Jelly Is Too Thin

My jelly is too thin, can I recook it? If so, how?

lil lavorato from Lakeside, Ca

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

You may have used incorrect measure of juice. Try adding another box of SureJell and recook. IF it doesn't work, it will make a great sauce poured over vanilla ice cream.

I made a batch of blackberry jelly using he NO COOK SureJell and it turned out runny after freezing and unthawing. Sure was tasty over our ice cream though. I liked this "flop".

Best Answer

You should find directions for recooking the jelly, if you decide to do that, on the directions that came with the pectin. My brand, Certo, which is sold here in Canada, has directions for recooking your jam or jelly. There is also a website and a toll-free number. Check out your pectin box for this.

Best Answer

My chokecherry jelly does that sometimes too. Just empty the jars into a large pot,

wash and sterilize jars again. Add a box of pectin to the jelly and bring to a boil, boil one minute and pour back into jars and seal.

It is the same procedure as you first made the jelly, but you do not add any more sugar.

Yes, you can recook it and add more pectin. What kind of jelly is it? That would help us to know what advice to give too.

I have made jelly in the past that has taken a month to set, so if you haven't waited that long, give it a little time before you do anything else, if I am in time for that.

Mine turned out runny this year as well, AND I DID add more pectin this time, remembering what I had read previously and it still didn't take yet, so I am waiting it out.

Years ago when I use to make jelly, I had a batch that did not set up. My little girl said "Mommy look you made a bad batch of jelly". I looked at her and smiled saying "No honey, I made syrup." My family never knew my jelly didn't set up. But it was sure good over the pancakes and waffles.

Making strawberry jelly.
Jelly Not Setting
Food and Recipes Canning Jam and JellySeptember 2, 2008
Homemade Jelly (Puffy Paint) Accessories
A photo of homemade jelly.
Fixing Jelly That Set Too Hard
An apricot cut in half.
Peeling Apricots
Weak and Thin Fingernails
Remedies for Weak and Thin Fingernails
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 8:38:26 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.