Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I have always had problems with muscle spasms even as a child, but they have gotten worse in the past year. If I have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom and don't, I immediately go into extreme muscle spasms in both of my legs. I eat bananas, but am not much of a water drinker. If there is anything that I can do to help me get a good nights sleep I would appreciate it.

By Sue from Raleigh, NC

I know the feeling well. I tried eating bananas for added potassium, drinking more "water" to hydrate and also learned high blood pressure can bring on painful leg spasms. These spasms cramps the feet and toes. In your case, it's been since you were a child. I would suggest having your blood checked for a possible cause after consulting with your doctor.

Hi,

I would get them in my legs when I would stretch them during the night. I asked a doctor and he told me it was due to dehydration. I keep a glass of water on my nightstand and try not to stretch my legs. They are annoying and uncomfortable and I have to jump out of bed to relieve the spasm. They sure do disrupt your sleep.

My Dad used to get them terribly and his doctor told him to take quinine pills. You can get them at the pharmacy without a prescription, just ask the pharamist. They worked wonders for him. You might also want to check with your doctor first. Good luck to you.

Our family recipe is eat more Marmite, hope it helps you too.And that you are a lover not a hater!

My doctor has recommended a glass of warm milk(not a fan of it plain so add cinnamon and a dash of sugar) just before bed. It has worked wonders for me as he said it may be a lack of calcium.

Drink pickle juice! My husband gets these really bad leg cramps and he learned that as soon as he gets them he drinks a little bit of pickle juice and it takes them right away! My brother in law tried it too and it worked for him!

Pickle juice either sweet or dill which ever you perfer...and you only need to drink about 2 ounces (try a Nyquil or Pepto Bismol size cup) and they will calm right down.

Drink tonic water with quinine.

I used to have bad cramps at night in my lower leg and ankle and foot, sometimes to the point of crying.I tried increasing potassium, magnesium, even the bar of soap under the sheet, but none of it helped me. Then I started untucking my flat sheet at the foot of the mattress. No more cramps! The pressure from the sheet and the blankets isn't there anymore, and neither are the cramps.

I do eat a lot of bananas and drink lots of water for my kidney problem but I take Hylands Leg Cramp Remedy when needed, available at Walmart. Calms it right down, I think it has quinine in it.

There is a homeopathic product my husband and I use called Cramp 911. It contains magnesium and is topical so it doesn't interact with other medications. It starts to work 15 seconds after you apply and lasts for hours. My husband is a tennis pro, so he sometimes gets acute spasms, especially if he's dehydrated. Statins can contribute as well. I'm a runner. We like this product the best of those we've tried. Good luck.

Wow, the pickle juice worked! Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

My DH had a really painful leg spasm in both legs at the same time (ugh). He takes potassium pills daily so I think its just a fluke.

He was in a lot of pain (started making twitches that resembled Cosmo Kramer). I googled and came upon this thread. I saw the multiple Pickle Juice response and asked him "are you still in a lot pf pain?", he screamed out "yes!" and I said "OK, you're not gonna like it but drink this pickle juice" and handed him 2 oz of pickle juice in a nyquil cap. He looked at me like "Are you crazy?" but he drank it. about 30 seconds later, the cramp was gone in his right leg, about 1 minute later, the cramp was gone in his left leg!

Amazed at the response time, I researched more and it appears that the vinegar that's in the pickle juice is the trick but because pickle juice is more palatable than a shot glass of vinegar, I would say that you should always keep some pickles in your fridge. For the skeptics reading this, I also learned that avid bicyclists keep a flask of pickle juice in their bags when they are on rides.

Also read that the Philadelphia Eagles drink 2 ounces of pickle juice before games to prevent leg cramps/spasms.

I posted about the bar of soap in the bed, back on 11-8-08. After putting the soap in my bed, I had not had a muscle spasm for about a week. I am now, very pleased to report, I have NOT had a muscle spasm for 1 1/2 years! To all you skeptics. I am a very 'hard sell' person and need solid proof to believe most anything. The one night I suffered severely with stabbing muscle spasms, I found a site for the soap suggestion & felt I had nothing to lose. I (doubtingly) put it in my bed. The best thing I've ever done for my back! I don't think it works for other back ailments, such as nerve pain or spine issues, but for spasms. It works!

I had muscle spasms all over my body for years to the point I would be screaming in pain in front of people at work.

Back when I COULD work. They got so bad that I just couldn't get out of bed anymore. Then one day a pain specialist said that he thought that I had never been properly diagnosed and put me on 100 mg valium 4 X a day and within 24 hours, 80% of my spasms had stopped! It was like magic!

Long story short, I was finally diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease that is like a combination of MS, Lou Gehrig's and Parkinson's. There is no cure and no treatment. But the point I was trying to make was the amazing affect that the Valium had on me. At first I was a little sleepy, until I got used to it. I know it's not a "natural" cure that everyone is looking for, but all I can say is that it worked immediately!

Alas, my disease has progressed to where I am on a morphine/baclofen pump, Valium, Lyrica and in a wheelchair most of the time. The only problem that I wish that I could get rid of, is that my legs wake me up burning, like they are on fire. I wake up so full of joy to be alive and then the pain hits and I start screaming and crying. The 20% of the spasms that the Valium cannot control is in my legs. They are just too severe for that medicine to handle. It's just part of the disease I have to learn to live with. But the valium worked wonderful on the other 80% of the spasms!

What really works to get rid of the pain in seconds without damaging muscle tissue that causes pain for days and weeks,is I jump out of bed and put pressure on the heel of the hurting foot. No! It is not a cure but really works for me to get rid of pain almost instantly. Enjoy this simple tip. Phil

April 26, 2013 Flag

My daughter is 7 years old and has a viral infection. She has been suffering from intense muscle spams all over her body. The doctor says that she can fight off her viral infection and pretty much blew off the spasms. They gave her a prescription for Zantac and Tylenol. Does anyone have any remedies for me?

By Monique B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have suffered with muscle spasms for years and have tried various home remedies and prescription drugs. For me, I have found that Chlorzoxazone works better than anything else. It is a prescription drug. If the spasms are truly severe, you may want to discuss Chlorzoxazone with your doctor.

I would insist he do something to treat this problem or go to another doctor. It's not right to just blow off this problem. I'm sorry your daughter is having to deal with this, and I hope you get it taken care of soon.

Apple Cider Vinegar is suppose to be for muscle spasms ...the store also has tablets of Apple Cider Vinegar.

I have muscle spasms/charlie horse in my legs when I sleep. What has helped me is Magnesium supplement. I take it after dinner and it helps a great deal. It also helps me fall asleep fast. I read alot of natural websites which also recommend potassium. I would try a bananna-a-day first, since its loaded in potassium and natural. Since she is young it is the safer way to start. Sobe has a coconut water which is tasty and has a good amount of potassium. V8 Fusion-Strawberry Bananna has a good amount of potassium as well. If that doesn't work then try the magnesium supplement...start w/half a tab. Dehydration can cause spasms too - drink enough water.

As some other posters have indicated, a doctor who ignores is not that great to have around. Perhaps one that includes holistic (supplements) remedies would be a good consideration. Hope she is feeling better soon! =)

I am not a medical person, either. I am a cancer survivor, having survived ovarian cancer and a set of six chemotherapy sessions.

The particular chemo drugs given to me caused muscle pain and neuropathy. To counteract that, I was urged to take L-Glutamine and Vitamin B-6. I followed their instructions, and I had no muscle pains or neuropathy. At one of my sessions, a patient had horrible muscle spasms, right there in the chemo room. Turned out she wasn't taking either because she didn't like the taste....

The dosages below are for an adult. I took the 30 grams daily specified for a week after chemo, then I reduced it to 10 grams per day for the other two weeks. (I had chemo every 3 weeks.)

I'm sure you'd need to adjust these dosages down for a child. You can ask a health care professional or perhaps a knowledgeable person at your local health food store or natural center. I believe athletes regularly take L-Glutamine to prevent muscle pain.

I mixed the L-Glutamine in a yogurt-fruit smoothie to drink or mixed it in applesauce to eat. It's basically tasteless, but it's gritty, because it doesn't totally dissolve in liquid. I could drink it in juice, but I had to keep stirring, because it sank to the bottom.

Here's the wording from the instructions I received during chemo:

L - Glutamine and Vitamin 86

The following supplements are recommended for joint aches, muscle pain and neuropathies associated with some chemotherapy:

1. L- Glutamine (a non-essential amino acid/nerve protectant). Powder form works better than pill form. Begin with 10 Grams of L-Glutamine in a small glass of water or juice 2 to 3 times per day for at least 5-7 days following chemotherapy (30 grams per day). You may take it longer if you wish as there are no toxicities or side effects associated with L-Glutamine.

(You can buy L-Glutamine at Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods, GNC, NutriShop, Sunflower Market.)

2. Vitamin B -6. Take 50 mg 2 times per day for 5-7 days following chemotherapy.

The following is copied from a jar of L-Glutamine I bought online from a health food/supplement supply place. Again, I assume the dosage is for an adult.

Suggested Usage: As a dietary supplement, take 1 rounded teaspoon (5g) in juice, preferably between meals, 1 to 2 times daily as needed.

Glutamine has recently been the focus of much scientific interest. A growing body of evidence suggests that during certain stressful times, the body may require more glutamine than it can produce. Under these circumstances, glutamine may be considered a conditionally essential amino acid. Glutamine is involved in maintaining a positive nitrogen balance (an anabolic state) and also aids rapidly growing cells (immune system lymphocytes and intestinal cell enterocytes). In addition, glutamine is a regulator of acid-base balance and a nitrogen transporter.*

* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Best wishes, Dottie

massage therapy will help tremendously!

Go to another doctor!

I, too, have heard that apple cider vinegar or drinking pickle juice will alleviate muscle cramps within minutes. Eating a banana a day is supposed to work too because of the potassium. The remedy that my dad uses, that my mother read about, is to spray hair spray in the area where the cramping occurs. I don't know if it is the cold hairspray or its ingredients, but he swears by it! He buys the least expensive hair spray he can find for this purpose. Good luck!

Hi. I get spasms as well and I take some potassium, and water is important. Sometimes I don't get what I need from things I eat so I take one every morning. When a spaz hits, I take one and within minutes, I am fine. You can get potassium anywhere they sell vitamins. Good luck to ya.

Viral infections can not be treated by medication. You can only alleviate the symptoms. This, of course, is what the Tylonol is for-- to help with the pain. If you feel that the doctor did not take your child's illness seriously, you should go to another doctor for a second opinion. I do not think you should be giving your child a bunch of other remedies that may or may not help for what is likely a very temporary problem. I think you might try the epsom salt bath, massage therapy if she is feeling well enough to go out, maybe hot water bottles on the cramping limbs, as these are all therapies that should make her feel better and are non-invasive.

October 23, 2009 Flag

Is there a natural remedy for muscle spasms?

PMM from MO

Answers:

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

My husband has incomplete spinal cord injury. He is paraplegic. He has muscle spasms even though he is on medication for it. Physical Therapy tells us that the muscles have to be stretched, which means daily stretching exercises of his legs. Once the muscles are stretched, the spasms ease. Also, I have found that an electric hand massager does wonders.
vguy (10/12/2008)

By vguy

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Drink plenty of water and take potassium. I personally take 99mg a few times a day instead of one of those honker pills with 350 mg.

Potassium citrate is pretty inexpensive and has done wonders for me.

Before taking any supplement, contact your doctor if you are on any medication or have health issues. (10/12/2008)

By yaffadreams

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I have been using soap in my bed for several years and it always works for me. I do still get some cramps and that is only when I'm not in bed. (10/13/2008)

By Cathy

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Eat bananas-a natural source of K+ (potassium). Also, when you get a cramp, resist pointing your toes. Keep your foot flat to reduce the likelihood of a cramp and to minimize it's duration.

(10/14/2008)

By Diana

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Calcium allows muscles to contract (form a muscle spasm), while magnesium allows them to relax. In order for the body to properly absorb these minerals, they must be taken in a 2:1 ratio of 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. Most people are magnesium deficient, so many have a problem with spasms. Eating chocolate, cooked spinach, and lots of other stuff prohibits magnesium absorption. After taking these supplements for a while, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. Make sure you have adequate potassium intake too. Eat a banana a day. (10/14/2008)

By susanmajp

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

It depends on what kind of muscle spasms you are having. Do they happen at night? If so, you might try some extra magnesium. It's a natural muscle relaxant, that's good for the heart. Also, most people think calcium supplements should be way more than magnesium.

Do you crave chocolate? This usually means a magnesium deficiency. Get a balanced mineral supplement and add magnesium. If you are younger, you can take magnesium citrate, if you are, say, older than 35 or so, take magnesium carbonate. No matter what anyone says, as we age, we become more acidic. Therefore adding acidic things make us feel and become worse. Buffering is important.

Also for relaxation, St John's Wort, tryptophan, 5-htp, among others. I would try the minerals first. There is another area that you might try. I have adrenal fatigue and this can have all sorts of symptoms. Not being able to relax is one of them. Taking kelp helps a lot. I'd try Nature's Way, it is the whole kelp, dried. Iodine is helpful, too. Iodoral is a good supplement for this. There are so many things, without knowing more, these are some avenues to try. Hope this is any help. (10/14/2008)

By Chris T.

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

In my experience, muscle spasms comes from a lack of potassium. Eating a banana or baked potato usually works. Banana works faster if chewed and held under the tongue. I've found it works in minutes and sometimes seconds to relieve muscle spasms/cramps in the legs. Also, my Air Force training reminds you to keep well hydrated. I hope this helps. (10/15/2008)

By Biblequest

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I know this'll sound crazy, but I had bad leg cramps and would wake up nightly. I recalled someone writing about cramps and said they found a spoon in bed did the trick, so as silly as it sounded I gave it a try. I'm thinking it's the cold metal that eases the cramp, but whatever it is it works. I place the spoon right on the cramp and presto gone. I haven't had a cramp in quite a while, but that big serving spoon is right under my mattress, ready to grab when needed. I like the sound of the soap cure, too, although I haven't tried it. (10/25/2008)

By Jan from Bangor, ME

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I thought you all were crazy about the bar of soap. I have a very physical job and have very sharp spasms in my back, almost always, to where I am practically "crippled up". Because of this, I am unable to do much of anything on my time off, but try and "rest" my back. I decided I had nothing to lose, so I tried the soap. Nothing short of a miracle. I have not had one since, and it has been over a week. I even worked a 10 1/2 hr. shift, no lunch break and sitting a total of 10 min., and my back is wonderful. I feel like a young person again. I carry a bar of soap under my clothes and I am doing things I haven't been able to do in a very long time. I really don't don't get it, but it really does work. Don't knock it till you try it. (11/08/2008)

By Patty

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

To lessen the pain and discomfort during muscle spasm, press your finger on the area right below your nose and above your lip, the pain will subside rather quickly. I do not know how the soap remedy works. Is it simply put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed will stop the muscle spasm? Thanks. RY (12/02/2008)

By RY

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Hey everyone. I suffer from constant muscle spasms in my shoulders and neck. I am in constant pain. I have found that using hard rubber balls to massage yourself works very well. I have looked around for several different sizes I found some solid rubber dog toys and hard rubber balls like a super ball work really well. I stand with my back to a wall or door and reach over my shoulder put the ball on my back or for lower back reach around under my arm or for really lower back put one on your butt. Sounds silly, but really works.

You can also do the back or your neck this way and for the top of your shoulder you need a bigger ball like the size of a soft ball so you can lean into the top of your shoulder. Once you try it you will understand what I mean.

I have maybe 20 or so knots in my back. Before I started doing this I could not function sometimes the pain was so bad, but I've gotten much better because of this approach. I also mix heat and cold in as well.
(02/14/2009)

By Charles C.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2008 Flag

I am looking for any home remedies that anyone might have on what to do for muscle spasms. I have had some problems with my sciatic nerve on the left side. The muscles in my left leg were in spasm for 6 days and nights. My back is better, but the muscles in my leg have been traumatized. Any tips concerning this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Tuey

Answers:

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Hi Tuey,

First, a nice warm bath before bedtime might relax the muscles. But it sounds like you sciatic nerve is still a bit wonky. I've had problems with sciatica over the years and the best cure is to strengthen the muscles to hold lift your bones off the sciatic nerve.

To do this is simple. Stand against a wall and push the small of your back into it several times, and repeat this several times a day. If you need to push in on your stomach to get the small of your back there, that's okay. Or you can do the same thing lying on the floor. The important part is to get the small of your back flat with the wall or floor. In a day or two your sciatica will be better. It's very easy, non invasive, safe and really does work. It kept me from being on bedrest for my last two pregnancies.

Susan from ThriftyFun (01/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Go go google.com and search:

piriformis stretch -

for ideas on stretching the piriformis muscle. It's deep in the buttock, and when it gets tight, can really cause problems with the sciatic nerve. Sitting on a tennis ball can help release it too.

Heat, tennis ball, then stretch.

Be sure you have enough calcium in your diet and it wouldn't hurt to have a doc check your electrolytes.

Are you double jointed? This can contribute to "pain in the butt" syndrome.

You should also have an xray to rule out arthritis or problems in the hip or back.

Good luck! (01/19/2005)

By beanygurl

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Magnesium and potassium, I had severe thigh spasms. Read article about magnesium, started taking it and haven't had one since. These were horrible spasms. You need to drink plenty of water. Muscles need to stay hydrated. (01/20/2005)

By jehosky

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

I use an ice pack on muscles that are in spasm. The ice makes the muscle get numb, and it releases the spasm. I keep ice packs in my freezer always for back and neck spasms. (01/20/2005)

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Use Ice Packs for 20 min. once every hour. Then use heat for 20 min. Rotate. Also Ibuprofen for the inflammation can help. (01/20/2005)

By Sherri

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

I've had sciatica for years. I will get lower calf cramps that are killers! My mom has the same thing and has taken a product called Qville, a generic name. Qville is basically quinine. So I've been drinking up to 2 liters of tonic water and since I don't like the flavor too well, I mix it with a little cranberry juice. You may not have to drink so much, but I've found that it does in fact keep the spasms away. (01/21/2005)

By kassi59

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Just try this; put a bar of soap,any kind , at the foot of your bed next to your legs and feet. Just try it. What in this world would it hurt? An old remedy for leg cramps. Maybe this will help. Let me know, good luck. (02/06/2005)

By CAROL F

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

(sent by email)
This sounds very strange, but in the Fresno Bee Newspaper some time ago a Doctor wrote; If you have leg cramps, put a bar of soap in your bed. Not anything like dove or oil of Olay but plain soap. It works for me. bj (03/29/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Take one 5 mg tablet per day of manganese
(do not confuse with magnesium) manganese. No more than 5 mg this is not a water soluble product. Your spasms will disappear as long as u take this once a day;do not exceed once a day. This will not cure your back pain or back problem. It is used to get rid of spasms ONLY! (11/30/2005)

By CONCERNED

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

All of the ideas here are great with the exception of the "soap" remedy, I'm not quite sure that one will work for the onset of the occasional leg cramp, which is what I suffer from. I was hoping to find a quick spasm relieving remedy to apply for my occasional night time leg cramps. So far the only thing that I have come up with that works pretty quickly is heat.

By heating a washcloth in the microwave for about 10 - 15 seconds and then applying it directly to the effected area. I have found in my case almost instant relief. The hotter you can stand the cloth on the area, the quicker the relief, but be careful not to scold yourself. The moist heat feel good and brings about almost instant relief. If someone else has another quick relief method I would love to hear about it. (02/26/2006)

By pgood33605

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

I recently tried the soap remedy and it has worked. I can't imagine why. Does anyone know what would be in soap that would do this? I also take l/2 tsp of cream of tarter (It is pure potassium) in just a little water, and it will stop the cramps almost immediately. Also put a few drops of lobelia in water and drink it. (04/15/2006)

By Evelyn F.

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

I get "charlie horses" in my legs sometimes at night. I used to take a quinine tablet with a glass of water and it would work immediately. I got to wondering how that quinine tablet could dissolve and get into my system so quickly. So tried just the water, no tablet. It worked the same! So now I just get up and get a glass of water and the cramp goes away. (04/16/2006)

By wendee

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

My mom recently told me about the bar of soap. I was eating bananas for potassium to try and stop leg cramps. Tried the soap about two months ago and haven't had a cramp since, until this last weekend. We went out of town and I forgot to put soap at the end of the bed. Didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time each of four nights. Returned home last night to my soap, and slept nine straight hours. Might be an old wives tale, but it works for me. Sleeping like a baby in Washington State. (06/20/2006)

By jdcurrie1952

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

We have great success using the homeopathic remedy Magnesium phosphate (mag.phos.) It stops the cramping in seconds! Really miraculous. Please try it.
Nancy S
Connecticut (06/29/2006)

By Nancy S

magnesium taurate

Just went through weeks and weeks of sciatica spasms. I took 600 mg of Magnesium Taurate and when I went to bed, I realized that for the first time in weeks my spasms were gone. I had read about it but didn't believe it till I tried it. (01/07/2007)

By nospaz

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

I get muscle spasms in the back of my calves and what helps me is to straighten my leg and pull my foot toward me. Sometimes moving it toward me can be painful but it stops my cramping quickly. Now when I feel a cramp coming on I just pull my foot forward and it stops cramping. (01/11/2008)

By nicole

Remedy For Muscle Spasms

Hi Tuey,
I, too, was a skeptic re the soap in the bed trick, however, it truly works. I was in misery (not just with leg cramps, but every muscle I had and not just at night but also all day long) for about 4 weeks and was literally begging my m.d. for relief. All my blood work kept coming back with everything within normal range, so no meds.

My m.d. told me about the soap to help with night muscle cramps but said we would have to work on finding something else for daytime muscle cramps. I decided that if it worked at night maybe I should try it during the day so I used one of the little motel sample soaps in my pocket during the day. In one day and 2 nights I was a believer. Still not taking any meds for it. I have had a couple of tough cramps since but I've found it is always when I don't have soap near or on my body. (07/23/2008)

By buttonsorbows

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 23, 2009
A clown dressed in red balancing cups on their head.
Making a Circus Performers Costume
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Sore Muscles
Sore Muscle Remedies
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 8:24:32 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.