AdviceDecorating

Integrating Shabby Chic and Masculine Modern Decor

I am a lover of the shabby chic, feminine romantic, cottage style. My husband prefers masculine, modern, dark furniture, Eames chair look. We live in a large, open California style home with marble-like tile and metal windows. Much of our furniture and accessories is to his taste.

Any suggestions about how I can bring more of my softer, "shabbier" look into our rooms? Or must I select a few rooms as "mine" and leave the rest to the hard-edge, leather-covered, masculine style?

By zoestarchild from San Diego, CA

Maybe add a slipcover to some of the upholstery in a linen type material. That is a trademark of the shabby chic look. I would stay away from cutesy florals. For body of the piece, you could try adding some toss pillows as accents that are more in your taste and see how they look.

My rule is only one can decorate. Give him a room to do as he likes and you take over the rest of the house. After all you are the one who cleans it I am sure.

Well, this was posted in May 2010 and it's now Nov 2013 .... so how did it all turn out? were you able to merge your styles harmoniously? Do you have any photo's to share? Your dilemma is a very common one and it would be nice to see how you solved it.