Jelly Not Setting

Category Food Fixes
Determining why your preserve is not setting up, and if you can fix it is the goal. This guide is about jelly not setting.

My jelly is too thin, can I recook it? If so, how?

lil lavorato from Lakeside, Ca

Answers

Best Answer

You may have used incorrect measure of juice. Try adding another box of SureJell and recook. IF it doesn't work, it will make a great sauce poured over vanilla ice cream.

I made a batch of blackberry jelly using he NO COOK SureJell and it turned out runny after freezing and unthawing. Sure was tasty over our ice cream though. I liked this "flop".

Best Answer

You should find directions for recooking the jelly, if you decide to do that, on the directions that came with the pectin. My brand, Certo, which is sold here in Canada, has directions for recooking your jam or jelly. There is also a website and a toll-free number. Check out your pectin box for this.

Best Answer

My chokecherry jelly does that sometimes too. Just empty the jars into a large pot,

wash and sterilize jars again. Add a box of pectin to the jelly and bring to a boil, boil one minute and pour back into jars and seal.
It is the same procedure as you first made the jelly, but you do not add any more sugar.

I am making Apple Jelly. It will not set, I have not had this problem before. It was boiling for over 30 minutes.

Margaret

Answers

Best Answer

Some of my jelly didn't get thick enough this summer. When I open a jar I stir in a small amount of Instant Clear Jell which I bought at a local bulk food store.

Best Answer

I just went through a nightmare! I made 4 different batches using different pectins. I then found out that because I was using juice that was my problem. Apples only have natural pectin in the core and peels, so using juice makes it difficult to get it to jell properly. Adding lemon juice helps. I have yet another batch that I plan to experiment with tomorrow.

I will never attempt jelly from juice again, Its always best to cook apples (core and all) down and use the juice from that.

I did three batches of grape jelly, the first is syrup like. For the second and third I used more pectin and they didn't set either. Now what to do?

By Dianne

Answers

Making jelly can be tricky; you have to follow directions exactly, you can't double most recipes, and the fruit must be ripe. Old pectin will not allow the jelly to set properly either. I just keep making it -practice makes perfect. When mine doesn't set, I often recook it with more pectin or I'll use it as a syrup for pancakes and waffles, over ice cream or plain cake, or use it like lemonade syrup for a drink.

You can also use it to flavor ginger ale, over snow cones, or in homemade popsicles. Sometimes I add it to smoothies or add plain gelatin to make jello. When mine is too thick, I mash it with a fork and use it in homemade muffins, for filling in a cookie recipe, or just add a chunk to our morning smoothie before pureeing the fruit.

I have about 10 cups of juice from my apple jelly that will not set. How much "no sugar added" pectin should I add to get it to firm up? When I was making the jelly I used a package of pectin to 5 cups of juice, but it would not gel.

By Mike

I made my 1st batch of wild grape jelly today. The recipe called for 3 cups sugar to 4 cups juice. I had 24 cups of juice so I added 18 cups of sugar. After over 2 hours boiling and stirring it finally started sheeting off the spoon. I was told that it possibly would take that long. I put it into jars and processed for 20 minutes. I put about 1/4 cup in the refrigerator. It's like syrup. Will it all be like that? I really wanted jelly. Is there anything I can do?

Dora Jarvis