Paint Color Ideas for Kitchen with Hickory Cabinets and Blue Countertops

I would like suggestions for what color to paint my kitchen walls. I have hickory cabinets, country bluish countertops, and the vinyl floor has cream and blue. The adjacent breakfast nook is a light taupe. Would a yellow or reddish color work? Suggestions?

By Sandy from IA

I think yellow or red would be throwing in too many colors, when you think about the adjacent room. I'd be tempted to go with a darker cream/golden tan, assuming it would go with the taupe next door. Or, perhaps go few shaded lighter or darker than the blue in the countertop. Try some of those small color sample jars and paint on a piece of drywall. Put it against the wall and live with it for a few days to see how it fits.

I agree with Allison5, that red or yellow would be adding too many colors to the scheme on the walls. I was also going to suggest cream or a light shade of blue, a blue compatible with the blue in your countertops or floor. Red would be all right for accents, like cookie jars or cannister sets, dish towels, etc. to add some interest to the room, but I believe it would be jarring on the walls. The suggestion to try the sample paints is a great idea, too.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceFebruary 1, 2011
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets