Plant Chard Between Tomatoes for Shade

I have a very small garden and double use all space. Last year I planted Swiss chard starts between my tomatoes for shade. The chard never bolted. Great summer crop. Will do it again this summer.

By Mary V. from Hat Island, WA

I will try that. I am not sure I know which vegetable chard is. I will research it. Robyn

I have chard plants that have over-wintered here and grown the following year. We have months that are over 100 degrees in the summer here, and my swiss chard has never bolted. I've grown it for years and never knew that it could bolt. Am I wrong? Does it or could it bolt?

I remember Hat Island, good for you to come up with double planting ideas to maximise the value of your space. Enjoy your salty air, I miss that now that I live in Moses Lake.

In the past I have done several plantings at different times. By accident this year I discovered that if iI cut the chard off about one inch above the ground, it grows back very fast.

Swiss Chard
Growing Swiss Chard
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingApril 29, 2009
Swiss Chard Leaves
Swiss Chard Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Freezing Swiss Chard
Freezing Swiss Chard
Shade Tree
Shade Tree Recommendations