Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Super Glue on Granite

I was helping my daughter with a project for school that involved pasting a bunch of stuff to a paper pumpkin. Well, I decided to go with Gorilla or Super glue to make sure it stuck. We put the paper pumpkin on the granite countertop to dry for a few days and when we picked it up, we saw spots where the glue seeped through the paper. It looks as though it actually dried out the granite. How do I get this out? Please help!

By Stacey from Merritt Island, FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jayme Morrison- P.01/08/2014

Steamer! Hand held steamer will work safely and quickly.

By Anonymous [848]10/20/2010

'Acetone' nail polish remover. That's what manicurists use to remover super glue when they work on sculptured finger nails. I've used it to remove super glue spills on my skin, once on linoleum floor and a couple of times on a laminate counter top with no problems or damage and granite counter tops are much sturdier than laminate. ;-)

By remodeling10/20/2010

Use acetone or paint thinner or Goof Off everything is pretty safe on granite or combination of all three and lightly scrape with putty knife.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Super Glue on Granite

How do I remove super glue from granite counter-top?

GM from Phoenix

RE: Super Glue on Granite

Very gently use a single edge razor blade and carefully run it across the granite horizontally being careful not to scratch the granite. This is what my granite guy recommended to me when it happened to me.
Janet in GA (03/22/2007)

By GaJan

Archive: Super Glue on Granite

How can I remove super clue from my granite countertop?

By Barbara from Manhattan, KS

RE: Super Glue on Granite

Acetone nail polish remover takes super glue off skin. Should work on granite. Try it in an inconspicuous place first. (12/14/2009)

By Omanana

RE: Super Glue on Granite

Use a flat-edged razor blade. You place the blade flat on the counter (don't use a corner of the blade; use the full blade flat on the granite). You sort of "push" it away from you, which will scrape the superglue from the granite. I used to be the general manager at company that created and installed granite and marble countertops. We used superglue to fill in small imperfections in the granite. Basically, if there was a little hole or some kind of pock mark in the granite, we put a small amount of superglue in the hole and then scraped the flat edge of the razor blade across the top, and that fixed the hole so that foodstuffs wouldn't get into the hole. Since granite and marble are natural products, those types of imperfections exist, and that's how most of the installers handle that problem.

I've not ever tried acetone on a granite countertop, but I advise against it. It is likely to help to remove the superglue, but is also likely to damage your lovely granite and dissolve any sealant that had been put on the granite. Remember to apply a good, quality sealer once a year (some do it more often, and that's not a bad idea). If you do try the acetone (or have already tried it), if it doesn't wreck the granite, I'd recommend sealing it immediately. I hope my response helps. (12/14/2009)

By tsiegl

RE: Super Glue on Granite

Acetone works well (combined with a little elbow grease). I had Gorilla glue on my brand new granite counter tops right after we had rebuilt our home. My plumbing contractor gave me this tip. Use acetone and a clean white rag, after glue is gone rinse with cold water. (12/17/2009)

By lostinthe

RE: Super Glue on Granite

This has happened to me also, but what I used was a kinda steel wool scrubber dunked in steaming hot faucet water with some nail polish remover. It got most of it off, but not all of it. I would recommend trying this today, then leaving it alone for a full 24 hours, then repeating the process at that hour. Try doing this daily, and all of it should come out in about a week! (04/15/2010)

By StarrAndJacob

Archive: Super Glue on Granite

How can I clean super glue from a granite countertop?

By Joe from Vallejo, CA

RE: Super Glue on Granite

Apparently nail-polish remover (applied the same way you would your nails) works. Just keep rubbing until it all comes up. (06/27/2010)

By AnnieAnnie