Uses for Styrofoam Meat Trays

winner.jpgI found another use for styrofoam meat trays! I needed a nice surface to put a hot pizza on that wouldn't heat up the counter top.
pizza sitting on bottom of Styrofoam container

These are invaluable for all kinds of things, but a hot pad was the one I thought was the most useful at the time. They are also great for under planters, draining bacon and sausage on with a paper towel or two, spoon and utensil rests when making multiple meals, and so much more.

N-JOY!

Source: My own need to keep the counters safe and clean.

By Poor But Proud from Salem OR

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I have talked to several butchers about reusing the plastic meat trays and they all told me the same thing, do not use for anything. The bacteria will remain in these containers even if you bleach them out.

My son is a meat cutter and he says do not reuse them trays for food even after you wash and bleach them. If you feel you need to use them ask your local meat cutter if you can buy some new ones.

I like your ideas, PoorButProud :-) As for using the meat trays for pizza cooling or other hot food items resting on them, it seems to me the bacteria issue is easily rectified by placing foil on it first ;-) It's hard to tell in the picture but it appears the original cardboard round is under the pizza and I think that would probably be safe, too :-)

You may want to think twice about using styrofoam for any food you may consume that is hot or otherwise heated. I have a friend who is a MD and she highly advises not using styrofoam for anything that causes the styrofoam to get hot, as it leaches out toxins when heated and has been questioned to have health concerns. I never use styrofoam to heat anything in the microwave.

I treat my two cats, Mr Muffin Man and Klein Katjie, to yoghurt once a week. I use the styrofoam trays from vegetables and fruit for this and then just throw them away. But trays that had raw meat on them? I just throw them sway once I've used the meat; too afraid of bacteria.

Ok everyone. I get it. You don't want to use these trays for food. However, most of the things I was suggesting was non food, and I am not that afraid of meat that was on three layers of plastic and just put in the tray that morning.

I did suggest many things that they can be used for and if you notice, they are upside down. The bottoms can't be dangerous can they?

I put on here that I use an art sponge for an exfoliater, and one person sent in a response that was literally 21 paragraphs long!

I don't even know how this all got started, as I didn't request anything. But, I hope if anyone else responds, it's with some "NONE FOOD" ideas, please. Poor But Proud

Do not ever use those trays. You can get salmonella poisoning. If you want to recycle Styrofoam trays use the ones that you get veggies or other food products in instead. Please throw away the meat trays. I know it is hard for us green people but we do have to think about our health as well as the health of others around us. Peace!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Black styrofoam meat tray against a white background
Uses for Styrofoam Meat Trays
Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 29, 2009
Styrofoam Ice Chest
Crafts Using Styrofoam Ice Chests
Styrofoam Packing Peanuts
Recycling Styrofoam
TV Dinner Tray
Buying TV Dinner Trays
Styrofoam Cooler
Uses for Styrofoam Coolers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 15, 2016 at 4:04:14 PM on 10.0.2.189 in 638 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.