Having Hard Wired Telephone for Power Outages

I know there are lots of folks out there that have cell phones as their basic phone and then others who only have their house phone. If you are among those with a house phone, you may want to consider buying a phone that will allow you to make calls should the power go out. I'm not talking about the phones that are wireless. You need a hard wired phone that is able to dial out. Just because your electricity is out, does not mean your phone will not work if you have a hard wired phone.

Those who have health problems, should really consider this passionately. There are loved ones out there that my need to get in touch with you and a hard wired phone would work wonders. You can get one at a local dollar store for $10.00. This should be a vital part of your emergency tactics.

By Gem from VA

This is such a good thing to post.

Most people do not think about having a power outage which leaves them with no phone. It is especially needed for the elderly, those who do not have access to a vehicle, or who live where neighbors are far away.

This is a really great idea but please check with your local phone company to make sure that the hard wired/jack plugin phone will even work in your area during a power outage before spending the money for one if it's for an emergency. I had the good old fashioned cords only (not hand held) hard wired/jack plugin phones in my last home and when the power went out so did my phone. And of all of the crazy sounding things even water faucets and toilets won't work during a power outage during electric outages in some areas.

Another advantage of a hard wired phone/home phone is that it will work in an emergency when everyone is trying to use their phones at the same time. There was an instance in a nearby city where the cell phone system overloaded and people could not make the calls during the blizzard because everyone was trying to phone at the same time.

I tried to use my hard wired phone (which is usually kept unplugged on a shelf) when the power was out and it didn't work - and then I discovered we have to unplug all of the cordless phones -and then the hard wired one worked!

I love my landline phone, but if AT&T and big business have their way, landlines may become extinct soon. State by state, they're trying to increase the cost of a landline and get rid of small phone companies that often provide rural landline service.

If you love your landline, check with your state elected officials to see if there are plans in your state for all-wireless phone service in the future.

AT&T and its big friends say landlines are old-fashioned and too expensive to maintain.

If they hear from enough customers, they may listen.

Wow Deeli, I didn't know that some corded phones & water didn't work when the power went out! I know my mom's water doesn't, but she's on well water! I guess we've been lucky, our corded phone has always worked when our electric was out & we've had neighbors who had to use our phone because all they had was cordless. We had a major ice storm a few years back & some people were out of power for a couple of weeks-with no way to use their phones! Makes you appreciate the 'olden ways'.

The only caveat I'd offer... when we switched to Time-Warner this past March, we were warned that the phone wouldn't work in case of a power outage. Thank God for hubby's SafeLink cell phone! Although we had to use A T & T's 411 service to call the electric company, we were able to report the outage. Even our standard corded phone, connected to our TWC system via standard jack, was useless.

Home and Garden Emergency PreparationMay 5, 2011
Power Outage Supplies
Preparing for a Power Outage
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
flashlight in the dark
Emergency Lighting for Power Outages
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out