Sore Throat Since Quitting Smoking

I haven't had a fag for three weeks but I have had a sore throat since I quit. It started at the end of the 1st week.

By vkkred from Guisbro, UK

Hey, congratulations on quitting! I don't know about the sore throat, though. My dad quit about 20 years ago, and I don't remember him complaining about having a sore throat. I think your doctor could help determine whether this is related to quitting smoking, or something separate. Best of luck with the smoke-free life. keep strong!

I think your sore throat may be happening because your body is detoxing. When I quite smoking (for the 50th time), my hair was disgusting. Greasy and limp.

I would go see your doctor though. I've never heard of getting a sore through when you quit smoking. It's usually the opposite; when you start smoking, your body rebels and given you a sore throat.

I was going to suggest an herbal tea for sore throats taken with honey. Here in the US and I'm sure in your country you can buy this at a health food store. I've bought it in my grocery store. Can't remember the manufacturer though, sorry. I think it's called throat soother or something like that. I'd check out Celestial Seasonings tea selections. I know they have one to help you sleep and feel sure they have one for throats.

But again, before you do anything, see your doctor. I smoke and had a 'thing' growing in my mouth and I went to my dermatologist who biopsied it - thank got it came back negative. I went to a derm because I though they'd be most familiar with mouth cancer.

Good luck and good for you for quitting! Wish I had the willpower to quit - it would be for the 51st time!!

Congratulations on quitting! I quit a few years ago and felt horrible for the first month or so. I had a sore throat, nausea, and it seemed like every joint in my body hurt.

I agree with the person that suggested hot tea. I would also add that maybe a warm salt water gargle would help. On a psychological level, maybe you could take some of the money you've saved on cigarettes and buy yourself a little treat?

Congratulations again and I hope you feel much better soon.

Good for you! but yes, you may have a sore throat.Ii had a killer of a cold when I stopped. I think its just your body getting rid of junk that you may have accumulated with the fags. No harm in seeing a doctor, though. I see you live in the UK. Why not visit Holland and Barret and see if they have something soothing for your throat in the meantime? And they will know which ones are the best for you whereas buying something like twinings herbal teas wont give the specific information that you need to make a good choice. Good luck!

3 weeks seems like a long time when your quitting something like smoking, but really its not very long. Gargle with salt water and drink lots of water. Dont forget your body is ridding itself of toxins.

Have you considered that maybe the sore throat isnt connected to the quitting smoking? Maybe you have a sore throat.

You will have that sore throat or raw throat for a while, and clearing of the throat too, but good for you for quitting, hang in there it is all worth it and it will go away.

I have been smoke free for almost 7 years now and the first few months it was rough but I'm so very glad that I did it. No more annoying coughing all the time, no more weezing at night where I cannot fall asleep, and no more smelling like a dirty filthy ashtray.

I have apologized to everyone I know for having to put them through that smell all the years I forced them to put up with the smell. I work with smokers and it is so annoying when they all are coughing and after they come in from smoking they reek. I don't want to be that guy that is a "former smoker" but it is very offensive to me.

I believe that you have every right to smoke and no one should ever tell you that you can't, but you also responsible to think about the others that are around you that your smoking effects and offends.

Quit Smoking
Quitting Smoking
Health & Beauty AdviceJanuary 26, 2010
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
A woman breaking a cigarette in half.
Coping With the Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal