Dogs Eating Grass

Dogs Eating Grass
Many pet owners have observed their dog munching on grass and wondered why. This is a guide about dogs eating grass.

Is a dog eating grass a sign of worms?

By Penny S. from Portland

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have heard that it is, and that the dog needs to throw up, but can't, and that is why they eat grass. I have watched mine eat grass, and they don't throw up after, and don't dry heave either. I worm them regularly as a prevention, so I am pretty sure it isn't that. They just eat and swallow the grass, usually the mid length, dark green ones, the same ones I have seen our turkeys and chickens eat. I am just assuming that they like to eat it every once in a while.

My dogs eat grass and they absolutely don't have worms. I've heard that it's just a natural digestive aid for them.

I don,t know how true it is but I remember reading an article somewhere that both dogs and cats eat grass just because they like it.

I asked the tech at my vets office and he couldn't give me an answer. I don't think anyone knows except the dog himself.

I think this is nature's remedy for constipation and indigestion for dogs and cats alike. Both, my dogs and my cat do this. The cat will usually hack up a furball not long after he eats grass. The dogs will usually vomit a short while after ingesting the grass. The grass provides fiber for the animals.

Thanks for comments and feedback. I have him scheduled at the Vet's soon and I'll find out then! He's also going to get a tooth cleaning.

I read that a dog or cat eats grass because it has to "clear" it's throat. My lab has phlegm because of allergies which causes her nose to drip down the back of her throat. She eats grass, coughs up the phlegm and goes on her way.

My brother has a dog that eats grass all the time. My thought is it is trying to get some kind of nutrient that is not in it's diet. Does anyone have any input on this?

By Suntydt from Tzewell, TN

It's an old wives tale that dogs eat grass when they're sick. Dogs just DO that. I think all my dogs have eaten grass at some time or other. The two that I have now LOVE fresh spring grass and eat their fill. Then they'll run and play and roll in it. I guess that's dog for "playing with your food."

I have 2 pits and only 1 of them eats grass all the time. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it. As long as it does not ruin the yard or make the dog sick, just let him have his fill.

My puppy has been regurgitating a lot after eating grass from the backyard. What should I do or is this a sign of parvo? Please help.

Darsheena

Don't worry about it. Most dogs and cats eat grass to help themselves throw up/calm their stomachs. I think of it as Stomach Medicine for animals...

Unless you use pesticides on your lawn frequently, or have recently put down lawn feeders/weed killers don't fret.

No, very normal in dogs & cats. Sometimes it comes out on the other end...and SOON! And sometimes they keep it in their tummies. I have read some like it like we like salads. But they DO do this sometimes if their tummy is upset. It is GOOD for them...lots of good stuff in grass. The other person was right, NO chemicals on the grass.

Just to be safe, ask your vet!