HealthDogs

My Pet Chihuahua is Throwing Up Intermittently

My Chihuahua seems to be throwing up since last night. Not a lot, but twice, and after this he starts to pant and then it seems to go away. Then he seems fine, but it comes and goes. What can this be? I don't have any funds to take him to the vet.

By Irmie from Los Angeles, CA

Have you taken the dog's temperature? Is the dog drinking much water as it needs to stay hydrated; to help this along, you can get Pedialyte and look on the 'net for the correct dosage to give. Please call your dog's vet as there may be something very wrong and you can prevent the problem from getting worse.

Dogs pant because they are in pain; please see a vet.

I would watch the dog closely for 24 hours. Animals vomit for different reasons (and sometimes the same) than humans. It can be hard to tell why they are vomiting. Look for other reasons she is feeling bad. Is he still eating? Is he resting a lot? Does he have a temperature? If the vomiting doesn't stop in 24 hours, or you see other symptoms, consider finding a Vet that will take monthly payments. Many of them do now. I hope it turns out to be nothing. Remember to set aside a small amount of money each month so you have some when you need to see a Vet. It is very unusual to have a pet that never needs to see a Vet. Good luck with you dog.

It sounds like your dog may have something stuck in it's throat or digestive tract. The vomitting moves it and the dog pants to get air....it's like us taking a deep breath. Take it to the vet! Call your local pet rescue shelter and ask if they have a vet on premises, as well as your local vet. training college. They are usually less expensive.

Dear Irmie...

Please take her to the Veterinarian. Throwing up is serious. If she is not keeping any food down, she is not maintaining a healthy weight. She could have an obstruction if her food is not staying down. Take her ASAP ! Good luck.

I had a puppy that did the same thing. I turned out that her intestine was folded over and she would have died without help. I agree with earlier suggestions for low-cost care.

Thank you all for your responses. Glad to tell you all spot is doing fine. He is his old self again. He ate something that did not agree with him (although I do not know what that is). He is no longer panting or vomiting. Happy dog again. :-)

Hope you all have an Awesome day and thanks again for your help!