Dealing With a Sore Throat and an Ear Ache

Category Home Remedies
Infections can often result in you having a sore throat and ear ache at the same time. This is a guide about dealing with a sore throat and ear ache.

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey and chloraseptic but it still hurts.

peggygv

Answers

I always have bad allergies and constantly have to fight off sinus infections. When I do get them, I use a Netty Pot with a couple of drops of vinegar in the solution. Actually, I use the squirt bottle kind because it seems to get up in there better.

I really am not a fan of using antibiotics unless I really have to since it seems to exacerbate sinus problems for me. There are other strong, temporary allergy things out there that your doctor can give you for a sinus infection that won't throw off the microbial balance in your body, usually a type of steroid. Not to mention that a sinus infection is caused by fungus, not by bacteria.

Before I resort to prescriptions, I try to drink a ton of water, cut off all caffeines and sodas, and drink as much fresh ginger root tea as I can stand. Ginger is an anti inflammatory. If you really just don't like ginger, try a zinc supplement as an inflammatory.

Pseudophed and claritin are also a great help just to get the junk out, and I use a prescription of nasonex all the time as a preventative measure.

I have found one of the most helpful cures, besides being well hydrated, is "popping" my ears. My doctor taught me this. You close your throat, close your mouth, plug your nose, and sort of "blow" gently so that an air bubble travels up your eustachian tubes. You have to be careful with this when you're ears are already swollen, but the added pressure of the air should help press fluid down your tubes and out where it can drain. I can never do it if I'm lying down, and it also doesn't drain as well in this position. Then you can yawn to open up your tubes, or to give it a little more wallop, chew a piece of gum. I try to pop my ears everyday whether I have an infection or not just to keep the works clear.

As for just pain, I'd use ibuprofen. I hope this helps.

Edit: My bad. A sinus infection can be caused by either bacteria or fungus. But I still say antibiotics are an absolute last resort.

I'm going on holiday in two days time and have a sore throat and ear ache. I looked on this site and great feedback from people I have drank my ginger tea with honey in it and poured sweet oil in my ear recommended from people on here and it seems to have eased it a lot. I'm also taking the advice of 2 garlic cloves and 500mils water. Good job. I'm not socializing tomorrow! Pain killers, which I'm not looking forward to but will keep you updated.

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor, but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey, and Chloraseptic, but it still hurts.

Peggygv

Feedback:

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had something similar and I tried a lemon with a little salt for my throat. For my ear I dampened a small towel and placed in the microwave for 15 seconds and placed it against my ear. Both helped with the pain. (02/15/2008)

By Patricia

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

My throat was hurting so bad, I couldn't swallow. The pain was on the side of my neck radiating up my ears. It started as a scratchy throat, then I had post nasal drip that irritated the back of my throat. Yellow discharge and sometimes with a tinge of blood started coming out when I coughed.

Green tea as warm as I could tolerate relieved the pain. I also took a shower and had the hot water hit the back of my throat. Then I warmed up a glass of water with 1 teaspoon of salt and gargled with it.

For the pain and swelling I took 400 mg of Ibuprofen and 425 mg of Tylenol for my fever. After a few hours I ate a slice of ice cream cake and drank a glass of ice cold water. My doctor prescribed liquid lidocaine for me to gargle if I cannot eat or swallow, but I haven't used that yet. Before I go to bed, I will warm up an aroma therapy pillow and put it around my neck. (02/23/2008)

By Vangie

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

For the relief of a sore throat chew gum. I read this on an internet site some time ago and it works a treat. It keeps your throat moist and helps you cope with the soreness. (03/03/2008)

By Sheila B.

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

So here's what worked for me (but these may not be readily available in the everyday pantry): Ginseng powder (1/2 tsp) + quarter-sized rock sugar (I'm sure honey would work, but I didn't have any at the time) + 1 cup hot water. Stir. Drink. Instant relief - no joke.

If you don't know where to find this stuff, it's at any local Asian market (ask for the Korean ginseng powder specially ground for tea). It's like echinacea and zinc on steroids. Good luck and sore throat be gone, already. (04/01/2008)

By kpw

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I am dealing with the same thing. I haven't been able to sleep. I got about two and a half hours of sleep total last night because the pain kept waking me. The best thing I've found so far for my throat was to drink a cup of hot peppermint tea with some honey it. The peppermint also settles your stomach if you have a sinus drip that is upsetting it. Also, I have these drops called Cepacol. They are sore throat drop with benzocaine and menthol in them to numb your throat.

When I wake up at night I drink my cup of tea and then have a Cepacol and I can usually fall back asleep for a while. I've also been keeping up on taking Aleve for the pain. I hope that helps. (04/11/2008)

By LeAnn

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Go to Whole Foods and get a remedy (little sugar pellets) called belladona it helps a lot with ear ache. Another one is called Ferrum Phos 6X helps with both ear and throat and fever. Take as described on bottle. (06/07/2008)

By DeeDee

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I found that Thera Flu for sore throat really worked well. Give it a try. (10/04/2008)

By Mi Mi

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Jello seems to give me temp relief, when I want something to drink and can't sleep.

(11/18/2008)

By Another Sore Throat

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try a Neti pot. Google it. Vermont Country Store sells it. (12/04/2008)

By kibby

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

If you don't have insurance try the minute clinic at CVS. Only $59 for a complete diagnosis and they will write a prescription if needed. I've had mine for 3 weeks and starting to take azithromycin. Hope it works. (12/28/2008)

By chucksmech

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had the same thing for over three months and antibiotics were not helping. The doctor finally told me to try using garlic. I ate 5 cloves of garlic every night and washed it down with a large glass of water. The taste was horrible, but it only took four days for the pain to go away completely and after the seventh I was cured. (02/02/2009)

By MikeR.

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I too have suffered from the sore throat and ear ache syndrome. I read a lot of the posts and when I got to the one about stomach acid, bingo. I put two and two together and sure enough the two nights before the pain really hit I had heartburn before I went to bed. I bought the Prilosec OTC 14 day treatment and it is working. I still have a tinge of the ear issue, but I am sure that is because it hurt so darn bad with the acid backing up in my throat. Good luck. (07/24/2009)

By Grannysgiftstore

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I suffer from sore tonsils and fever during winter and my remedy works for me.

(09/26/2009)

By Dorty

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Gargling with freshly squeezed lemon juice does help. Ginger tea also helps. (09/26/2009)

By Dorty

peggygv

Answers:

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Yeah, those things are painful. Been there, done that. People don't realize how bad the sore throat pain can be, unless they've experienced it.

For me, plain old Tylenol or Ibuprofen works wonders on it. Of course, it depends on what you're able to take, and what else you're taking, so check with your doctor or pharmacist.

I've also found that an OTC sinus med, such as Sudafed Sinus or a store brand, works if I start taking it just as soon as I have the slightest symptom. That has saved me a lot of suffering in the past few years.

Don't talk if you can help it! Use sign language. I hope you're feeling better very soon. (03/26/2005)

By Patti

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I just fought a bout with the Severe Sore Throat by drinking Hot Honey Lemon Tea around the clock. The combo of the heat, honey and lemon did wonders for soothing the pain in my throat. For an ear ache, I always use Sweet Oil drops. (03/27/2005)

By forgetmenotaromas

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

As weird as it sounds, gargle with apple cidar vinegar (mix with honey if you can't stand the taste). It's awful, but works! (03/27/2005)

By bev

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

At the very first sign of a sore throat, start taking this stuff in the Cough and Cold section at the store called "Airborne". I've prevented my children from getting sick all winter by having them take this (and has worked for me too) at the first signs of a sore throat. It works great and is all natural herbs - nothing synthetic. (03/29/2005)

By Teresa Shearer

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Warm salt in a sock. You can warm salt in a microwave or in a saucepan on stove or maybe in the oven. Pour the salt in a sock (Maybe two socks) then hold to your ear. I've also used a heating pad. For sore throat I like honey and apple cider vinegar in hot water. (03/31/2005)

By Christy

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

A hot water bottle under a pillow works miracles for pain. Keep taking your meds, but heat feels good, I think. (02/04/2007)

By phoenix

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Boil a small amount of Ginger in about 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the juice of 1 fresh Lemon. Stir in about a tablespoon of honey until melted. Preferably, drink this while you sit in a hot bath, or if not in a bath, then you should feel yourself start sweating as you drink. (07/17/2007)

By Tony

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I have been having sinus headaches, too. I deal with them by using spraying saline solution up my nose - I also use sinus remedies with pseudo-ephedrine + ibuprofen or Tylenol (there are lots of different ones.)

Be careful of using the drying meds too much, as they can dry the nasal tissues and create counter-irritation! Use heating pads to relieve tension and pressure and help it drain. I also use a neck massager for the tension in my neck muscles. I take lots of extra vitamin C and Wellness formula to help my immune system.

Gargling with hot salt water (as hot as you can stand it) several times a day &/or hydrogen peroxide helps the sore throat. Also throat drips (I like Ricola) and drink lots of hot tea with lemon & honey! (07/17/2007)

By pamphyila

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Yesterday, I could hardly swallow and my ears were starting to ache. Our company doctor prescribed Klaricid (Clarithromycin) 250 mg to be take twice daily (this is to be taken for 1 week). I have also been taking Bisolvon Mucolytic (adult) because of my nasal drip (which I think caused the swollen throat). And for those who really have swollen throats, try gargling Bactidol (Hexetidine) by Pfizer. I gargled this every hour (and it worked!).

The latter helped ease my throat last night (and I was able to sleep well after 4 days of no sleep because of my nasal drip and sore throat). (11/22/2007)

By Manila

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

If you are only having swelling on one side of your throat, and the ear on the corresponding side as the swelling hurts, chances are you have an abscess inside your tonsil. I was afflicted with this for a long time and i didn't know what was wrong. I could hardly swallow my spit or talk (I sounded so bad, one of the nurses actually thought i was deaf or something). I became dehydrated and my head hurt so bad I couldn't sleep at night.

I finally found a doctor who knew what the problem was (before that they kept telling me it was viral and i just had to wait it out), and we had the abscess drained that night. I was back to normal in a day, however, I will have to have my tonsils out sometime within the year. Good luck and I hope this helps. (12/16/2007)

By Bill

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Ditto everyone! Except it's toward my left side instead of my right. This may seem like strep throat but it isn't. It's a sinus infection. Went to a walk-in clinic about two hours ago (Urgent Care some people call it) and they said I have a sinus infection. It's been going around. Go to the doctors and get the meds. Gargle salt water or Listerine like crazy and swallow some spoonfuls of honey. (01/09/2008)

By Annie

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hey guys, I ran across this page when I was having the same problem a few days ago. Terrible sore throat with an ear ache on the same side. When ever I swallowed I felt massive pain from my right tonsil to my right ear. I remembered that I had some problems with ear wax blocking my ear canal a few days earlier, so I guessed that might have something to do with it.

The solution I came up with was to treat it like an ear infection and (b)put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and water in my ear(/b) (mostly hydrogen peroxide, like 2:1). I let that stuff bubble for a few minutes, and it took a while to drain because I obviously had a lot of wax blocking stuff up in there. Almost instantly my ear (i)and(/i) throat felt a lot better! I repeated the process a couple more times at night, and by the next day I was fine!(01/18/2008)

By Ben

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I've had this same stuff for almost a week now. The only thing I have found to take the edge off of the pain (ear, throat, head & muscle) is Alka-Seltzer Plus cold medicine -- the tablets you dissolve in water. Not especially tasty, but it has REALLY helped me; hope it helps others. This bug is really wicked! (01/21/2008)

By sheck

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try getting some over the counter earache drops. Irrigate your ear and put some of the drops in. It feels a lot better. (02/01/2008)

By Brandy