Some people have used various methods they swear by for canning, but you must be careful of food poisoning. I do make a potato and corn chowder but I freeze mine. Though canning would be the best choice if the power were to fail I have a lot of food I would have to use up in less than a few days. To get the temperature up high enough for safety reasons, and not damage the ingredients is quite a balancing act. Makes you wonder how commercial soup makers do it but they do add quite a large amount of preservatives including salt.

I think a low-acid food, such as milk based soups, need a pressure canner. If not processed in a pressure canner, they should be refrigerated for short-term storage.

If she just made it and put it in jars she needs to refrigerate it and use within a week. If she processed it that's different. I wouldn't eat it unless it had been pressure canned.

Debbie,

Thanks for asking this question. It caused me to be curious so I looked it up on my search engine. I found this website. I think you'll like it.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canningsoups.htm

I think I'll try canning some soup this year. :-))

Read More Answers...

August 24, 2010 Flag

I canned homemade cream of tomato soup and then read that I shouldn't can anything with milk in it. Can I open the jars and freeze the soup?

By Berni in Mich from MI

Food and Recipes CanningAugust 24, 2010
Growing Quince, Canning Quince, Freezing Quince, Peeling Quince, Storing Quince. Selecting Good Quince. Holding Out a Ripe Quince
Canning Quince
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 10:42:47 AM on 10.0.0.156 in 668 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.