Canning Soups That Contain Milk

Category Soup
Cream soup in a jar
Many home canners, especially new ones to this preservation method, ask if it is doable and safe to can soups containing milk. This is a guide about canning soups that contain milk.

My sister-in-law made some potato soup and put it in canning jars. She asked me if they would have to be put in the refrigerator or not. I did not know that answer. Can you help?

By Debbie

Best Answer

If she didn't process them, more than likely they should be refrigerated. In fact it always used to be that when people canned any type of food it was kept in a cool place, like a basement for storage. It was felt that the foods kept better in a cool place.

Best Answer

I think a low-acid food, such as milk based soups, need a pressure canner. If not processed in a pressure canner, they should be refrigerated for short-term storage.

I want to can cream of broccoli and corn chowder soup and want to know if I make it with milk and and thicken with butter and flour will this be okay? How long and do I hot bath or pressure can it?

By Lucy from Madison, NY

Best Answer

I have been thinking about this for a while. I think hot bath, and eat it within 2 weeks. I am going to work on this myself, also so will write back. I have 26 years experience in restaurants, and am trying to start my own business.