Why isn't my grass growing?

I need some help with my new lawn if anyone could help me. 10 days ago I decided to redo my lawn. I layed screened rich top soil down and then seeded with Perennail Rye grass seed. Prior to seeding I broadcasted a fertilizer which was rated 7-7-7. After the fertilizer I put the seed down (very liberally) and then I rolled it.

I have water continually and have attempted to keep the soil moist. As I say its been 10 days since I have planted seed and to date there is no visible signs of germination.

What could I have done wrong?

Chris from Ontario, Canada

Be sure that birds JUST LOVE grass seed. It may be that it all got eaten, if you have birds like pigeons etc. around your house. Also am not sure you should have rolled it, it may have crushed the seed.You don't mention if you put any soil over the seed. Usually, a thin layer of soil over the seed is needed to help germination.

It might not be constantly warm enough yet where you are. I just put down seed in my yard and was told to wait until the temperature stayed above 65 degrees most of the time.

Check the germination time, some seed takes longer.

I don't know how starter fertilizer is rated - but was it starter fertilizer you used? If you used regular fertilizer with a weed blocker, it will prevent your seed from germinating.

Chris:

I too planted seed 2 weeks ago. I was starting to get discouraged believing I did something wrong. I noticed it is now starting to sprout in very small amounts. If you kneel down and run your hand over the top, you will probably feel the grass though you can't see it. I think its just because the soil isn't warm enough yet for quick growth.

Paula in Nova Scotia

Home and Garden Gardening LawnMay 15, 2007
Dogs Eating Grass
Dogs Eating Grass
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Johnson Grass
Getting Rid of Johnson Grass
Grass Growing in Pavement Cracks
Solutions for Grass Growing in Pavement Cracks
🎄