Cat Splashes Water Out of Bowl Then Drinks

One of my two tabby cats, the older (age 15ish) paws most of the water out of their water bowl. He then laps it up off the floor. This happens about 80% if the time. I've seen him drink out of the bowl normally.

I've heard a pet water fountain bowl may work. He loves to lap water from the bathroom sink drain stopper area as the faucet trickles over an ear. I cannot buy a $30-$50 fountain bowl.
Help! He makes a mess and the boot tray isn't helping contain the water!

By Faith

Try getting a wider bowl. I read somewhere that cats don't like their whiskers to touch the sides of the bowls. Maybe that will help. :-)

Just had a strange idea, how about taking a sponge that is smaller then bowl and putting it in there. Leaving enough room around sponge so that he can get to water. But sponge would keep him from being able to splash it out. I've had dogs do this, figured they were playing because they didn't do it all the time.

Hmm....I may combine both ideas! Thanks! :)

You don't want a cat fountain. The cats like them, but they are dirty. They only filter the particulate matter, not bacteria and other nasties. The pump gets loaded with gunk and slimy stuff and the whole thing needs to be completely taken apart at least weekly for a thorough cleaning. You are better off with a bowl that you can clean properly, every day if necessary. My cat got very sick from drinking from a fountain. I threw it out, I wouldn't even offer it to someone else.

I had a cat who would splash the water out. Then I realized he was washing the kitty litter off his feet. I ended up putting a towel down under the water dish and that helped keep the mess contained. He mostly drank his water from the bathroom faucet.

We had a cat that used to do that also. He was aged also. We realized later on that he was going blind and that he was listening to the water gurgle as it went into the bowl, and he did the same thing with his feet in the bowl. The only thing that we found that worked was one of those big metal roasting pans with high sides and we put the water container inside the roaster pan, but not before the floor was ruined under the water container. Sad to say, we later lost our precious cat, he passed away. We miss him all the time. I am not saying that your cat is going blind , but it doesn't hurt to have him checked to be sure..