Making a Shabby Chic Greeting Card
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 408 Posts
June 2, 2014
Use a selection of embellishments and stamping techniques, and create a card with a vintage feel. The card can be ideal as a birthday card for an older lady, or by adding a touching message, it can be turned into a special card for Mother's Day. This vintage card is sure to be cherished by the recipient.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: one card
- 12 x 12 in sheet from Vintage Christmas Paper Pad (product code CO723551) from www.couturecreations.com.au
- A4 vanilla-colored cardstock
- 2.5 x 1.7 in natural Hessian (burlap)
- 2 in wooden cut-out bird cage
- 1 in wide cream-colored lace
- 0.5 in wide matching belt ribbon
- ivory-colored button
- caramel-colored paper craft string
- 3D self-adhesive foam squares
- pink and green ink pads
- Spray & Sparkle Gold Glitter Varnish
- tea bag
- box of matches
- fine paintbrush
- pair of standard scissors
- quick drying glue
- From the vanilla-colored cardstock, cut the following two pieces: 8.2" x 5.6" and 1.6" x 3"
- Steep the tea bag in half a cup of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the tea bag from the water and allow the bag to cool before proceeding with the next step.
- Take the two pieces cut from the vanilla-colored cardstock, and give the front and back of both sides of cardstock an aged look by rubbing or dabbing the tea bag on the cardstock.
- Place the two pieces of stained cardstock on a flat surface. Place a heavy book on top of them and allow them to dry completely.
- Score the 8.2 x 5.6 stained cardstock in half to create a card sized 5.6 x 4.1.
- Cut a piece sized 5.3 x 3.4 from the scrapbook paper. With the fold at the top, centre and glue the scrapbook paper to the front of the card.
- Glue the lace to the bottom of the card. Glue the belt ribbon in place just below the top edge of the lace and cut off any protruding edges.
- Use the paint brush to apply an even layer of the pink ink onto the flower section of the Jablos stamp. Clean the brush and now apply green ink to the stamps stem and leaves. Transfer the image onto the small stained piece of cardstock and then carefully lift the stamp. Allow the stamped image to dry thoroughly before continuing with the next step.
- Burn the edges of the small piece of stained cardstock with matches to create an antique effect. Use your finger to lightly brush some of the ash over the stamped rose, to also give the rose an antique effect.
- Give the bird cage an antique look by dragging a lit match close to the bird cage in a circular motion. You will see darker shapes forming on the surface of the cage. Note: Do not hold the match too close to the cut-out of the cage, as you do not want to damage it.
- Spray the small piece of stained cardstock (with the rose) and the birdcage with a quick layer of the Spray & Sparkle Gold Glitter Varnish and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use the 3D self-adhesive foam squares to add the stamped rose to the left of the card.
- Glue the piece of Hessian in place on the right, and glue the birdcage in place on top of the Hessian.
- Thread the paper craft string through the buttons holes and glue the button in place. Neatly cut off the ends of the paper craft string.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.