Dealing With a Sore Throat and an Ear Ache

Category Home Remedies
Infections can often result in you having a sore throat and ear ache at the same time. This is a guide about dealing with a sore throat and ear ache.

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey and chloraseptic but it still hurts.

peggygv

Answers

I always have bad allergies and constantly have to fight off sinus infections. When I do get them, I use a Netty Pot with a couple of drops of vinegar in the solution. Actually, I use the squirt bottle kind because it seems to get up in there better.

I really am not a fan of using antibiotics unless I really have to since it seems to exacerbate sinus problems for me. There are other strong, temporary allergy things out there that your doctor can give you for a sinus infection that won't throw off the microbial balance in your body, usually a type of steroid. Not to mention that a sinus infection is caused by fungus, not by bacteria.

Before I resort to prescriptions, I try to drink a ton of water, cut off all caffeines and sodas, and drink as much fresh ginger root tea as I can stand. Ginger is an anti inflammatory. If you really just don't like ginger, try a zinc supplement as an inflammatory.

Pseudophed and claritin are also a great help just to get the junk out, and I use a prescription of nasonex all the time as a preventative measure.

I have found one of the most helpful cures, besides being well hydrated, is "popping" my ears. My doctor taught me this. You close your throat, close your mouth, plug your nose, and sort of "blow" gently so that an air bubble travels up your eustachian tubes. You have to be careful with this when you're ears are already swollen, but the added pressure of the air should help press fluid down your tubes and out where it can drain. I can never do it if I'm lying down, and it also doesn't drain as well in this position. Then you can yawn to open up your tubes, or to give it a little more wallop, chew a piece of gum. I try to pop my ears everyday whether I have an infection or not just to keep the works clear.

As for just pain, I'd use ibuprofen. I hope this helps.

Edit: My bad. A sinus infection can be caused by either bacteria or fungus. But I still say antibiotics are an absolute last resort.

I'm going on holiday in two days time and have a sore throat and ear ache. I looked on this site and great feedback from people I have drank my ginger tea with honey in it and poured sweet oil in my ear recommended from people on here and it seems to have eased it a lot. I'm also taking the advice of 2 garlic cloves and 500mils water. Good job. I'm not socializing tomorrow! Pain killers, which I'm not looking forward to but will keep you updated.

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor, but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey, and Chloraseptic, but it still hurts.

Peggygv

Feedback:

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had something similar and I tried a lemon with a little salt for my throat. For my ear I dampened a small towel and placed in the microwave for 15 seconds and placed it against my ear. Both helped with the pain. (02/15/2008)

By Patricia

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

My throat was hurting so bad, I couldn't swallow. The pain was on the side of my neck radiating up my ears. It started as a scratchy throat, then I had post nasal drip that irritated the back of my throat. Yellow discharge and sometimes with a tinge of blood started coming out when I coughed.

Green tea as warm as I could tolerate relieved the pain. I also took a shower and had the hot water hit the back of my throat. Then I warmed up a glass of water with 1 teaspoon of salt and gargled with it.

For the pain and swelling I took 400 mg of Ibuprofen and 425 mg of Tylenol for my fever. After a few hours I ate a slice of ice cream cake and drank a glass of ice cold water. My doctor prescribed liquid lidocaine for me to gargle if I cannot eat or swallow, but I haven't used that yet. Before I go to bed, I will warm up an aroma therapy pillow and put it around my neck. (02/23/2008)

By Vangie

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

For the relief of a sore throat chew gum. I read this on an internet site some time ago and it works a treat. It keeps your throat moist and helps you cope with the soreness. (03/03/2008)

By Sheila B.

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

So here's what worked for me (but these may not be readily available in the everyday pantry): Ginseng powder (1/2 tsp) + quarter-sized rock sugar (I'm sure honey would work, but I didn't have any at the time) + 1 cup hot water. Stir. Drink. Instant relief - no joke.

If you don't know where to find this stuff, it's at any local Asian market (ask for the Korean ginseng powder specially ground for tea). It's like echinacea and zinc on steroids. Good luck and sore throat be gone, already. (04/01/2008)

By kpw

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I am dealing with the same thing. I haven't been able to sleep. I got about two and a half hours of sleep total last night because the pain kept waking me. The best thing I've found so far for my throat was to drink a cup of hot peppermint tea with some honey it. The peppermint also settles your stomach if you have a sinus drip that is upsetting it. Also, I have these drops called Cepacol. They are sore throat drop with benzocaine and menthol in them to numb your throat.

When I wake up at night I drink my cup of tea and then have a Cepacol and I can usually fall back asleep for a while. I've also been keeping up on taking Aleve for the pain. I hope that helps. (04/11/2008)

By LeAnn

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Go to Whole Foods and get a remedy (little sugar pellets) called belladona it helps a lot with ear ache. Another one is called Ferrum Phos 6X helps with both ear and throat and fever. Take as described on bottle. (06/07/2008)

By DeeDee

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I found that Thera Flu for sore throat really worked well. Give it a try. (10/04/2008)

By Mi Mi

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Jello seems to give me temp relief, when I want something to drink and can't sleep.

(11/18/2008)

By Another Sore Throat

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try a Neti pot. Google it. Vermont Country Store sells it. (12/04/2008)

By Vickie Kibellus

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

If you don't have insurance try the minute clinic at CVS. Only $59 for a complete diagnosis and they will write a prescription if needed. I've had mine for 3 weeks and starting to take azithromycin. Hope it works. (12/28/2008)

By Chuck

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had the same thing for over three months and antibiotics were not helping. The doctor finally told me to try using garlic. I ate 5 cloves of garlic every night and washed it down with a large glass of water. The taste was horrible, but it only took four days for the pain to go away completely and after the seventh I was cured. (02/02/2009)

By Mike

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I too have suffered from the sore throat and ear ache syndrome. I read a lot of the posts and when I got to the one about stomach acid, bingo. I put two and two together and sure enough the two nights before the pain really hit I had heartburn before I went to bed. I bought the Prilosec OTC 14 day treatment and it is working. I still have a tinge of the ear issue, but I am sure that is because it hurt so darn bad with the acid backing up in my throat. Good luck. (07/24/2009)

By Pamela

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I suffer from sore tonsils and fever during winter and my remedy works for me.

(09/26/2009)

By Dorothy

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Gargling with freshly squeezed lemon juice does help. Ginger tea also helps. (09/26/2009)

By Dorothy

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache.