Baby Shower Ideas for a Daughter In-Law

Does anyone have any great ideas about a baby shower? Games, food, decorations - all will be welcome! My daughter in law is having her first baby in May 2008 - I don't have any children myself and this is my step son's wife. I'm going to be a Grandma! I've always wanted to be one! I can't wait! Thanks for all your help and ideas.

A year ago I hosted such a shower for my daughter-in-law.

I purchased a wooden rocking horse and photographed it with toys around it and baby shoes. My son and daughter-in-law are "into" shoes.

I used this photo to make a bookmark invitation and thank you notes (that I gave to the mom to be) and then had it set up the same way the day of the shower as the centerpiece of the room. I designed gift bags with sayings about grandparents and new babies as the people invited were my friends and were all grandparents before me!

We had a luncheon shower in my home and I prepared various salads from chicken to fruit and served with a variety of rolls, all prepared ahead of time, so I could enjoy the fun - of course I had a cake and various drinks.

One game I had was to write a caption about a picture, the picture was of my son looking at his wife to be. Both about the age of 1 year (yes, I borrowed it from her Mom) and put them in a frame together).Everyone got creative and the results were really fun. (Her mom wrote the caption: 'What was my mom thinking when she bought these shoes for me?"

Also I asked everyone to name a song that they'd say described the day. Some were serious and some kinda off the wall but it gave us many smiles. (Memories, Girls Just want to have Fun)

On the back of the bookmark I put the store the baby was registered and this little poem.

A Grandma is someone who puts a sweater on you when SHE is cold, feeds you when SHE is hungry, and lays down with you to nap.. when SHE is tired!

This shower was at 12:30pm and I hosted 24 ladies. They didn't all know each other but the ice was broken early and everyone enjoyed, especially me!

Here are some web sites for you to check out...

http://www.babyshower101.com/

http://www.baby-shower.com/

http://www.babyshowermoments.com/

I can tell you what my daughter did for her grandson's 'birth'day shower. Since they knew it was a boy, it was based on trucks and trains. The centerpieces were aluminum pans about 9" by 6" or even a little bigger. They baked chocolate cakes and when cool, crumpled the cake up into the pans to represent dirt. They bought matchbox and tonka trucks and placed them in the 'dirt'. They found miniature sized road signs, fences, etc., and put them in with the trucks. How many you need depends on the number of tables you have. They found wrapping paper with trucks on them to wrap their packages. They tried to incorporate trucks or truck drivers into at least one game. Game prizrs were $5 gift certificates to Walmart. The winners gave their prize(s) to the mommy to be.

I went to a shower once where they played what I considered to be a funny game. This of course will depend on if your daughter in law has a sense of humor-- but baby showers should be fun-- after all there is nothing predictable about babies.

You would buy a package of newborn diapers and 8-10 different candy bars. Melt a little bit of each candy bar in the microwave and then smear each in a different diaper. Then you pass the diapers around and everyone writes down what they think is "in the diaper". Make sure you number each one and have your master list handy. Smelling is allowed but obviously no tasting. If anything it makes for good picture taking moments watching all these people sniffing diapers.

Another standard game is to buy various baby food jars and remove the labels and have people guess what's in the jar. Make sure you number them. Congrats!

When I had my baby shower I had my daughter

list answers from 10 questions about her new

baby. Due date, names picked, where she and

hubby were born and their birthdates etc. I had

a skein of yarn and everyone took a piece of yarn

that they thought how big my daughter got

with the baby-circumphrance of tummy around.

I had everyone bring $1.00 books instead of cards

for baby. They also had to sign their name.

Check out the sites and then add your own twist. The memory tray game? We did a Mommy memory tray and used items for Mom, not the baby, nice change. After the game, we gave the item to Mom to enjoy. (Lotion, Tylenol, nail polish, face mask, gel eye mask, etc) I bought a large bag of baby socks at a yard sale and ended up using them in a game. We took apart all the baby socks and put them in a basket. Everyone had one minute to pair as many pairs as they could. It was a hit!! People want to enjoy showers again, don't do games that are so old they put everyone to sleep.

Holidays and Parties Parties Baby Shower AdviceSeptember 27, 2007
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Baby Shower Cookies
Baby Shower Favor Ideas
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄