Overwintering Potted Plants

I had some beautiful potted plants this year. I was wondering if any of them can be moved indoors. I have gardenias, verbena, petunias, and geraniums. Can any outdoor plants survive indoors?

By Deb from UT

I used to have a neighbor that had a potted hibiscus plant and all she did in the winter was put it in her unheated garage over the winter. I would think if a plant can withstand the outside elements they would survive inside too. By the way I live in South Dakota so winters in an unheated garage can be fairly cold.

I'm trying it with gaura and a few other plants. If you have pets (particularly cats), just make sure that the plants are not poisonous, lilies are a big no-no for cats, as are a lot of others. Here's a list of poisonous plants if anyone needs it:

I bring quite a few of my plants inside for the winter, since I am in NW Michigan and we get pretty cold in the winter. I have kept some plants in our unheated garage (temps stay around 35-40 degrees in the garage), but most I have in our mud room and use gro-lights and full-spectrum lights. I always figure that it is worth a try with plants, since they will surely die outside. I have been surprised over the years with which ones will survive and which ones don't make it.

October 13, 2012 Flag

I have three potted mums and was wondering if I can keep them in the pots over the winter? I live in northern Illinois.

By Evaline L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can leave them in the pots but need to bring them inside. Trim down, and put them in a dark place. Better yet plant them in the yard as soon as possible. Trim down and cover with mulch or a big pile of leaves. Mine come back each spring and I think they are better off being planted. I live in Ma. and it gets pretty cold here!

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 21, 2010
A pine tree in a pot.
Overwintering Potted Evergreens
Potted Plant
Protecting Furniture from Potted Plants
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Photo of a potted plant.
Filler Ideas for Potted Plants