Dealing with Dust

Here are some dusting tips as recommended by our ThriftyFun community. If you have any advice on dusting, post them here.

Save Socks for Dusting

When white socks are starting to wear out and they are ready to toss out, DON'T. Save them for dusting and polishing furniture. Slip one over your hand and ole, a freebie dust cloth. If you prefer, you can coat them with a light spray of PLEDGE (or whatever other brand you prefer).

By joesgirl

Easy Dusting Tips - Outdoors

I've always had a hard time cleaning vinyl siding and the bricks on the exterior of my home, you know, cobwebs and dust!

I found the nifty duster on Ebay that is used like a whip and let me literally beat the dust into submission. Even helped to vent my frustrations.

They had a website as well, - a little pricey but it worked like a charm.

Great forum, thanks for providing the great tips for me and my family!

By Jerry

Dusting Ceiling Corners and Improving Air Quality

I swear by this. Attach a rag sprayed with your favorite dusting spray to a broom secure with a rubber band or old hose and give your ceiling a quick dusting. it does wonders for the air quality.

By Christine

Using Used Dryer Sheets

You probably throw out dryer sheets after the laundry is done, right? They make terrific dusters! I keep them in a stack and whenever I need to quickly clean something, they come in so handy, even better than a duster.

By Nadine

Dusting Techniques

• When you dust, start at the top and work down.
  • A clean paint brush is useful for dusting hard to reach places.
  • Spray your broom or dust mop with a little furniture polish and more dust will be collected as you sweep.
  • Put old gym socks on your hands if you like the hands-on approach.
  • Vacuum upholstery, it is often the only way to dust it and upholstery will last longer if it is kept clean.
  • Always clean out your vacuum regularly so that it is working properly.

By ThriftyFun

Do you have any dusting tips? Feel free to post them below.

How about using a ostrich feather duster. It holds the dust in, has a long handle, and are so much fun to use. It does not have to be a chore to dust, and using this duster, it surely is a breeze. When they get too much dust in them, wash them with baby shampoo and water and good as new. I have two or three at home and one at work for my desk and other.

Tip came from

Dust AFTER you have vacuumed (or again after you have vaccumed :-)) to keep your furniture dust free.

Change your air filter as often as recommended.

Clean your ceiling fans quarterly or more often.

I find these really help in keeping the dust down

Because I have allergies, I prefer to dust using Endust, some spray furniture polish - or those lovely Swiffer cloths. They are great for leaving no residue and can be folded so that you use all the available area.

Pamphylia I sure hope you don't have pets in your home with the Swiffer products as they cause seizures in small pets.

Man Dusting End Table
Dusting Your House
Home and Garden Cleaning DustingApril 29, 2008
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Dusting Blinds
Dusting Hard to Reach Places
Firgurine of a woman in a red dress.
Dusting Fragile Figurines
Dusting Wood Furniture
Dusting Wood Furniture